Hatem Ben Arfa

Rich

No he's not, he's the same as every other footballer. Give him a good offer from a Champions League club like Bayern or Milan and he is just as liable to move as anyone else.

When will we learn our lesson about the difference between what players say and what they do?

Bullocks. He'll never leave for a team where he's behind Riebery and Robben in the pecking order, even if Bayern offers him a bigger salary and CL-football.

Ray Wilkins Death Stare!

:lol:

RE the issue in hand you'd have thought people would have learnt with the Carroll transfer.

No he's not, he's the same as every other footballer. Give him a good offer from a Champions League club like Bayern or Milan and he is just as liable to move as anyone else.

When will we learn our lesson about the difference between what players say and what they do?

Bullocks. He'll never leave for a team where he's behind Riebery and Robben in the pecking order, even if Bayern offers him a bigger salary and CL-football.

FFS man Punk, LIKE Bayern, not them specifically. It seems we are ignorant as ever about losing our better players.

I don't want Ben Arfa to leave but don't pretend like there is some special bond between him and the club.

Not saying there necessarily is, but there could be something like, the whole sticking with him through injury, making him the main man when he's always been in and out of starting line-ups, getting him back into the national team in the process. Not saying he's Shearer, but surely he must be quite attached to the club after all this.

FFS man Punk, LIKE Bayern, not them specifically. It seems we are ignorant as ever about losing our better players.

I don't want Ben Arfa to leave but don't pretend like there is some special bond between him and the club.

Not saying there necessarily is, but there could be something like, the whole sticking with him through injury, making him the main man when he's always been in and out of starting line-ups, getting him back into the national team in the process. Not saying he's Shearer, but surely he must be quite attached to the club after all this.

Attachment is one thing, rejecting clubs around us in the league etc but him not being tempted by a club in the champions league, willing to triple his wages is another.

I'm sure he does like the place, the people, the fans, the club etc..... but then so did Jose Enrique. As for the club sticking by him through injuries, we did the same for Owen, look how that turned out.

Ok, it's massively unfair to label him in the same way as them cunts but i think you get the point.

Attachment is one thing, rejecting clubs around us in the league etc but him not being tempted by a club in the champions league, willing to triple his wages is another.

I'm sure he does like the place, the people, the fans, the club etc..... but then so did Jose Enrique. As for the club sticking by him through injuries, we did the same for Owen, look how that turned out.

Ok, it's massively unfair to label him in the same way as them cunts but i think you get the point.

I dunno, he seems different to the typical money-grabbing cunts that are the modern footballer. Probably setting myself up for a huge disappointment, but as long as he feels loved here and we continue to improve I can't see him leaving.

People were saying the same about Ba being a good lad who wouldn't want to leave before Christmas, now he's the latest greedy cunt in waiting.

Nah never to the same extent. HBA seems a bit, well weird for lack of a better term. :lol:

Far more concerned about losing (and replacing) Ba and Tiote. Be very surprised if Hatem leaves, he's found a club that loves him, been patient and worked hard to get in the team and has earned a France recall. I don't see a Champions League coming in on the back of half a good season. IF a massive club was willing to take the gamble it could happen but I'd be bloody disappointed to lose him given our squad lacks a bit creativity.

I don't think losing Tiote would be as big a blow as most make out.

Why?

He's a decent defensive midfielder no doubt, but his disciplinary record, his recent injury record and his lesser performances against 'weaker' opposition mean we could probably pick up a decent replacement for a fraction of the fee he'd command. I'd be more concerned about the worrying signal it would send to our better player as opposed to a lack of faith in being able to replace him.

Why?

He's a decent defensive midfielder no doubt, but his disciplinary record, his recent injury record and his lesser performances against 'weaker' opposition mean we could probably pick up a decent replacement for a fraction of the fee he'd command. I'd be more concerned about the worrying signal it would send to our better player as opposed to a lack of faith in being able to replace him.

I have the same doubts over his disciplinary an fitness record and if a massive bid of say 20M came in it would be tempting. But on his day he's a beast and was part of the reason our defence held firm in many games.

If he can sort his disciplinary record and stay injury free I wouldn't want to lose him at any price. Top defensive midfielders aren't easy to find and we should remember the years of Amdy Faye, Butt, and Smith as a reminder of what happens when you just throw in a substandard player to protect the back four.

I'd say his form dipped a bit compared to the previous season but we'd have a very hard time finding someone as good. We might put the money to squad strengthening but it could leave a big hole in the first team.

Why?

Agree with that.

I'd be very happy to keep tiote as he seems well liked in the dressing room and would rather not disrupt things, he had a worse second season but without injury he should have a better second season. On the other hand also think he probably is the most reasonable of our 'star' players to cash in on, a second poor season and other clubs may notice and his value could drop, we may well be able to get more than one player better than him with good scouting for how much we could sell him for. Of all the players we may lose, least bothered by tiote (as long as planned ahead and replacements brought in) would prefer still to keep the squad together but expect ashley wants to sell someone to bring in new people.

Guest ThievingMagpie

I'm not sure it's as easy to find a quality DM as people think. I my lifetime watching Newcastle, Tiote is probably the best one by a mile. Before he arrived we had a problem in that position for about 10 years.

We nearly solved that problem with Scott Parker before he decided to fuck off to West Ham, even while playing for us I always thought he was a really tidy player.

I'm not sure it's as easy to find a quality DM as people think. I my lifetime watching Newcastle, Tiote is probably the best one by a mile. Before he arrived we had a problem in that position for about 10 years.

We nearly solved that problem with Scott Parker before he decided to fuck off to West Ham, even while playing for us I always thought he was a really tidy player.

We not nearly, we completely solved that problem with Parker, untill Roeder decided he should be "our Gerrard" and moved him more forward.

Agreed about Tiote and I go further back than 10 years, I don't know why people think we can replace our better players so easily.

It's not going back so far really as a designated defensive midfielder is a relatively New thing. Thinking back to the days of lee, speed, hamman, Clarke etc. Even batty was more attacking than the def mids of today.

wouldn't say the problem is one of not having a good enough def mid in that time frame, given we played a middle 4 mostly i don't think a designated def mid is necessary.