Dogawful Officiating

Guest YANKEEBLEEDSMAGPIE

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, KaKa said:

It's so typical really. All the corrected decisions just get forgotten about.

Once this gets scrapped and teams start getting awful, painful and obviously wrong decisions go against them that cannot be reversed, then reality will hit everyone very hard.

As Wolves alluded to, the trade off of being able to celebrate a goal, knowing an incompetent official isn't going to re-ref it will do for me.

I'd rather they just stripped it back and checked "clear and obvious errors" though.

Edited by The Prophet

1 minute ago, mondonewc said:

Shame they can't just use it for the purpose I believed it was created for, "clear and obvious", when it takes more than 30 seconds to a minute to resolve it ain't clear and obvious ffs. Then you get the 5+ minutes waiting for some decisions which is diabolical, and overall whilst I imagine statistically it's improved the % of correct decisions, it's hugely detrimental and ruining fan experience when you are scared to even celebrate now. Get rid for me without drastic changes. 

Agreed

Every other sport with video ref as the clear and obvious rules and it works..get rid of the lines and and do it by sight.. if its clearly wrong over turn it. If its not then the refs call stands.. its there to get rid of the absolute shocker of decisions.. not the toe nail length decisions.

I think we'll simply go back to the bigger clubs getting the majority of big decisions without any way of correcting things then the whole argument will start up again. 

Just needs changing, laws of the game twisting and clarifying. The tech is good, the officials are inept and the laws are confusing and way too open to interpretation. Can anyone tell me exactly what the handball rule is and if it's applied consistently? 

3 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Once this gets scrapped and teams start getting awful, painful and obviously wrong decisions go against them that cannot be reversed, then reality will hit everyone very hard.

That happens already even with VAR, there is a reason why people in the football league continually say that love that VAR isn't being used.

People are way more accepting of an error a referee makes in real time, as they're human, it's a subjective sport and mistakes can happen, and over the course of a season things even out so you just brush it off, but with VAR everything gets analysed 100x over before still getting the wrong decision, it's takes time out the game, people have no idea what's going on that it all becomes a frustrating farce.

3 minutes ago, Skeletor said:

The problem isn't VAR. It's the corrupt officials running it.

Partially agree, but I think VAR is still problematic in itself. The first bullet point in Wolves' letter is the one for me. Hate that feeling of not being able to enjoy a goal once it goes in, even with worldies you still have an element of doubt. 

I think limiting VAR to objective decisions (semi-automated offside, basically) is probably the best way forward. 

As somebody who regularly watches both, I much, much prefer watching football without VAR. I'd hppily have this go through tomorrow even if it meant worse decisions.

VAR has ensured for us as a club that we've had a lot of correct decisions given that would otherwise not have been given. We can't fight against unaccountable referees who can favour the Sky 6 without reproach if VAR goes.

I was against VAR intervening in anything other than issues of fact ie offsides and goal-line issues. But now that it's here, I think scrapping it altogether is premature. I think Wolves have been amongst the Premiership's leading moaners, which may explain their motivation.

It's a question of having realistic expectations. I suspect many of its critics were amongst its loudest advocates to start with, thinking that it would eliminate controversy. That was never going to happen. All that should have been asked of it was to eliminate blatant howlers.

Too many pundits, players and managers don't seem to get the concept of the 'clear and obvious error'. VAR  is not there to substitute one subjective opinion with another, even if a decision could be said to be 'probably' wrong. The processes were always going to experience teething troubles and it shouldn't be abandoned altogether on impulse.

4 minutes ago, 54 said:

That happens already even with VAR, there is a reason why people in the football league continually say that love that VAR isn't being used.

People are way more accepting of an error a referee makes in real time, as they're human, it's a subjective sport and mistakes can happen, and over the course of a season things even out so you just brush it off, but with VAR everything gets analysed 100x over before still getting the wrong decision, it's takes time out the game, people have no idea what's going on that it all becomes a frustrating farce.

It would have been better if they never introduced it in the first place tbh.

Think everyone is just looking at the positives right now.

Yes, they still miss stuff and take too much time over the tighter calls.

However, I think people are really minimising the relief when a glaringly wrong decision has gone against you and it is quickly overturned.

I think with VAR we've gotten used to that and going back to having to deal with those not being corrected is going to be interesting.

Would agree with scrapping it if I had an ounce of trust in referees. The amount of crap decisions against us are fewer I think than before var.

It was supposed to fix any clear and obvious errors but it's simply not been utilized like that at all. You see refs just not even making decisions anymore at times and waiting for VAR to bail them out. That adds more inconsistency as sometimes VAR intervenes but others they won't and stick with the refs decision when often times that's been a non decision really. 

You could probably live with all the negatives of VAR if they were nailing the vast majority of decisions but there's so far nothing to suggest that would ever happen, the decisions are just as bad but now you just have to wait 5 minutes to find them out. 

37 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

All valid points:

GNopAI4X0AAPH6F.jpeg

Tremendous statement from Wolverhampton.

9 minutes ago, KaKa said:

It would have been better if they never introduced it in the first place tbh.

Think everyone is just looking at the positives right now.

Yes, they still miss stuff and take too much time over the tighter calls.

However, I think people are really minimising the relief when a glaringly wrong decision has gone against you and it is quickly overturned.

I think with VAR we've gotten used to that and going back to having to deal with those not being corrected is going to be interesting.

Regarding offsides automating it like in Qatar/CL would speed it right up.

It's the subjective decisions that change from ref to ref (or week to week in some cases) that are the issue.

They need to stop this extra 18 minutes of added time malarkey - no wonder players are getting ACLs weekly - their knees must be buckled.

19 minutes ago, Stifler said:

VAR isn’t the problem, the officials are.

Watch a game without it and tell me the experience is better watching it with VAR. VAR is definitely the (main, not the only) problem, it's absolutely shit in near enough every concievable way. 

25 minutes ago, KaKa said:

They don’t get forgotten about it’s just that people don’t think it’s worth ruining the match going experience over and the ones they get wrong obv stand out more. It’s just boring now every single week there’s about 10 incidents everyone is arguing over. Sky have even made a tv program for Howard Webb to come on and talk about it ffs

the game has coped for over 100 years without every goal getting micro analysed 

18 minutes ago, Jack27 said:

How come VAR works in every other sport with so few issues yet football can’t get a grasp on it?

It works fine in football. In England, in particular, there seem to be issues. It almost looks like self sabotage but it's probably just incompetence. 

I for one have no interest in returning to the days of constant bad calls favoring big teams. It's better now than it was, but a bad VAR call gets more attention than a bad call in the old days because now there's an expectation to get it right.

Firstly, it won’t get scrapped. 

Secondly, I would be hugely surprised if anyone who goes to games regularly is against it being scrapped. It has single handedly destroyed a huge amount of the unbridled joy and delirium that go into attending football. Ball hits net, glance at ref and linesman, go fucking mental. 

I don’t care whether it’s the fault of technology or officials. Football without that is materially less fun than it used to be and I want it back. Bad decisions can be rowed about post match if you like, when you’re in the ground it’s rare that you can even see a bad decision at the time. 

the problem with football is it’s for those watching on telly now, not those in the ground 

24 minutes ago, midds said:

I think we'll simply go back to the bigger clubs getting the majority of big decisions without any way of correcting things

That’s happening anyway. 3 or 4 incidents against Liverpool for us alone in the last 2 seasons 

Get rid of it.

Give me the ability to celebrate a goal in the ground knowing that glancing at the Lino and seeing the flag down is enough to go wild. Give me wishing death on the referee on the bird app post match but knowing deep down it’s a tough job. 

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Miercoles said:

I for one have no interest in returning to the days of constant bad calls favoring big teams. It's better now than it was,

Baffles me how anyone that sat thru Isak goal being ruled out for offside on his debut v Liverpool or Jota’s dive this season can say that with any sort of confidence 

also the officials gave our goal v Arsenal and var tried its best not to give it looking at 3 different incidents before allowing it 

Edited by gdm