Newcastle United 1 - 0 QPR - 15/01/12 - Post-match reaction from page 42

Mike

From the highlights we were diabolical, as bad as we've played at home all season. Nice goal though.

Lopsided highlights. Suppose you can't show us keeping possesion for most of the second half on the highlights like.

From the highlights we were diabolical, as bad as we've played at home all season. Nice goal though.

Lopsided highlights. Suppose you can't show us keeping possesion for most of the second half on the highlights like.

Aye, even Guy Mowbray would struggle to make us passing the ball around the back four for 20 minutes look exciting.

Guest neesy111

QPR didn't create that many decent chances as well.  Most of their shots were hopeful 25 yard shots.

To be fair that was as bad as we played all season. Was dire imo, especially first half. Never felt overly concerned about the qpr threat though.

Guthrie was class. Confident and composed on the ball, good spreading of play.

Noticed in the first half attacking the leazes SWP was being a right little cunt the whole first half. Backchatting to.the ref after every  decision, going back about 7 yards for each fk and foy just leaving it

Could have at least showed Santon's chance, as Rocker said though it would be pretty hard to show our possession and keep it entertaining. Was nowhere near as dominant from QPR as they showed, they just had more 'chances'.

Its a good job they were poor up front. We took ages to get going today.

If only we had more than Jonas & Ben Arfa able to carry the ball offensively past an opponent.

As a result we look very competent in posession when working the ball back to Krul in order to thrape forward.

This is the first game where I have not missed Enrique because Santon is superb.

Perch never put a foot wrong when he came on so it would be good to lay off the lad now.

Overall we can be happy at grinding out a result when not at our best.

Its a good job they were poor up front. We took ages to get going today.

If only we had more than Jonas & Ben Arfa able to carry the ball offensively past an opponent.

As a result we look very competent in posession when working the ball back to Krul in order to thrape forward.

This is the first game where I have not missed Enrique because Santon is superb.

Perch never put a foot wrong when he came on so it would be good to lay off the lad now.

Overall we can be happy at grinding out a result when not at our best.

For a very long time, only Jonas has been able to do that for us.

Guest magpie99

The performance yesterday smacked of worry and panioc by Pardew on what tactics Hughes would come up with. The fact that HBA didnt start and that we had absolutely little or no threat at getting behind them all game proves the point.

QPR sat back, played deep and attempted to hit us on the break. The fact they dominated the first 20 minutes was down to our own inability rather than their creativity. The long ball crap to Shola, who was marked by two defenders most of the day was ridiculous. Ben Arfa on the wing is even more ridiculous. He has the vision and the scope to create havoc from a central or roaming position.

At least in the second half, we got back to a passing game and rarely looked troubled at the back but I was hugely annoyed when Perch came on for the last 15 minutes when we had the opportunity to really put them to the sword with the introduction of either Ferguson or Obertan with pace down the flanks.

We basically admitted to settling for what we had and taking a risk that they wouldnt equalise. I dont like that sort of gameplan against that type of opposition. We had the opportuniity to nail them and backed down.

QPR were possibly the worst team I have seen this season.

It's called closing the game out and to be fair it worked as once Perch came on, QPR never had a sniff. We learned our lesson from last season against Spurs where we chased the killer second and got caught with a sucker punch as we'd committed too much to attack.

I would have started HBA but other than thought Pardew shuffled his tactics impressively and correctly yesterday.

Sounds like we did alright, not overly surprised we couldn't get the ball behind them too often with Cabaye out the game. Should have started Ben Arfa, and would have been nice to get another but it's a good result none-the-less

first time i have ever agreed with bringin perch on.  There was no point trying to score 3+ against this lot. WHile ba is away we just need 1-0 wins to rack up the points nothing more.  wait  forthe firepowa to return before we put teams to the sword!

Have to say best almost scored against run of play, and it was very pleasant suprise, as we were woeful in much of first half. 2nd half was comfortable.

Thought it was an engrossing game, with QPR understandably up for it trying to impress a new boss. Like a few others I struggled to come to terms with our shape when Cabaye went off, but the Guardian article posted by Ozzie on this page is excellent and once again illustrates how tactically astute Pardew can be.

Mentions for Santon, Ben Arfa and particularly Guthrie, who was excellent, especially considering it was his first game back from injury.

We weren't special yesterday and I never expecte danything else.  thought we did well considering we had most of our top preformers off the field.

A couple of new signings would come in handy THIS transfer window.

interesting analysis piece on MotD2 about how we didn't really try to get beyond their midfiled and how they could press because of it till ben arfa came on. many on here have been saying similar for much of the season.