Newcastle United 1 - 0 QPR - 15/01/12 - Post-match reaction from page 42

Mike

Was on target wasn't it? It wasn't clear cut by any means. Not sure it was criticism worthy is my point.

Was certainly impressed at how easily he lifted it into the box and on target with his weaker foot.

Made you wish his crossing was always that good.

Was on target wasn't it? It wasn't clear cut by any means. Not sure it was criticism worthy is my point.

Was certainly impressed at how easily he lifted it into the box and on target with his weaker foot.

Made you wish his crossing was always that good.

It was a good effort like.

They could have had three straight reds on another day. Very lucky to still be 11 players in the end IMO. Shit game, but not once did I feel that our lead was threatened. Thank fuck he kept Bothroyd on, what a truly shit striker he is :lol:

Have to say their fans were good, the Atmosphere was pretty bad but I'm putting that down to the freezing weather and our rather average performance.

Their fans were chanting "is this a library?" or something to that extent and they guy next to me turned and shouted "at least its a library that won't get fucking relegated" :lol:

Never heard a peep from the Gallowgate.

Guest Roger Kint

Krul 7

Simpson 6

Williamson 7

Coloccini 8

Santon 8

Raylor 7

Cabaye n/a

Guthrie 8

Jonas 6.5

Best 7.5

Shola 6

Ben Arfa 7

Perch 6

Gosling 6

Cant fault these tbh. Agree with Semtex too with his point after this.

Guest neesy111

Have to say their fans were good, the Atmosphere was pretty bad but I'm putting that down to the freezing weather and our rather average performance.

Their fans were chanting "is this a library?" or something to that extent and they guy next to me turned and shouted "at least its a library that won't get fucking relegated" :lol:

Same.

Atmosphere was pretty flat, usually is on early kick-off's.

Their fans were chanting "is this a library?" or something to that extent and they guy next to me turned and shouted "at least its a library that won't get f***ing relegated" :lol:

Atmosphere was bitterly disappointing when I had the commentating disabled. What happened to our singing? Sure it wasn't this muted last season.

As others have said, we looked better after Ben Arfa came on, partly because of his ability on the ball, but also because the shape of the team looked much more fluid, with Jonas and Guthrie roaming around.

Hopefully it will have encouraged Pardew not to stick so rigidly to that 4-4-2 straitjacket.

Guest Howaythetoon

I'll get slagged for this but based on our performances this season god knows how we are 6th. It probably says a lot about the average quality of the Premier League this season and while I won't complain about being 6th, we could be doing arguably even better if we were to perform that bit better in games. Our tactics and team selections are often all wrong. We are fortunate that we have extremely good players in key positions who can contribute whatever the weather if you like and that we have this seemingly fantastic team spirit because based on several performances this season, we'd be screwed without them. We were as poor as QPR today if not moreso despite being 7th in the table, with better players and being at home. We are due a f*** up or two if we do not drastically change the way we play and start putting out a better XI.

Guest neesy111

As others have said, we looked better after Ben Arfa came on, partly because of his ability on the ball, but also because the shape of the team looked much more fluid, with Jonas and Guthrie roaming around.

Hopefully it will have encouraged Pardew not to stick so rigidly to that 4-4-2 straitjacket.

We were utterly static first 20 minutes. 

Guest neesy111

I'll get slagged for this but based on our performances this season god knows how we are 6th. It probably says a lot about the average quality of the Premier League this season and while I won't complain about being 6th, we could be doing arguably even better if we were to perform that bit better in games. Our tactics and team selections are often all wrong. We are fortunate that we have extremely good players in key positions who can contribute whatever the weather if you like and that we have this seemingly fantastic team spirit because based on several performances this season, we'd be screwed without them. We were as poor as QPR today if not moreso despite being 7th in the table, with better players and being at home. We are due a f*** up or two if we do not drastically change the way we play and start putting out a better XI.

Utter shite.

Their fans were chanting "is this a library?" or something to that extent and they guy next to me turned and shouted "at least its a library that won't get f***ing relegated" :lol:

Atmosphere was bitterly disappointing when I had the commentating disabled. What happened to our singing? Sure it wasn't this muted last season.

I was talking about the QPR fans, didn't hear any noise from them today. I agree, apart from pockets, our atmosphere was wank.

The shape of the team today was baffling.

At times we had Jonas and HBA on the right for huge chunks, Best on the left.

Jonas wandering around, Colo ending up on the right. It was awful to watch.

A win's a win i suppose.

Total football.

Our strong defence has meant that we haven't f***ed up mostly. We have looked poorer than our position implies, and then we've looked great at others, evens out to where you are. Don't believe position ever particulaly lies, except if you've got there playing like Stoke, which we haven't. When you look at our first choice team, we're where we deserve to be, great defence, great midfield players and Ba, whom has been unplayable for so much of season. We are short in areas but we've put our faith in young players generally and positive attacking footy and it's paid off. I suspect we will struggle before season is out, but I'm pretty positive about our team, it's young, it's going to get better if our transfers policy keeps it up and we keep hold of essentials. Only problem is convincing Pardew to play Ben Arfa.

I honestly think HTT is my brother from another mother at times like :snod:

Shola 6

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought Shola was OK. Not good by any means, but he did the target man s*** well, and that's something I don't often rate him for, given he should win so much more in the air with his height. I thought the ball stuck to him well, and he got rid of the ball to one of the attacking midfielders. He still failed miserably when he tried to do anything on the ball, and didn't chase anyone down, so he's definitely no higher than a 6, but I don't agree with the 3s etc.

He became very lazy towards the end of the game but I think he was just generally exhausted an we didn't have any fit strikers on the bench. Decent shift aside from that.

Guest Dontooner

We are quite solid defensively, and could keep a good shape which keeps teams from openly breaking us down...however 1/3 of this comes from Colo's Individual composure and reading of the game therefore its important we have him here for at least another 2 seasons. Pardew has worked out a good defensive unit that has players covering one another but on the attacking side, he is still an average or slightly below average Premiership Manager which has some good individual players winning games for him. Attacking wise he has not impress me at all, the team just isnt fluid enough in the last third in open play, lots to be improved on that front. Hopeful there is space for Pardew to learn and improve the attacking style of the team rather than his static 4-4-2 system.

Krul 6.5 - coped fine

Simpson 6 - okay

Williamson 7 - did well

Coloccini 7.5 - read Williamson

Santon 7 - impressive on the ball

R.Taylor 7 - good game

Cabaye, hard to really say

Guthrie 8 - shaky start but controlled the game after the early exchanges

Gutierrez 6 - maybe a tad unlucky at times

Shola 5 - did alright in fits and starts but largely dreadful

Best 7 - nice goal

Subs:

Ben Arfa 7 - encouraging performance

Perch 6 - fine

Gosling 6 - ditto

That was a pretty god awful game but we got three points and I'm not really arsed about much else at the moment. Best's goal was the one real moment of quality, and he was long overdue a goal too.