Papiss Cissé

Guest kingdawson

Happy Cisse has left?  

240 members have voted

1. 1. Happy Cisse has left?

• Yes
    • No

Q&A with Papiss Demba Cisse

Senegal captain and Newcastle striker Papiss Demba Cisse is currently one of the hottest properties in European football.

The 27 year old who holds the record of most goals scored by an African player in the Bundesliga had a second half of the season to remember grabbing all the headlines in England after switching to Newcastle.

After an impeccable season that made him an instant fan favourite in the English Premier League, the former Freiburg forward tells SuperSport.com about Teranga Lions African Cup of Nations cup failure, World Cup, Olympics and African Cup of Nations campaign plus his exceptional brace against Chelsea.

SuperSport.com: Do you feel any pressure after being appointed the new captain of the Lions of Teranga?

Papiss: If they trust me to lead the group, then that is great, but my aim is not necessarily to be a captain. It is the group, the team that matters most and not me being the skipper.

SuperSport.com: Why do you think the coach handed you the arm band?

Papiss: I think the coach has much confidence in me that is why he named me as captain. There are older players who have been here before me and if I’m chosen to lead the team I think it’s an honour.

But let me make it clear; the armband does not belong to the captain who wears it or the coach. It belongs to the nation. And the most important thing is to win games, bring good results to make everybody happy.

SuperSport.com: What do you think of your team (Senegal) and their chances in the campaigns for 2014 World Cup and 2013 Afcon?

Papiss: I think we can qualify for the 2014 World Cup, although nothing has been done yet and the journey remains a long one. Our team now has so many young and determined players, who are ready to fight to succeed. We are united we talked to each other regularly and in all I feel there is oneness in the group.

SuperSport.com: After a terrible campaign in the Africa Cup of Nations, how has the team regrouped and got over the failure?

Papiss: We are quite disappointed with our campaign at the 2012 Africa Cup of Nations. It’s football. Now we are building a new outfit with a new spirit and we feel we’ll be able to get far next time.

SuperSport.com: Maybe you could tell us what exactly happened and why such a great team did not perform as expected?

Papiss: What happened at the 2012 Afcon was that we began the campaign badly and it continued and we crashed out. We have to learn our lessons and make sure it does not repeat next time.

SuperSport.com: From Freiburg to England. How has it been?

Papiss: I spent two great and wonderful seasons with Freiburg which I’ll never forget. Upon moving to the Premier League at Newcastle, I met my teammate and compatriot Demba Ba, who helped me to mix up very well in the group.

I didn’t find much difficulty in finding my footing at Newcastle, because, Ba was there and the other players were so kind and helpful. If I’m doing quite well today there, it’s because of whole team helping out.

SuperSport.com: The brace you scored against Chelsea. Two unbelievable goals. Describe to us how you felt during that game?

Papiss: Those two goals against Chelsea were wonderful. It was a memorable day for me and I thank God for making it happen. I was able to score them from terrible angles making the goals so magnificent, but I really want to forget that and do more exploits, but people keep talking about them.

SuperSport.com: Are you loving EPL?

Papiss: I adore the Premier League. It had been my dream to play here and I now I’m here, so, you can imagine the joy inside of me. I really like the league and I’m enjoying every part of it.

SuperSport.com: Back to World Cup, can you qualify?

Papiss: Our objective is to get there. We the players want it, the staff wants it and the people of Senegal too, that is why they are throwing their support behind us. The best thing to do is to win our remaining matches and see what happens.

SuperSport.com: How about Olympics. Do you think you have the quality to lift the title? Would you like to play in the London Olympics?

Papiss: We will see what happens. The final list has not been released. For now I’m being preoccupied by the World Cup qualifiers, after which I’ll go on vacation. We already have a solid Olympic team. The main objective is for the team to come back from London with something good for the people of Senegal.

SuperSport.com: What do you make of Senegal as a team?

Papiss: It is a great team. There are so many talented young players who are rubbing shoulders with the veterans, which is a good thing to help transfer experience. The Senegal team is a brilliant team and I’m happy to be a member.

SuperSport.com: What does Papiss Demba Cisse want to tell his fans out there?

Papiss: First of all I would like to thank all my fans for believing in me and loving what I do. I’d also tell them that I’d do my best to not let them down. And one last advice is that, in life you confront things you like and things you don’t, so be patient, believe in yourself, shun violence and wait for your turn.

http://www.supersport.com/football/africa/news/120614/QA_with_Papiss_Demba_

Oluwashina Okeleji ‏@oluwashina

Senegal striker Papiss Cisse was on SoccerAfrica. He's surely enjoying Newcastle. He said officials, players & fans helped him settle. #nufc

Cisse on brace v #cfc: "I was able to score them from terrible angles making the goals so magnificent but I really want to 4get that," #nufc

Cisse: "It had been my dream to play in the EPL so, U can imagine the joy. I really like the league & I’m enjoying every part of it." #nufc

or tiote we win either way!

True, but if i were to pick then i'd rather Ba and Cisse stay during AFCON than Tiote..... no offense to Tiote who is a great player but quite frankly losing Tiote over Ba and Cisse is the lesser of two evils.