Dogawful Officiating

Guest YANKEEBLEEDSMAGPIE

1 minute ago, David Edgar said:

Think that decision was actually fair enough. Burn needlessly shoves their player. Fucking idiotic.

Their player jumps back into Burn. If anything he's the one that was fouled. Burn just pushes him away so he doesn't go over himself. 

I think VAR is now just a method to create drama, the same with all this stoppage time. It’s a way to manufacture drama, not coming to the right decision, or playing an appropriate amount of time.

I must say my initial reaction was that there was gonna be a whistle because in real time I thought Burn had fouled him.

Once I saw the replay I thought it looked fine though, certainly nothing egregious enough to overturn.

What's the directive for refs when they're sent to the monitor? Feels they almost have to agree with the VAR?

4 minutes ago, Shak said:

What's the directive for refs when they're sent to the monitor? Feels they almost have to agree with the VAR?

It's still the ref's decision I believe.

The problem I think is that refs only get told to look at the monitor if VAR have deemed it to be a clear and obvious error/serious missed incident.

So the fact that refs are being asked to look means that it's already been placed in their mind that the booth has analysed from many angles and thinks they need to overturn the decision. Difficult for them to actually then go against it.

It would be interesting to hear them have discussions with the fourth official like you hear in Rugby where it seems to work well and the ref won't always go with the video official.

8 minutes ago, Shak said:

I must say my initial reaction was that there was gonna be a whistle because in real time I thought Burn had fouled him.

Once I saw the replay I thought it looked fine though, certainly nothing egregious enough to overturn.

I've seen a ref stick with their call after going to the monitor once. It was Michael Oliver and IIRC I thought it was the wrong decision. :lol:

12 minutes ago, Stifler said:

I think VAR is now just a method to create drama, the same with all this stoppage time. It’s a way to manufacture drama, not coming to the right decision, or playing an appropriate amount of time.

We should get Chris Tarrant on VAR to stroke his chin and take his time deciding if it's a goal or not.

Thought that was a soft VAR decision, not the clear and obvious it was supposed to be.

That said, I'd have taken it the other way round 

Edited by Abacus

44 minutes ago, David Edgar said:

Think that decision was actually fair enough. Burn needlessly shoves their player. Fucking idiotic.

It was 50/50 I thought. The player backed in a bit, and Burn barged him as well. I wish refs had the balls to stick to their decisions, no one would have complained if the goal was given.

10 minutes ago, Shak said:

It's a garbage system, think the on-field ref has gone against VAR only once or twice in the PL after going to the monitor. Baffles my mind why the ref can't be called there (or go there by himself as he's not sure about his decision) and make a decision based on what he sees from the replays. 

You could tell the ref today wasn't keen about disallowing that goal but went with the easy decision ie. follow the protocol.

Classic case of VAR actively looking for something/anything in order to rule out what the ref thought was a non-foul. Maybe a little bit of paranoia on my behalf but any goals we score from here on in are going to be double checked for the slightest thing. 

Given the ref didn't give it at the time and was only forced to change his mind by VAR I think he did really well today actually

6 minutes ago, Nowhere Man said:

VAR seems to be just content for TV discussion. Be interesting to see Wolves chalked off goal against West Ham, more controversy it seems. 

2mins 40s, ridiculous decision

Edited by geordie_b

2 minutes ago, geordie_b said:

2mins 40s, ridiculous decision

Probably up there with the worst ref decisions I’ve ever seen to overturn a goal for that 

1 hour ago, David Edgar said:

This^^^^ if he doesn’t push him forcefully in the back it gets given 

I'd love to understand what Burn did so badly today that Evertons defence did so correctly when wrestling him down every time we had a corner on Tuesday like.

The other thing from Tuesday was after Everton were given a penalty for wrestling in the box he realised he couldn't keep on ignoring it in our box. So every corner he stops, takes his time telling them to watch themselves which they of course ignored. The worst one was when the corner taker was already on his run up, Schar moves away from his marker who hauls him back by the shirt so he blows the whistle a nano-second before the corner is taken so he can remind the Everton player he's not allowed to do that. Spineless- you're a referee not his fucking social worker man. Let the corner be taken and if he's still got Schars shirt give the penalty.

Edited by geordiesteve710

1 hour ago, Checko said:

It's still the ref's decision I believe.

The problem I think is that refs only get told to look at the monitor if VAR have deemed it to be a clear and obvious error/serious missed incident.

So the fact that refs are being asked to look means that it's already been placed in their mind that the booth has analysed from many angles and thinks they need to overturn the decision. Difficult for them to actually then go against it.

It would be interesting to hear them have discussions with the fourth official like you hear in Rugby where it seems to work well and the ref won't always go with the video official.

Bang on.  I am actually a fully paid up member of VAR.  Watching mistakes and indiscretions on tv/video I think is fantastic.  However, there is still human error at fault here.  Nowt to do with VAR (which is brilliant), this was totally down to an arsehole VAR assistant and a weak inept referee.

31 minutes ago, geordiesteve710 said:

I'd love to understand what Burn did so badly today that Evertons defence did so correctly when wrestling him down every time we had a corner on Tuesday like.

The other thing from Tuesday was after Everton were given a penalty for wrestling in the box he realised he couldn't keep on ignoring it in our box. So every corner he stops, takes his time telling them to watch themselves which they of course ignored. The worst one was when the corner taker was already on his run up, Schar moves away from his marker who hauls him back by the shirt so he blows the whistle a nano-second before the corner is taken so he can remind the Everton player he's not allowed to do that. Spineless- you're a referee not his fucking social worker man. Let the corner be taken and if he's still got Schars shirt give the penalty.

If shirt pulling in the penalty area was actually penalised you can bet it would vanish overnight. It's blatant cheating and it actually spoils the game as it means less goals. I don't know why VAR hasn't been implemented in this regard, it's like a free pass. I'm sure attackers do it as well, but then they lose the advantage of the set piece if the goals are ruled out on a VAR check.

O'Neill's going to get the book thrown at him for calling out the ref's bottling it in overturning the decision which cost them an equaliser, but it needed to be done. VAR can only work if refs have the balls to ignore questionable reviews.

54 minutes ago, TRon said:

If shirt pulling in the penalty area was actually penalised you can bet it would vanish overnight. It's blatant cheating and it actually spoils the game as it means less goals. I don't know why VAR hasn't been implemented in this regard, it's like a free pass. I'm sure attackers do it as well, but then they lose the advantage of the set piece if the goals are ruled out on a VAR check.

Couldn't agree more.  So frustrating.

In my opinion, the Wolves goal should be ruled offside. The player is right in front of the goalkeeper, and it doesn't matter if the keeper wouldn't reach it. 

What makes it worse is that Man City had a similar decision in their favour earlier this season when Akanji quite clearly confused the goalkeeper in the offside position. 

So in that sense, if that goal was given then the goal today should have stood. 

Also now that the game has finished and it probably helped that we won. I think the goal for us was correctly disallowed. 

Still though, VAR is being used too much to over referee games and should only be used if there is a blatant and obvious error. Subjective fouls should stay with the on field decision.