Dogawful Officiating

Guest YANKEEBLEEDSMAGPIE

I don’t really agree, I just think the culture of football is to have a go at referees. Almost regardless of what they actually do. 

Of course they do some mad things and make some mistakes, and those should be addressed. 

But overall the assumption should be that they are trying to get it right. 

24 minutes ago, Pokerprince2004 said:

Just watched 'Ref Watch' on Sky Sports News and Dermot Gallagher went through all the rules regarding offside for Andersons goal and said there was no way that goal should have been ruled offside. Was completely on our side and said the ref was definitely wrong. I think Tierney is so damn lucky we got a winner as if it finished 1-1 there would've been hell on IMO

There should still be hell on for officials who make such bad decisions. Worse than Tierney is whoever was in charge of VAR. Should not be sitting in a VAR room after such a bad call.

Referees in the PL are spineless and incompetent. Haven't seen the Mitro incident talked about on here, but have a feeling I'll support his actions, in a guilty pleasure kind of way :lol: 

54 minutes ago, Stifler said:

In regards to the Mitro incident, the referee’s have honestly had this coming for years and it’s of their own making.

Yes give Mitro a ban, but let’s not sit around and neglect the fact that it’s a problem of their own making.

This is dangerous nonsense

10 minutes ago, Conjo said:

Referees in the PL are spineless and incompetent. Haven't seen the Mitro incident talked about on here, but have a feeling I'll support his actions, in a guilty pleasure kind of way :lol: 

Both Felipe and Niakhate had the opportunity to clear the ball so even that ESPN article is overly forgiving to the VAR.

I actually don’t think the rule is that complicated tbh, I completely get what they’re trying to do with it but we need to move VAR away from a few officials in a room and have multiple (preferably foreign) VARs independently reviewing incidents and writing up a report after each game.

I can't stand it when they'll say what's basically akin to 'yes, this is fucked up, but the officials were following the rules' when even on that level it's clear that that's not really the case and they've fucked up. 

Edited by Kid Icarus

Just now, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Do you know who was right? :lol:

I saw a bad quality video of it but both looked like stonewallers from replays. Referees need the help is all I say. :lol:

I don't agree with requiring referees be available to explain their decisions to TV as it just opens them up to discussion (i.e. Abuse) from those who don't like the decisions. 

But I would love to see the PGMOL publish a response/Confirmation to all VAR decisions with the reason for the decision.  Whether we agree with their decision (i.e. was the Forest defender making an intentional play or not) at least we know why the decided.  This should be a "press release" type of publication that is send out with a formal reference to the LOTG and the interpretation of the situation and how it was applied to the laws.

And perhaps this would encourage more "Yeah, we got it wrong, but can use this to educate for the future" opportunities.  I'd like to think that this is happening behind the scenes, but not sure it is, and would love to see this encouraged.

I would also love to see/hear the referee-to-VAR discussion broadcast to the TV.  It works very well in Rugby and I think that knowing that the discussion, and the decision process, is being recorded and published makes the decision process more thorough.  Would the Referee / VAR Ref have said (knowing it was going to the TV) that Forest defender was not making an intentional play during a process that is publicly aired?  I think it would force a clearer decision process.

I would also like the see the Referees ask "did you show me ALL the views" so that the VAR has to confirm that they didn't keep any back.  Filtering out the "you didn't need to see that" views does not help the referee.

42 minutes ago, Exiled in Texas said:

I don't agree with requiring referees be available to explain their decisions to TV as it just opens them up to discussion (i.e. Abuse) from those who don't like the decisions. 

But I would love to see the PGMOL publish a response/Confirmation to all VAR decisions with the reason for the decision.  Whether we agree with their decision (i.e. was the Forest defender making an intentional play or not) at least we know why the decided.  This should be a "press release" type of publication that is send out with a formal reference to the LOTG and the interpretation of the situation and how it was applied to the laws.

And perhaps this would encourage more "Yeah, we got it wrong, but can use this to educate for the future" opportunities.  I'd like to think that this is happening behind the scenes, but not sure it is, and would love to see this encouraged.

I would also love to see/hear the referee-to-VAR discussion broadcast to the TV.  It works very well in Rugby and I think that knowing that the discussion, and the decision process, is being recorded and published makes the decision process more thorough.  Would the Referee / VAR Ref have said (knowing it was going to the TV) that Forest defender was not making an intentional play during a process that is publicly aired?  I think it would force a clearer decision process.

I would also like the see the Referees ask "did you show me ALL the views" so that the VAR has to confirm that they didn't keep any back.  Filtering out the "you didn't need to see that" views does not help the referee.

Agree with all of this post but especially the bit in bold. If anyone thinks having to face the media afterwards would lessen any bias in the officials decision-making then they haven't been paying attention for the last 25 years. 

Was on a complete high and had a great weekend so wasn't annoyed at all about the disallowed goal, my view from the away end of the screen(s) inside the ground was naff as well so didn't see it until I watched the game back last night.

Now that I've seen it it's absolutely baffling. We've had 2 goals taken off us this season through VAR, both of which have been just categorically wrong decisions. Anderson v Forest and Willock/Mitchell OG v Palace. Thankfully it didn't cost us on Friday, but fucking hell.

Edited by HaydnNUFC

6 hours ago, Skeletor said:

That's it? :lol: Was hoping for a bit more tbh. A slight nudge to the shoulder.

It's a red card of course, but I wish refs started handing out cards to players who cannot shut up and just accept the decision the ref makes in general. Maybe the rat faced Bruno would stop doing it after his 20th yellow in a row or so. Not surprised something like this happend as all refs let so much complaining slide without punishment.

30 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Was on a complete high and had a great weekend so wasn't annoyed at all about the disallowed goal, my view from the away end of the screen(s) inside the ground was naff as well so didn't see it until I watched the game back last night.

Now that I've seen it it's absolutely baffling. We've had 2 goals taken off us this season through VAR, both of which have been just categorically wrong decisions. Anderson v Forest and Willock/Mitchell OG v Palace. Thankfully it didn't cost us on Friday, but fucking hell.

Joelinton 'handball' v Southampton in the cup too.

I'm not sure why there's been so much controversy over the Man Utd game. Willian clearly handballs it, defo red. 

Light push or not Mitrovic cannot and must not ever touch a ref in that kind of aggressive manner, clear red.

Silva, completely in the wrong over the penalty, red for dissent.

Not sure what the fuss is, all those decision were correct, it pains me to say it as it was Manure mind.

I think it's worrying that some in this thread feel like the refs have 'had it coming' when it comes to the Mitro red card. Even more so that the ref made the completely correct decision.

Even if he hadn't, you can't be handling the ref

1 hour ago, geordiesteve710 said:

Agree with all of this post but especially the bit in bold. If anyone thinks having to face the media afterwards would lessen any bias in the officials decision-making then they haven't been paying attention for the last 25 years. 

Or they have seen how much it defuses tensions in other leagues to see a man own up to his mistake so people can move on..?

53 minutes ago, Tisd09 said:

The main change id like to see is them being mic’d up, no hiding bad decisions then. Would have loved to have heard how they reached the conclusion they did on Friday evening 🤔

I'd like to see that at least trialled at a decent level. 

However it wouldn't have made a difference to the other nights debacle.

Edited by madras

3 hours ago, HaydnNUFC said:

I presume you discounted it on purpose because it was less cut and dry than those ones, but I've still seen absolutely no actual evidence to suggest Isak's second at Liverpool shouldn't have counted. So that's three imo. Maybe Joelinton vs Southampton too.

Can't think of any the other way around where we've really gotten away with it, though there might be one and I just can't remember. The goal Wolves had disallowed in August was the correct decision and I can't think of any others off the top of my head. Same opponent but the other weekend with Pope's howler is probably the closest, but we're still due a couple more if this is going to even itself out.