NUFC transfer rumours in the press

JH

Jury is out for me on Douglas; Whenever I've seen him he looks slow on sluggish, and at times his positional sense is very average; maybe his heart isn't at Twente no more and he isn't giving 100% I don't know

Out of interest, how often have you seen him?

I'd say about a dozen times; he's lethal in the air, but just looks really clumsy to me: I don't know, maybe I'm over analysing his performances?? I'm just not sure about him;

I could live with that pretty much.

If we're going to lose Colo, I'd settle for having someone we've clearly watched for the best part of 1-2 years to replace him. I don't think we'd sign him after that long if we didn't like the look of him.

Same here.

Would be a massive stepback if Colo went in the summer and we just settled with Taylor.

Especially as Taylor is a ticking time bomb injury wise. It's not like when he gets injured he's down for 2-3 weeks, it's months. They'll have to get someone else in the summer when Colo goes.

If we're going to lose Colo, I'd settle for having someone we've clearly watched for the best part of 1-2 years to replace him. I don't think we'd sign him after that long if we didn't like the look of him.

Thing is i don't think he will be replacing Colo, i know he's here at the moment but Mbiwa is Colo's long term replacement and any CB we buy will be a partner for him rather than a replacement for Colo.

That's how i see it anyway.

Thing is i don't think he will be replacing Colo, i know he's here at the moment but Mbiwa is Colo's long term replacement and any CB we buy will be a partner for him rather than a replacement for Colo.

that make sense to anyone ?

Twente have kept the most clean sheets so far this season, you don't do that with a clumsy sluggish CB playing.

It's all relative; he plays in a pretty poor league where the opposition by in large is sub standard at best

Twente have kept the most clean sheets so far this season, you don't do that with a clumsy sluggish CB playing.

us and williamson last season ?

Its a fair point I guess.. So using that logic we should be going after Bengtsson instead

:lol:

Don't see why it doesn't make sense..... Mbiwa is basically a quicker and stronger version of Colo while Douglas is a more dominating CB who would compliment Colo/Mbiwa perfectly.

Also if rumors are to be believed Mbiwa has very high wages( wages only Colo can beat) i don't think its so farfetched to think we knew Colo was off sooner or later so we got his long term replacement in this month and would buy a partner for his replacement when he does leave.

Well if Colo quits then Douglas would replace him, maybe not Colo's role, but he would still replace him as a player. Is this what you are trying to say?

Aye Mbiwa would be deployed in Colo's role, of course he replaces him as a player but not the role which is what i was saying.

I didn't think it would be so difficult to understand tbh :lol:

Well if Colo quits then Douglas would replace him, maybe not Colo's role, but he would still replace him as a player. Is this what you are trying to say?

Aye Mbiwa would be deployed in Colo's role, of course he replaces him as a player but not the role which is what i was saying.

I didn't think it would be so difficult to understand tbh :lol:

:lol: the way you put it sounded a bit confusing tbh.

Think Mole is saying that MYM is more Colo-like in style, with his reading of the game and interceptions. Different from a track bully CB like Douglas, which would of course complement a Colo/MYM nicely.

Yep... Next centre half will be the aggressive goal scoreing type that AP talked about... Douglas could fit the bill but I'm sure there will be a few others on the radar...

Same here.

Would be a massive stepback if Colo went in the summer and we just settled with Taylor.

Especially as Taylor is a ticking time bomb injury wise. It's not like when he gets injured he's down for 2-3 weeks, it's months. They'll have to get someone else in the summer when Colo goes.

This - replacement for Colo is vital.

Yep. He's saying that he thinks Mbiwa will be colos replacement in the longer term and that we should be looking for a partner suited to Mbiwa and not colo at this present time.

I think

NEWCASTLE United have pulled down the shutters on their January recruitment drive as Alan Pardew urges his players to “learn” from their early-season struggles.

After signing five French stars over the last seven days, the Magpies have spent close to £20million on strengthening their squad for the Premier League run-in.

That will be the end to their spending, with United sources dismissing a report claiming they have made a £12m offer for Vitesse Arnhem’s highly-rated Ivorian striker Wilfried Bony as “rubbish”. They also have no plans to broker an immediate deal for Saint Etienne’s Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, despite talk of a £10million deal.

Newcastle do have an interest in Bastia striker Florian Thauvin but, after seeing their £2.6million offer rejected, they look ready to wait until the summer, when they have further ambitions of strengthening their attacking options.

While United remain “alive” to the possibility that bargain deals may be available in the final, frantic days of the transfer window they are not planning to make any more signings before Thursday’s 11pm deadline.

In the meantime, United are likely to place more of the striking burden on Papiss Cissé for the remainder of the season, with Yoan Gouffran signed to support the forward in a possible 4-3-3 formation. The impending return of Hatem Ben Arfa, who may even return in time for the trip to Tottenham on February 9, adds another option up front.

The wholesale recruitment drive

increases optimism ahead of tomorrow’s trip to Aston Villa, but Pardew knows that his team need to improve and take on board the mistakes made earlier in the season.

He is likely to hand debuts to Gouffran, Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa and Moussa Sissoko at Villa Park but he bristled at talk that this is a “new start” for United. Instead, he said they they must “lean” on the negative experiences they have had recently.

“We’re in the middle of a season,” said Pardew.

“We have to lean on the experiences we have gained this season. The atmosphere on Saturday (last week against Reading), we came off at half-time and should have been three goals up. It was a very complimentary stadium.

“Within 20 minutes of the second half that turned completely on its head. That is what happens when you’ve had bad results. We didn’t manage to play in that scenario. We’ve got to lean on that experience.”

Meanwhile, Pardew will address the media today with the subject of Fabricio Coloccini’s commitment to the black-and-white cause still high on the agenda.

Pardew said on Thursday that United are convinced that Coloccini is still happy to play for the club after he was persuaded to continue his Newcastle career until the summer at least.

But in a letter that appeared on San Lorenzo’s Facebook page that claimed to be from the pen of Coloccini, he didn’t sound like a man ready to throw his lot in with Newcastle.

United are investigating the letter, with Pardew set to address the issue today.

“I write these lines from a long way away where I am missing my country, my family and my close ones,” Coloccini wrote. “And with sadness of knowing that after a series of meetings held here in Newcastle that my return to Argentina has been momentarily suspended.

“Life does not always end up like you wanted it or needed it to, many times is it influenced by third parties and the rigidities of contracts that are stronger than the will of one’s own desires.

“However, I am convinced that this moment of disappointment need not be an obstacle for me to declare my profound gratitude to each and every one of you for the affection and the support that you all have provided me during these past few months, in every way imaginable.”

Read more: Journal Live http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2013/01/28/alan-pardew-finishes-january-recruitment-drive-61634-32692108/#ixzz2JG41TpPd