Hatem Ben Arfa

Rich

To me it looked like Shola was knackered to the point he was nursing a knock or something, people bang on about his play - I think the big fella is honestly just too big for his own bones or body to handle.  He was a bit like Sammy before, thin and leggy - now hes built like a damn tank and it looks to have massively changed his fitness levels and ability to the point where hes just all power and good for about 30 mins.

To me it looked like Shola was knackered to the point he was nursing a knock or something, people bang on about his play - I think the big fella is honestly just too big for his own bones or body to handle.  He was a bit like Sammy before, thin and leggy - now hes built like a damn tank and it looks to have massively changed his fitness levels and ability to the point where hes just all power and good for about 30 mins.

good point that. will be interesting to see what sort of player Sammy turns into when he bulks up a bit.

Odd how Shola didn't have a quarter of Sammy's pace when he was leggy and skinny.

I would say that Shola was a better player than Sammy is when he first broke into the team although he was probably a year or two older than Sammy at that time.  Let's not bring the thread down talking about Shola.

Ben Arfa also plays the ball into space as a given - asking a bit more of the receiver and keeping them on their toes. philosophy of permanent movement and link up as opposed to people rigidly sticking to their position.

in the piece louise taylor wrote on him she mentioned that maybe he's a step or two ahead of some of our players in terms of his speed of thought when he's on the ball, and lack of movement of players around him

i think there's an element of truth in this, perhaps the same goes for cabaye, if we get 2 strong full backs who can get up and down the flanks with ease overlapping hopefully that'll change our approach and allow HBA to get on the ball looking for passes 'cause he's fucking amazing at picking a pass to a runner off the ball

i just don't think we have enough of it off the ball just now

Ben Arfa also plays the ball into space as a given - asking a bit more of the receiver and keeping them on their toes. philosophy of permanent movement and link up as opposed to people rigidly sticking to their position.

in the piece louise taylor wrote on him she mentioned that maybe he's a step or two ahead of some of our players in terms of his speed of thought when he's on the ball, and lack of movement of players around him

i think there's an element of truth in this, perhaps the same goes for cabaye, if we get 2 strong full backs who can get up and down the flanks with ease overlapping hopefully that'll change our approach and allow HBA to get on the ball looking for passes 'cause he's f***ing amazing at picking a pass to a runner off the ball

i just don't think we have enough of it off the ball just now

Let me just say I completely agree with you. Its extremely hard to play when youre ahead of a player technically in your head if the player doesnt move. Best on Saturday along with Ba wouldve given so many more options for Ben Arfa. Best movement was very good throughout and I dont know if it was because he was sitting a bit deeper and not getting called for offside every 15minutes or because he basically overshadowed our other crap striker who was absolutely embarassing. I think from what Ive seen and heard that Erdinc - Ba would be a great partnership with their movement for Cabaye and Ben Arfa behind to play balls to them.

We have been very static before in other seasons, and I think our off the ball movement this season has been good especially in midfield with Cabaye and tiote and a major reason why we are where we are. Last season Carroll, Barton and Nolan meant a very static way of play, the movement across the team has been excellent this season for a majority of the games but we still lack it a bit upfront.

Speaks volumes of the talent of the player, when he's being spoken about so positively, despite not stringing more than 3 starts together in the last 17 months. It's easy to forget that he is actually still, a bit short of match practice and fitness.

The ordeal he has been through over the last 18 months should not be forgotten. To be back displaying such a sublime level of skill and looking physically stronger than before says a lot about his determination to succeed.

One of the Guardian's football jouronos tweeted this earlier:

@Paul_Doyle Paul Doyle

Strange development here, as rapper apparently launches legal proceedings against Hatem Ben Arfa after L'Equipe int/v: tinyurl.com/6t34e5n

Can one of our lovely French posters please shed some light on this?

@Paul_Doyle Paul Doyle

Strange development here, as rapper apparently launches legal proceedings against Hatem Ben Arfa after L'Equipe int/v: tinyurl.com/6t34e5n

HBA nearly quit football to become part of a Muslim cult - Sufism iirc and that it was a French rapper (Malik I think he was called) and his manager, that got him into it. His ego was too big to kiss the leader's feet though, so he left, it was part of his interview yesterday. Interesting lad, eh?

Accused of indoctrination by Hatem Ben Arfa in an interview with L'Equipe on Monday, the rapper Abd al-Malik decided to file a complaint against the Newcastle player.

As in his songs or his slams, Abd al-Malik's reply quickly and easily. The rapper, who was accused of indoctrination by the Newcastle football player, Hatem Ben Arfa, decided to press charges against the former Marseille. In an interview with the newspaper L'Equipe , Ben Arfa did not mince his words to Régis Fayette-Mikano (the real name of Abd al-Malik) stating that he had "been indoctrinated by Abd al-Malik and Fabien Coste (...) at a time of great vulnerability. " Through the voice of their lawyer, Isabelle Wekstein, the singer and his manager were quick to reply: "These claims are false and seriously undermine the honor and consideration of Abd al-Malik and Fabien Coste. " In a long statement, the lawyer goes further and explains the story: "In early 2008, Hatem Ben Arfa has tried repeatedly to contact the singer. It was on his insistence and after several months' Abd al-Malik agreed to meet with the player, appearing in search of spiritual guidance. Hatem Ben Arfa was in open conflict with his family and his club at the time (Olympique Lyonnais). He asked for help to the artist and his manager. "This is also after reading a book by Abd al-Malik, that" Hatem wanted to make a spiritual journey to Morocco, an event recounted so absurd and grotesque in the interview, "the statement went further. " However, Abd al-Malik and Fabien Coste has worked for several months to allow for reconciliation between Ben Arfa and his family. They also assisted in his transfer to the OM without receiving any remuneration as is also recognized by the footballer. "The case is a proportion that was certainly not intended Hatem Ben Arfa. The Magpies player, which is not one to lie down in the press, seems to have a bit left to go. "The football spreads attacks as false as defamatory," the statement added. His club Newcastle would like to hope that the former French football is now focusing on his game Just like the goal against Blackburn Rovers , the genius of Ben Arfa are too rare to be reported.

@Paul_Doyle Paul Doyle

HBA nearly quit football to become part of a Muslim cult - Sufism iirc and that it was a French rapper (Malik I think he was called) and his manager, that got him into it. His ego was too big to kiss the leader's feet though, so he left, it was part of his interview yesterday. Interesting lad, eh?

:yikes: :lol:

Sufism is no "cult"

@Paul_Doyle Paul Doyle

:yikes: :lol:

Sufism is no "cult"

It's purely how he describes it, it's not classed as a sect either.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Newcastle-Hatem-Ben-Arfa-says-his-ego-saved-him-from-religious-cult-as-refused-to-kiss-feet-of-leader-article854511.html

What's the definition of 'cult'?

I'd hazard a guess at the technical definition being a form of minority religious worship. To me "cult" has a negative connotation. Sufism is basically Islamic mysticism, and has been practiced for centuries all over the muslim word. To me it's a far cry from being what one today calls a "cult".

cult   noun

1. a particular system of religious worship, especially with reference to its rites and ceremonies.

2. an instance of great veneration of a person, ideal, or thing, especially as manifested by a body of admirers: the physical fitness cult.

3. the object of such devotion.

4. a group or sect bound together by veneration of the same thing, person, ideal, etc.

5. Sociology . a group having a sacred ideology and a set of rites centering around their sacred symbols.

1. makes most religion sound pretty culty

2. makes Newcastle United sound like a cult too

3. makes HBA's left foot sound like a cult