NUFC transfer rumours in the press

JH

Yup, agree with all who understand why Arsenal fans are annoyed. And someone just said "Man Utd. can comfortably finish 3rd." They won the title last year. Why would their fans be happy with a squad that can comfortably finish 3rd? It's all relative. Imagine Pompey fans seeing us complain on here...

Guest bimpy474

The majority of Arsenal fans I know aren't happy and haven't been for quite a while. I can understand it tbh.

Yes being in the Champions League must be murder 17 years in a row. I have zilch sympathy if i'm honest.

Different ambitions though isn't it? They went from being one of the two horse race to not winning anything and being closer to a battle for 4th than one for 2nd.

Obviously the spending of teams like Man City and Chelsea is going to be hard to keep up with but Arsenal seem to have a lot more money available than they ever spend, not to mention losing their best players every season.

From an outsider looking in to me they never seem to address their real weaknesses and are always conservative in the transfer market (I know that feel). Weren't they the most profitable team in the world quite recently? I am sure they were up there and their owners certainly aren't short of a quid or two.

I know but when they spend over £10m each for Giroud, Cazorla and Podolski last summer and regularly do it, and are willing to spend £40m on Saurez, £20m odd on the lad who went to Wolfsburg this summer.

Sorry i just feel no sympathy whatsoever.

Theres 2 sides really. They've sold the following players to teams supposed to be their rivals:

Van Persie to Man United

Cole and Gallas to Chelsea

Song, Fabregas, Hleb, and Henry to Barcelona

Nasri, Abebayor, Clichy, and Toure to Man City

If your team goes from finishing 1st and 2nd every year to giving away practically a title winning eleven to your rivals then you aren't going to be happy, .

On the other hand top 4 every year is still pretty good, about as good as you can hope if your owner's not a billionaire, and I dont understand how any of them can conclude getting a new manager is the answer.

He's not done well in the cups, not withstanding some bad luck at times, but how exactly is Wenger supposed to finish above these teams if he has to give them his best players? Top 4 for 17 consecutive seasons is phenomenal and I reckon he's probably the greatest manager currently managing. Makes them look like absolute brats wanting to get rid of him.

Theres 2 sides really. They've sold the following players to teams supposed to be their rivals:

Van Persie to Man United

If your team goes from finishing 1st and 2nd every year to giving away practically a title winning eleven to your rivals then you aren't going to be happy, .

On the other hand top 4 every year is still pretty good, about as good as you can hope if your owner's not a billionaire, and I dont understand how any of them can conclude getting a new manager is the answer.

He's not done well in the cups, not withstanding some bad luck at times, but how exactly is Wenger supposed to finish above these teams if he has to give them his best players? Top 4 for 17 consecutive seasons is phenomenal and I reckon he's probably the greatest manager currently managing. Makes them look like absolute brats wanting to get rid of him.

:thup:

Guest bimpy474

Just tells you the ridiculous job that Wenger has done really. Immense.

I beg to differ, not about the jobs he's done, that's a given that he's done well. But when people quote the players sold, fine i understand that but he has also bought some impressive players at very expensive prices.

If the players were sold and he had to make do and spend nothing i would be more sympathetic towards Arsenal fans, but frankly i'm not as Arsenal do spend money and lots of it. Just so happens that when they sell, they get very good prices which distort the figures somewhat.

Guest Haris Vuckic

Wenger's best work and most successful periods came when he was spending next to nowt & he's spent pittance compared to other top four teams.

Expectations at Arsenal are of going for trophies and winning them. Something they haven't done in a while. They have money and an exceptional manager, yet they never seem to go for the jugular in the transfer market to make a statement to their rivals.

Their frustrations are understandable imo when you look at the stature of the club.

What about the stature of our club? I know it seems hard to believe now, but for a couple of seasons around the Keegan era they were looking up the table wondering how they could achieve our CL position.

I beg to differ, not about the jobs he's done, that's a given that he's done well. But when people quote the players sold, fine i understand that but he has also bought some impressive players at very expensive prices.

If the players were sold and he had to make do and spend nothing i would be more sympathetic towards Arsenal fans, but frankly i'm not as Arsenal do spend money and lots of it. Just so happens that when they sell, they get very good prices which distort the figures somewhat.

Most of the players he sells are ones that he has scouted out and developed to the next level though. Up till now(maybe) they don't really go out and buy 30-40m players either?

Van Persie to Man United

Aren't they owned by TWO billionaires? :lol:

Van Persie to Man United

Technically neither own them, they both have significant shares though. At least that's how i understood it.

Van Persie to Man United

But they are finishing CL positions season after season. It's not like they are flirting with relegation or worrying about the challenge of Southampton or Swansea to finish in the top 10.

Van Persie to Man United

Technically neither own them, they both have significant shares though. At least that's how i understood it.

Still means the total ownership of the club is worth more than most clubs have so you can't really say they don't have a billionaire owner :lol:

Van Persie to Man United

But they are finishing CL positions season after season. It's not like they are flirting with relegation or worrying about the challenge of Southampton or Swansea to finish in the top 10.

Please can we not go down this road? we are talking about Arsenal and what their fans might expect. Pretty sure there MIGHT be a debate somewhere on this forum if you search really hard about how our club is run, heck I could probably find you 1 or 53 threads if you give me 22 seconds.

Expectations at Arsenal are of going for trophies and winning them. Something they haven't done in a while. They have money and an exceptional manager, yet they never seem to go for the jugular in the transfer market to make a statement to their rivals.

Their frustrations are understandable imo when you look at the stature of the club.

What about the stature of our club? I know it seems hard to believe now, but for a couple of seasons around the Keegan era they were looking up the table wondering how they could achieve our CL position.

that was nearly 20 years ago man :lol: christ oldham were in the league not long before if we're bringing stuff up that far back. They've won a fair few trophies since then and should have won more, had amazing sides, and are in the champions league annually. In that 20 year spell since Keegan they'v done far more than we could ever dream of whilst we have plodded along in the farcical manner we generally go by. They'd done quite a bit before then also, excluding that wobbly spell they had when we were flying.

Guest bimpy474

Most of the players he sells are ones that he has scouted out and developed to the next level though. Up till now(maybe) they don't really go out and buy 30-40m players either?

But you could say he then buys players other teams develop, honestly i'm not slagging Wenger, i personally think he's fantastic, and i love to watch football played the right way. It's just the self pity that some Arsenal fans have.

Hate to say it.. but that was 15 years ago. Blackburn won the PL and they are in the Championship. Villa won the Champions League. It's as relevant as that.

Actually Arsenal, Man Utd and us are the standout clubs that have so far not invested in new players. Our need is far greater than there's though. Arsenal have a squad capable of finishing 4th without any additions, MU to finish in the top three, and we have the same bunch of players minus a few and plus not very many that nearly got us relegated last year.

Unless Arsenal strengthen and buy a top class striker like Suarez I don't believe they can finish above Chelsea or City. Likewise MU need a much better centre midfield, and possibly a strengthened defence to challenge again. I think Man Utd will finish 3rd as the position stands today and maybe Arsenal might get 4th though Spurs have invested in some good players and so far have held on to Bale.

Hate to say it.. but that was 15 years ago. Blackburn won the PL and they are in the Championship. Villa won the Champions League. It's as relevant as that.

Blackburn and Villa are miles apart. If you are going to make a comparison then at least use comparable examples.