Hatem Ben Arfa

Rich

I'd say that acceptance of Pardew's continued status as manager leading to some posters suggesting getting rid our most exciting players on the grounds that he doesn't fit into Pardew's "tactics" is pretty much brainwashing.

It means that the Ashley model has become so ingrained that fans' expectations are so low and twisted that selling off a flair player who doesn't "fit" is anything other than a horrible idea.

That's not accepting the way modern transfers work. That's accepting the reality of the Ashley model of buy low, sell high for players; and hire and persist with cheap managers. And THAT'S brainwashing.

That's the thing though, fans expectations are now none existent but Ashley and Pardew are going nowhere so it's best to get players that fit the managers "plan" and may get us mid table, most fans have given up tbh

I'd say that acceptance of Pardew's continued status as manager leading to some posters suggesting getting rid our most exciting players on the grounds that he doesn't fit into Pardew's "tactics" is pretty much brainwashing.

It means that the Ashley model has become so ingrained that fans' expectations are so low and twisted that selling off a flair player who doesn't "fit" is anything other than a horrible idea.

That's not accepting the way modern transfers work. That's accepting the reality of the Ashley model of buy low, sell high for players; and hire and persist with cheap managers. And THAT'S brainwashing.

It's not brainwashing, but I get what you mean. I think a lot of the posts about getting rid of all our good players and getting Pulis as assistant (!) etc are just people finding another way to say how shite they think Pardew is.

Guest bimpy474

This Ashley buy low sell high stuff. As accurate as it seemed at the time hasn't really happened has it ?, yet. Carroll aside, which was a ridiculous out of the blue transfer. And Carroll's transfer doesn't even count as we didn't buy him.

Ba wanted to go, as did Enrique. So, i've still not seen this buy low sell high in action yet tbh.

This Ashley buy low sell high stuff. As accurate as it seemed at the time hasn't really happened has it ?, yet. Carroll aside, which was a ridiculous out of the blue transfer. And Carroll's transfer doesn't even count as we didn't buy him.

Ba wanted to go, as did Enrique. So, i've still not seen this buy low sell high in action yet tbh.

We just buy people who won't be worthless when/if we sell them. It's not a profit-making strategy, it's just a business tactic to make sure you don't invest a lot in worthless assets.

Guest bimpy474

We just buy people who won't be worthless when/if we sell them. It's not a profit-making strategy, it's just a business tactic to make sure you don't invest a lot in worthless assets.

Agreed but i've still to see this buy low to sell high stuff. I see the logic in it, It just hasn't happened yet imo.

Guest Roger Kint

Agreed but i've still to see this buy low to sell high stuff. I see the logic in it, It just hasn't happened yet imo.

No we just sell all our best players!!!

Guest bimpy474

No we just sell all our best players!!!

How very dare you, Shola will never be sold :lol:

Guest Roger Kint

:lol: will be here after the stadium erodes away him

Aye, he'll outlive religion :lol:

Just Shola and the cockroaches left :lol:

What I hope has happened is that Ashley has realised the need for a bit of flexibility.

In the Keegan era, Beardsley was a crucial buy. He was never going to have any resale value, but he didn't cost the earth and more than made up for the cost by his contribution.

I think they're right to be cautious about too many transfers like that, but there's often a case for an exception. Like Maloney IMO.

Any transfer policy will have flaws in it. There is a need to assess each given situation and be flexible towards it if it warrants.

I respect the need to be thrifty, but there is also a need to compete. Last summer was a farce.

That's valid - but there was a fair bit of rhetoric about not buying over a certain age and a player having to have a resale value. And perhaps it is incorrect to link buy low with sell high; but the purchases of Gosling and Amalfitano suggest that price over value is a consideration. One might argue that the whole "Can't resist huge offers" that we heard last summer and this is tantamount to saying we're open to big offers (as opposed to keeping mum about outgoings until the situation arises...)

Guest VanBarduck

@Trebleseven just seen Hatem Ben Arfa working out in the gym here in Las Vegas Dave. Head to toe in NUFC training gear. Must be a good sign