Dogawful Officiating

Guest YANKEEBLEEDSMAGPIE

On 04/02/2024 at 10:31, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I think the yellow card threshold must have changed in some way? 

People seem able to bring someone down and stop a counter now, without getting booked. Used to be automatic. 

It’s just what always happens, we’ve seen it a million times. There’s an issue (deliberate cynical fouls to stop a counter). The authorities instruct refs to clamp down on it. They do, and there is a rash of bookings. Most managers whinge and cry, some refs start to back off, certain teams get favourable treatment (looking at you here, Man City). At some point (always before the problem is fixed) refs start getting hung out to dry and it all falls apart.

Cynical fouls, diving, 6-second rule for keepers, stupid penalty run-ups, time-wasting on dead balls, whatever. It’s always the same.

And fuck blue cards. Just apply the rules - sorry, laws, who gives a fuck.

I think they need to focus on clarifying what "dissent" really is

There was an instance at Anfield where Dalot got a second yellow for dissent because he threw his arms up in the air for not getting a throw in decision given to him (and he was right it should have been given to him)

Darwin Nunez got a yellow at the weekend at Arsenal when he was wrestled to the ground, didn't get given a free kick and he threw his arms in the air 

For me dissent should be for shouting and abusing officials and not for throwing an arm in the air immediately after not getting a decision.

Referees should be protected from abuse but you're in danger of taking emotion out of the game if you're giving yellow cards for a mild bit of frustration like those two instances

Seeing all these YouTube/Twitter football "personalities" threatening to give up on the sport when this comes into play has me 100% behind the idea now.

For someone who likes both sports, the way football players behave really is embarrassing. I don't know how long it's been like this but being an official is almost impossible because of the way players go on. 

I know this makes me sound old but I've though it since I was about 18 :lol:

25 minutes ago, joeyt said:

I think they need to focus on clarifying what "dissent" really is

There was an instance at Anfield where Dalot got a second yellow for dissent because he threw his arms up in the air for not getting a throw in decision given to him (and he was right it should have been given to him)

Darwin Nunez got a yellow at the weekend at Arsenal when he was wrestled to the ground, didn't get given a free kick and he threw his arms in the air 

For me dissent should be for shouting and abusing officials and not for throwing an arm in the air immediately after not getting a decision.

Referees should be protected from abuse but you're in danger of taking emotion out of the game if you're giving yellow cards for a mild bit of frustration like those two instances

Even more baffling when certain managers are allowed to get away with giving the officials grief for 90 minutes. That's what should be clamped down on. 

13 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

For someone who likes both sports, the way football players behave really is embarrassing. I don't know how long it's been like this but being an official is almost impossible because of the way players go on. 

I know this makes me sound old but I've though it since I was about 18 :lol:

It is and I agree with what you're saying. However, refs had had the means to deal with dissent and bad behaviour for years and have consistently let players take the piss because they're too weak or too scared of booking players en masse. They're refused to do it so the players push it to the limit because there's almost certainly no sanction coming. I'm at the point where I struggle to blame them. They do it because they can get away with it. Had refs acted 30 years ago then it wouldn't be anywhere near as big a problem as it currently is - yeah players are to blame but so are weak refs too. 

6 minutes ago, Jaqen said:

Even more baffling when certain managers are allowed to get away with giving the officials grief for 90 minutes. That's what should be clamped down on. 

Giving 4th officials the abiility to give cards to managers/staff on the benches during games would cut down on it. 

28 minutes ago, jackyboy said:

The foreign players who came here introduced diving to our game and it's now an absolute art. It's cheating and that is what has ruined our game

VAR now encouraging players to dive.

#rememberanfield

37 minutes ago, jackyboy said:

The foreign players who came here introduced diving to our game and it's now an absolute art. It's cheating and that is what has ruined our game

Was Francis Lee foreign ? Is diving any more cheating than the good old Chopper Harris scythe or the Tommy Smith two footer from behind? And we're Leeds called Dirty Leeds because of the muddy pitches ?

Edited by madras

37 minutes ago, midds said:

It is and I agree with what you're saying. However, refs had had the means to deal with dissent and bad behaviour for years and have consistently let players take the piss because they're too weak or too scared of booking players en masse. They're refused to do it so the players push it to the limit because there's almost certainly no sanction coming. I'm at the point where I struggle to blame them. They do it because they can get away with it. Had refs acted 30 years ago then it wouldn't be anywhere near as big a problem as it currently is - yeah players are to blame but so are weak refs too. 

Worthy of more than one like so :thup::thup::thup:

1 hour ago, madras said:

Was Francis Lee foreign ? Is diving any more cheating than the good old Chopper Harris scythe or the Tommy Smith two footer from behind? And we're Leeds called Dirty Leeds because of the muddy pitches ?

some of his were fucking outrageous like.

did he ever get lamped?

2 minutes ago, mattypnufc said:

I see VAR must’ve been broken again first half. 

Pen on Longstaff. Arguably a red card for Yates too. 

I thought I must be losing my mind that they didn’t go into mad detail for the foul on Longstaff. Looked nailed on. 

14 minutes ago, Disco said:

I thought I must be losing my mind that they didn’t go into mad detail for the foul on Longstaff. Looked nailed on. 

More of a foul than Jota against us that’s for sure.