NUFC transfer rumours in the press

JH

They're too slow. We've really struggled against quick, physical attackers who run on  hoof balls struck behind our defense.  Andy  Johnson completely changed the game when he came on in the second half. Blackburn at St. James' under CH is another example. 

A great defender doesnt need alot of pace. Im not saying that we sign a slow as f*** defender. If a defender can read the game and have good positioning, theres no need for outstanding pace.

Agreed and its not like we play a Barca-like highline anyway.... i use to think we needed a pacy defender but i have since changed my mind....

2 classy CB's who can read the game can definitely work as Germany are showing with Hummels and Badstuber.

A great defender doesnt need alot of pace. Im not saying that we sign a slow as fuck defender. If a defender can read the game and have good positioning, theres no need for outstanding pace.

Disagree. In certain situations pace is very important. Like when the opponent suddenly hoofs the ball behind our defense, or when we're being counter attacked. But in established defense I agree that it's more about positioning than pace. But in my opinion it's important to put together a complementary team. We already have Colo with outstanding positioning and technique, but he struggles against the quickest and strongest attackers. Same goes for Willy. And Tayls will probably struggle against speedy attackers. We need a defender who could balance out their weakness. Douglas or Mbiwa and Deubuchy will give our team another dimention imo...

We'll get raped on the counter attack 2 or 3 times next season in games finishing 4/5-1 and declare that we were daft for not signing someone with pace, go on an unbeaten run of 10 games and then come to the conclussion that we're actually sound as fuck at the back.

sounds like we are in for the right players....unfortunately we are not willing to pay what is asked.

Who says so? we always do this opening offer stuff to try and get the best deal possible.... there's no reason at all why we cant agree a fee for the targets we want as our opening offers and what clubs want are not actually that far apart.

Colo makes up for his lack of pace by good positioning and timing his interventions well, but he will get caught out now and then. I think it was tmonkey who produced a good analysis a few months ago, the gist of which was that Colo was good when the ball was in front of him, but weak when the ball went behind. If he gets beaten, he can't recover.

Colo makes up for his lack of pace by good positioning and timing his interventions well, but he will get caught out now and then. I think it was tmonkey who produced a good analysis a few months ago, the gist of which was that Colo was good when the ball was in front of him, but weak when the ball went behind. If he gets beaten, he can't recover.

Very much so. He's aware of his lack of pace so uses his nous to avoid being caught out. Clever player.

tmonkey's analysis was bloody awful overall, but that particular observation was pretty dead-on.

tmonkey's analysis was bloody awful overall, but that particular observation was pretty dead-on.

not quite, as Colo is okay when we keep a high line and there's enough space in behind for him to catch up. he's usually got the ability, nous, strength and top speed to shepherd the attacker towards the flanks and enable us to wait for reinforcements. he's also damned good running back to cover for other people's mistakes and putting in last ditch tackles so it's wrong to say he has no ability to recover.

it's more that he's not agile enough to change directions quickly or accelerate powerfully over shorter distances and that causes probs.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/257725/Alan-Pardew-to-pay-price-of-success/?

NEWCASTLE are being forced to revise their spending plans this summer – because of their growing reputation in the transfer market.

Toon boss Alan Pardew had hoped to snap up FC Twente striker Luuk de Jong, 21, for £8m and Lille full-back Mathieu Debuchy, 26, for half that sum.

But both bids have been rejected out of hand.

In the past two years, the Geordies have brought in Papiss Cisse, Yohan Cabaye, Cheick Tiote and Demba Ba for a combined total of less than £20m and all have proved huge hits.

A top agent, who did not want to be named, said: “Newcastle have created a rod for their own back by picking up some top players at bargain prices.

“But it’s unlikely they will be able to repeat the trick.

“They will probably have to pay out more than they planned if they’re to get who they really want.”

Guest NobbyOhNobby

not quite, as Colo is okay when we keep a high line and there's enough space in behind for him to catch up. he's usually got the ability, nous, strength and top speed to shepherd the attacker towards the flanks and enable us to wait for reinforcements. he's also damned good running back to cover for other people's mistakes and putting in last ditch tackles so it's wrong to say he has no ability to recover.

it's more that he's not agile enough to change directions quickly or accelerate powerfully over shorter distances and that causes probs.

Apologies for being a pedant, but the one thing I felt colo truly struggled against last season was pace. Re-watch the WBA home game for example, Long and Odemwingie tore colo a new one. We 100% need a quick centre half