2nd Half of the season, how will it go?

binnsy

well as we are about to start the 2nd half of the season in a position probably not many of us thought we would be in, 7th place on 30 points,  how are we going to do in the reverse fixtures?  and will we cope with Tiote and Ba while they are on international duty??  Are you feeling confident or fearing for a slide back into the pack?

For me i think our home form will be vital if we want to maintain our current position,  maximum points must be taken against the likes of QPR, Norwich, Wolves, Bolton, Villa.  Avoid defeat against Stoke and the mackems, i'd love 3 points in the derby but will be happy to avoid defeat.  Then hope to pick something up against Man U, City and Liverpool.

i can't see us getting anything from the away games at Spurs, Arsenal and Chelsea but think the key to the season will be how we do in the away games against Blackburn, Fulham, Wigan and West Brom, all winnable but places where we haven't done well over the years.  The other away games against Everton, Swansea are also tough. 

I would like to think we can pick up around 25 points but think our season is going to be defined in the 7 league games after tomorrows game with Man U,  apart from the game at Spurs the rest are pretty winnable.  Massive run of games especially without 2 of our most important players until possibly the last 2 but if we get a decent return it will set us up for a good 2nd half and a top 7 finish, Everton finished 7th last season with 54 points although the previous season Liverpool finished 7th on 63 points but in our relegation season 53 points were enough for Fulham to get 7th.

I'm fearing for the month or two when Ba is away on international duty, he has scored half our league goals this season and without him we'd not be in the position we are in now.

I'm worried because as a team we can perform, but as a team we cannot score, we don't have anyone else in our  squad who can fill the gap and come up with a goal or two ever game or so.

Also, our lack of depth in defence is a big concern for me, if Williamson or Collicini pick up any injuries or niggles I really don't like the prospect of Perch filling in.

Guest BooBoo

Early exit in the cup, some decent wins, some dismal defeats, no significant movement this month, home draw in the derby. Season will fizzle out a tad. Finishing ultimately 8th.

Guest neesy111

Getting very worried, just see signs that our form start of the season was just a purple patch.

We have a manager who seemingly doesn't have a Plan B and his judgement of Obertan is beyond belief.

Our squad depth in midfield wide area's is shocking and this is our biggest weakness.

Too many players out of form means we are carrying too many 'zombies' in games.  i.e. Jonas, Obertan, Best etc

Early exit in the cup, some decent wins, some dismal defeats, no significant movement this month, home draw in the derby. Season will fizzle out a tad. Finishing ultimately 8th.

Sounds about right.

Will be meandering I suspect.

Pretty much depends on whether a) we sell we any key players b) keeping our spine (Krul, Colo, Tiote, Ba) fit. If we can we should be alreet and might finish top 8, if not no chance. I'm not expecting us to buy anyone that will improve our "first XI"

Can see January being a massive slog though.

I think our transfer policy will cost us. We need a striker, I am not sure where the goals will come from once Ba goes to the ACN. A defender is important as we can't rely on Williamson/Colo staying fit for the remainder of the season BUT a striker is just as important imo and not signing one will cost us

Also Pardew needs to change things, the 4-4-2 tactic is not working (especially with the current team selection) simply because our wide players have been rubbish

I don't expect us to get anything tomorrow night BUT we need to beat QPR next week and get a point away to Fulham if we want to finish 7th

Guest bimpy474

Arsenal or Tottenham away in the 4th round, Man City or Man Utd will get a home draw v Spackhead Utd of course.

League 7th just.

The only reason i think we will hold on to 7th is because the other sides in around us our bound to drop points and aint no better and majority of them are worse its not like the top 6 were your expected to win everyweek.......

So prediction is we cling on to 7th due to being " Best of the rest" and Go out of Fa Cup pretty early.......

I reckon we'll get to the quarters in the FA Cup. As for the PL, think we'll just about win the battle for 7th place. It's going to be a hard second half to the season tbh.

Like binnsy said, our home form will be key to where we finish come May.

Think we will panic with the mackems catching up, accept defeat with Ba & Tiote away, worry all Jan about losing key players, lose either tiote or Ba for 2-3months with an injury on NT duty and the season will fizzle out in spectacular style. Probably finish with the same points and same place as last season, nailed on IMO without any important signings (which we wont make)

Nah, he said:

think the key to the season will be how we do in the away games against Blackburn, Fulham, Wigan and West Brom, all winnable but places where we haven't done well over the years. 

:p

Think we'll struggle, the goals will dry up, hopefully the defence will tighten up. I think we'll have an embarassing loss to Sunderland tbh. We need a run of good results to build confidence back, but we'll get more injuries. Reckon we'll probably take 9th in the end if we don't regain our early form.

If we click and we start playing good footy again can see 7th easily.

Nah, he said:

think the key to the season will be how we do in the away games against Blackburn, Fulham, Wigan and West Brom, all winnable but places where we haven't done well over the years. 

:p

:razz:

I think a good manager can make all the difference. Just look at the difference across the road at Sunderland for example.If you can get the best out of your playing squad given your budget then you've done well. Seeing as we've got £10m worth of talent sat on the bench you'd imagine that we are in a great position wouldn't you?

Generally feeling very meh about it all. It seems clear that we're not going to invest in the squad in January and without any new faces midtable mediocrity is probably the best we can hope for. This will always be the case with our current transfer policy I fear and this will be the case until Ashley sells up. Which doesn't exactly look imminent.

I say that, but if we somehow manage to win tomorrow my tone will be very different.