Dogawful Officiating

Guest YANKEEBLEEDSMAGPIE

When did encroaching during penalties stop being a reason to retake it?

Really bugs me how refs never enforce this, this was Burton's penalty against Wolves at the weekend. The keeper saves the penalty and one of the players who has encroached then clears the ball.

What is the ref looking at there? What is he doing?

image.jpg

That's Keith Stroud as well isn't it?

You could tell the ref was going to be annoying last night the way he wanted every throw in to be taken to the exact inch where the ball went out and no leeway.  Didn't think he'd be that bad though

I thought so too, but having looked it up it's actually some chap called James Adcock.

Forgot to mention this earlier, but when the idiot gave the free kick all of the players lined up as if the penalty was about to re-taken. It takes them a good few seconds to realise that the ref is an imbecile at which point the Burton players start sneaking away up the pitch.

When the ref was chatting to the 4th official and it became clear that he wasn't going to change his mind Clough was doing all he could to get his keeper to take the free kick as he clearly knew that the ref had dropped a huge bollock and he was worried he'd suddenly remember the correct rule.

Twenty Four hours on and I'm still in disbelief.

Forgot to mention this earlier, but when the idiot gave the free kick all of the players lined up as if the penalty was about to re-taken. It takes them a good few seconds to realise that the ref is an imbecile at which point the Burton players start sneaking away up the pitch.

When the ref was chatting to the 4th official and it became clear that he wasn't going to change his mind Clough was doing all he could to get his keeper to take the free kick as he clearly knew that the ref had dropped a huge bollock and he was worried he'd suddenly remember the correct rule.

Twenty Four hours on and I'm still in disbelief.

Aye .com mentioned this too:

http://i.imgur.com/i0DRQtj.png

Penalties are intended to replace the Goal Scoring Opportunity within open play that was denied by the foul/handling etc, so they have a place in the game but I think the process needs to be redefined.  The current rules give too much advantage to the shooter

(lets play a game of ideas that sound good but a probably crap)

First, I would make the Penalty a one shot deal (with no follow up allowed). Resolves all the encroachment issues.

Second, I would remove "feinting" during the kick/run-up from the process - you never see a player feint like that in a regular play as the keeper is free to challenge the shot, so why allow it in the penalty when the keepers movement is artificially restricted.

Third , I would allow the keeper to move as soon as the player starts his run up (They can always take a smaller runup). And make the penalty shot more like a regular one-on-one play.

I'd settle for just removing feinting

Penalties are intended to replace the Goal Scoring Opportunity within open play that was denied by the foul/handling etc, so they have a place in the game but I think the process needs to be redefined.  The current rules give too much advantage to the shooter

First, I would make the Penalty a one shot deal (with no follow up allowed). Resolves all the encroachment issues.

Second, I would remove "feinting" during the kick/run-up from the process - you never see a player feint like that in a regular play as the keeper is free to challenge the shot, so why allow it in the penalty when the keepers movement is artificially restricted.

Third , I would allow the keeper to move as soon as the player starts his run up (They can always take a smaller runup). And make the penalty shot more like a regular one-on-one play.

No problem with the feint/stutter, it's just like giving the keeper the eyes, body shape etc to sell him.

No problem with the feint/stutter, it's just like giving the keeper the eyes, body shape etc to sell him.

Beardsley has practically an entire YouTube showreel of feinting keepers and making them look like idiots.

Beardsley has practically an entire YouTube showreel of feinting keepers and making them look like idiots.

I seem to remember John Aldridge being one of the first to do the deliberate 'stop' in his run up, just before he took the kick.

Not sure if he started doing that after that miss/save in the cup final.

I seem to remember John Aldridge being one of the first to do the deliberate 'stop' in his run up, just before he took the kick.

Not sure if he started doing that after that miss/save in the cup final.

He was definitely doing it before then. It started late 70s as i recall but can't remember the first.  I do remember it being on On the Ball though, which was ITVs version of Football Focus. I also know that Platini, Boniek and Hugo Sanchez did it regularly.

It's already banned as you take the penalty, only allowed in the run up before you reach the ball.

anyone got a link to a clip of a pundit saying (roughly quoting from memory here), the referee has got it, 'horribly, terribly awfully, completely, incomprehensibly wrong"

i saw it on twitter yesterday but cannot seem to find it anywhere...  :hmm:

He's been dropped for the game he was meant to be refereeing this weekend

Should be sacked, not dropped.

Rubbish, hopefully you will make a mistake a work and get sacked them

Guest neesy111

He's been dropped for the game he was meant to be refereeing this weekend

Should be sacked, not dropped.

Rubbish, hopefully you will make a mistake a work and get sacked them

That happens for some people at work.

Guest neesy111

I'd agree if his mistake wasn't tantamount to an Air Traffic Controller signalling a commercial jet into a lake.

If you keep making mistakes in any job, you could get sacked.

The ref shouldn't be sacked but he should be severely reprimanded for such mistake.

Guest neesy111

In all seriousness he should be made to retake whatever test/exam they do before reffing another professional game. All officials involved in that game should.

Why the other officials?  Referee ignored the 4th official's advice.

Guest neesy111

Missed that, where was it said?

Sure I read in that match thread and somewhere else.  That was the reason for the 5 minute talk they had, can't see why else they had such a long chat for.

Watched the footage of it, ref is clearly some smug, clueless cunt. Looks like the linesman is saying that he knows it should be a retake so Lascelles, Perez and one of our coaches tells him to go and tell the ref.

It takes over five and a half minutes from Gayle going down to them being allowed to take the free kick, over four and a half of which is after the penalty has been taken. Even if there were no other stoppages in that half, how in the actual fuck he gives just 3 minutes of stoppage time is almost as bad as the incident itself. Useless prick.