Hatem Ben Arfa

Rich

http://www.thejournal.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/newcastle-united-v-crystal-palace-6863656

Newcastle v Crystal Palace preview: Divorce beckons, but we will miss Ben Arfa

Mar 22, 2014 06:55

By Mark Douglas

Since Hatem Ben Arfa signed for Newcastle United the club have played 169 games. He has started fewer than a third.

To be exact, he has been named in the starting XI just 51 times and been involved in 76 of those games.

Crunch the numbers and thanks to debilitating injuries that’s just 45% of the matches United have played since he arrived at Newcastle Airport with the sort of insouciant swagger which left you in no doubt he was going to be one to watch at St James’ Park.

In spite of his lack of game time, you will notice something bizarre about the Ben Arfa era – he has remained centre stage throughout, whether in the team or out of it.

Other players have scored more goals, crafted more assists and quite simply, played better than Ben Arfa.

Yet the mercurial France forward has come to symbolise the second stage of the Mike Ashley better than anyone – perhaps because he represents the unfulfilled potential of the club itself.

As anyone who has seen Ben Arfa in full flow would attest, there is little he can’t do.

Yet for all his undoubted star quality, the rumblings around the forward have always been defined by mistrust of a player who has failed to ever nail down a regular starting spot at Newcastle.

Again today, he will be on the sidelines as the action unfolds at St James’ Park. As if to prove a point, though, his name has not been far from his manager’s lips over the last few days.

“He needs a good end to the season and he’s aware of that for a number of reasons,” Pardew confirmed ahead of his slated return to the match-day squad this afternoon.

Has he really been that bad, though? For all that this has been painted as an annus horribilis for Ben Arfa his contribution – when involved – has not been significantly worse than it was last year.

In 2012/13 he scored four goals, created 25 chances and enjoyed 81% pass accuracy. This season he’s scored three, created 25 chances and benefited from 84% pass accuracy

He’s been equally involved, too, attempting 368 passes this season as opposed to 352 last term.

Yet Pardew mutters darkly about a player who must convince not only him that he belongs in the team, but also his team-mates. Something, quite clearly, is amiss.

It is a problem which needs to be sorted before this summer’s squad overhaul, which represents the biggest chance to change course since the summer of 2011 – when Newcastle made a definitive break from the approach which had brought experienced, Premier League-ready players to Tyneside.

That close season they signed Yohan Cabaye, Sylvain Marveaux and Demba Ba as the team was given a reboot. This summer will be similar, with Mike Ashley understood to have signalled this week that he is willing to sanction funds for a major overhaul.

Pardew entered Tuesday’s transfer summit with his own list – made up largely of players he would be prepared to allow to leave St James’ Park this summer. Ben Arfa’s name is understood to have featured, something he as good as admitted in Thursday’s press conference. The problem for Ben Arfa is the mitigation is starting to evaporate.

While the stats suggest he has been important, even his biggest supporter couldn’t make a convincing case he deserves to walk back into this Newcastle team. Weight issues do not speak well of his professionalism.

There is another explanation. Scalded by Newcastle’s slide last season – with shipping seven goals at Arsenal last Christmas at the forefront of his mind – Pardew has taken steps to tighten United up over the last 12 months. For the most part it has worked – United have kept ten clean sheets in domestic competion this term as opposed to just six last season.

The explanation for that is simple: Pardew took his inspiration from the Europa League run when he formulated his blueprint for this season.

They work harder, they play with less width and they are centred around the industry of Cheick Tiote rather than the mercurial talents of players like Marveaux and Ben Arfa.

It is not a system which works for the France forward and both his confidence and application have slipped during his exodus.

He’s now caught between two stools: not playing well enough to make a case for the manager changing the way the team plays but hampered by the set-up.

A sad divorce beckons, as does the end of the mad, bad but frequently brilliant Ben Arfa era. It is difficult to get away from the feeling on Pardew’s watch Newcastle are moving away from Ben Arfa and closer to a system which incorporates players like Luuk de Jong – solid, efficient and occasionally spectacular. It will be less off-the-cuff but it might give them a better chance of success.

Pardew addd: “I like Luuk’s application and he’s given us a bit of presence up top. He needs to convert that into goals and I think that pressure is building as it does on Papiss (Cisse) week by week when they don’t score.

“That happens with all strikers because they can come alive.”

http://www.thejournal.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/newcastle-united-boss-alan-pardew-6863679

Alan Pardew issues stark warning to Hatem Ben Arfa

Mar 22, 2014 06:45

By Mark Douglas

Alan Pardew has told Hatem Ben Arfa he must win back the trust of his team-mates and Newcastle United’s supporters – and admitted it is now “make or break” for the France forward’s Magpies career.

Ben Arfa is back and set for a spot on the bench for the visit of Crystal Palace to St James’ Park today – the second game of Pardew’s three-match stadium ban.

Even with the season meandering towards an upper mid-table conclusion, Ben Arfa’s presence in the match-day squad ensures there are plenty of black-and-white talking points. It is understood that United are considering selling him in the summer after a disappointing season in which he has tested patience both on and off the field.

Pardew, however, denies that he has given up on the forward and says that axing him for a prolonged spell was not a call for him to show a better work-rate. Instead he said it is about Ben Arfa proving to team-mates who want to see him do more that he can be trusted.

He is primed for a cameo role against Palace, who proved at the Stadium of Light last week that they are much more resolute nowadays under Tony Pulis.

Of Ben Arfa, Pardew said: “In the short term we’ve given him a fitness programme because in the last few games he played for us he didn’t play very well by his own admission. His confidence is a little low, and his fitness was a bit low for whatever reason. He missed six days with a family illness so we’ve got some extra work into him and he looks a little bit more confident. He’s not ready to play and start this game but he will be on the bench on Saturday. He needs a good finish to the season and he’s aware of that for a number of reasons.”

Pardew was adamant that he has not shut the door on Ben Arfa, though. “I don’t think I’ve ever done that with any player. I have been accused of that in the past but that’s never been truthful. I’ve not lost patience with him but he has to gain the trust of not just me, but of our players and our fans that he’s the real deal if he’s going to play.

“On the performance at Fulham the two strikers are under a little bit of pressure.”

When asked if he expected the forward to be at St James’ Park next season, Pardew said – rather tellingly – that he “did not have a view on that”.

But the implication is quite clear for a player who has proved how important he can be at times this year – he needs to show more or he will have to find a new club.

Pardew said: “Hatem is in a pool of players that you can ask is he going to be a success here. If it is, then they stay. If it’s not then we’ll move them on.”

Some will accuse Pardew of jettisoning his most creative player in the search for a team that is safer and more functional but the Newcastle boss has defended himself against those charges.

He says that he was prepared to turn a blind eye to Ben Arfa’s inconsistencies if he was adding a strong creative streak to the team but with the United forward struggling to make a real impact in the opposition penalty area it becomes a problem to persist with him. It is the most honest assessment from the Newcastle manager of his forward yet – and also a very stark warning about the future of player who still retains much support in the stands.

Pardew said: “The bottom line with Hatem is this – don’t confuse that I have a problem with his workrate. If he’s getting assists and goals, then that balances itself out. If he isn’t then it isn’t balancing up. He needs to get that balance right.”

Guest neesy111

My uncles mate was apparently at some coaching day at the training ground the other day, they watched the 1st team train etc and then at the end had the chance to ask Pardew some questions. Someone asked Pardew about Ben Arfa and some of his answers were:

We have a better win percentage without Ben Arfa

They have watched some tapes of some performances and the players seem to be frustrated with Ben Arfa's work rate (eh??)

When we get beat heavily Ben Arfa is usually in the team (eh???)

So in other words its all Ben Arfa's fault!

Pardew loves his stats, only when he can use them for his own agenda.  Different when they are used against him.

Some of you make yourselves look like Hatem Ben Arfa "fanboys". Hear no evil, see no evil when it comes to Hatem Ben Arfa. Senior players at NUFC criticise Hatem Ben Arfa and it's those players who are wrong? Those players who actually know the guy and see him every day. Hatem Ben Arfa has a history of never fitting in at any club. Apparently that's always the fault of the managers at whichever club he's at. Hatem Ben Arfa is an extremely poor man's Ronaldo or Messi.

I'd love him to play his way into the team. Who wouldn't? He needs to perform and he needs to do it consistently.

:lol: how can he do that when he's dropped after any game where he doesn't score three? Total rubbish man, the senior players wanna take a look at themselves in previous games. Colo can't say anything, shola similarly, taylor, sissoko, Cisse, whoever they've all been part of some abject performances without Ben Arfa. Easy get out though

You have a photo of Ben Arfa as your picture = fanboy.

Guest neesy111

Some of you make yourselves look like Hatem Ben Arfa "fanboys". Hear no evil, see no evil when it comes to Hatem Ben Arfa. Senior players at NUFC criticise Hatem Ben Arfa and it's those players who are wrong? Those players who actually know the guy and see him every day. Hatem Ben Arfa has a history of never fitting in at any club. Apparently that's always the fault of the managers at whichever club he's at. Hatem Ben Arfa is an extremely poor man's Ronaldo or Messi.

I'd love him to play his way into the team. Who wouldn't? He needs to perform and he needs to do it consistently.

:lol: how can he do that when he's dropped after any game where he doesn't score three? Total rubbish man, the senior players wanna take a look at themselves in previous games. Colo can't say anything, shola similarly, taylor, sissoko, Cisse, whoever they've all been part of some abject performances without Ben Arfa. Easy get out though

You have a photo of Ben Arfa as your picture = fanboy.

Grow up.

Guest neesy111

On that judgement, if you mention anything about Keegan then everyone on this forum can call you a fanboy of him then?

Its funny that fans still actually believe what Pardew is saying, the players also probably think Shola and Gosling are terrible but they still get in the team??

My main point is that I wish Hatem Ben Arfa was worthy of the praise and defence he gets on here.

You can't really have a sensible conversation about the positives and negatives of Hatem Ben Arfa without someone blaming Pardew or all the other players for his failings.

consider the expert job this man has done in reducing fan expectations to little more than being able to pay to breathe free oxygen and then think what he could do to a squad of players who he works with day in day out....they'll be getting told workrate is everything every minute of every day and probably have pics of HBA up on the dartboard, or he gets the private pile treatment :lol:

Guest neesy111

My main point is that I wish Hatem Ben Arfa was worthy of the praise and defence he gets on here.

You can't really have a sensible conversation about the positives and negatives of Hatem Ben Arfa without someone blaming Pardew or all the other players for his failings.

Well it's pretty clear why.  Most people blame Pardew for the situation.

consider the expert job this man has done in reducing fan expectations to little more than being able to pay to breathe free oxygen and then think what he could do to a squad of players who he works with day in day out....they'll be getting told workrate is everything every minute of every day and probably have pics of HBA up on the dartboard, or he gets the private pile treatment :lol:

Yes, he has brainwashed the squad.

Or, HBA can be lazy both during the game which (allegedly) has annoyed the players and also in keeping in shape.

Quite agree with this. Hatem's our most capable player by far but the nonsense I've read about him on here is something, like. Apparently more talented than Bale and Rooney and with KK in charge he'd be the best player in the league - and that's just stuff coming from posters I respect.

I want him to succeed and it's a clear failing by management/coaches that they can't find a system to utilise a player of his standard. Fair enough if we were romping other teams and in the top 5 but we aren't. Some of our football is utter dire and I can't believe that HBA couldn't improve that somehow.

However, he clearly isn't helping himself. There's not many premier league teams nowadays that can have flair players who aren't required to track back and we aren't one of them. He needs to learn that and sort his fitness probs out. The other players must get frustrated as most of them don't have half his talent but probably make twice the effort.

Yes, he has brainwashed the squad.

Or, HBA can be lazy both during the game which (allegedly) has annoyed the players and also in keeping in shape.

i didn't suggest that HBA wasn't a lazy cunt for one second

Quite agree with this. Hatem's our most capable player by far but the nonsense I've read about him on here is something, like. Apparently more talented than Bale and Rooney and with KK in charge he'd be the best player in the league - and that's just stuff coming from posters I respect.

Total hyperbole that, definite reaching. People have said he'd improve, people have said he's extremely talented. The rest is untrue

I've physically read it on here, it's not untrue.

Total hyperbole that, definite reaching. People have said he'd improve, people have said he's extremely talented. The rest is untrue

I've physically read it on here, it's not untrue.

You physically read it?  Like internet braille or something?

I asked you the same question when you made the same comment in a different thread the other day and I got no reply, so when has anybody ever said HBA is better than Rooney?

More talented was what was I read. Use the search function, but you can probably guess who made the KK comment by yourself. Everything I've said there has been said on here in the past 18 months.

I don't want to bring up what people have said when they're using hearts instead of heads because I'm terrible for it, especially after games, but Hatem's got a loyal and dedicated following on here who make him out to be something above what he is. He's a lovely footballer but nowhere near that level.