Europa League 2012/13 - Benfica 1 - 2 Chelsea

MKSC
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Looks that way. Looking like we've got a decent chance now of 7th being good enough for Europe. Still worried that one of Everton/Stoke will go on a good run and challenge us for it. Need to be 4 points clear of Everton going in to the final day.

It can't see one of those teams separating themselves from the pack behind us. If they haven't already then they're probably not good enough.

As said, we won't be catching yous. Too big a gap, too short a time.

Would prefer Everton to get Spurs away, would fancy them to cause an upset against either Liverpool or Chelsea.

We'd do well to get Spurs 'away'. :lol:

As said, we won't be catching yous. Too big a gap, too short a time.

Would prefer Everton to get Spurs away, would fancy them to cause an upset against either Liverpool or Chelsea.

We'd do well to get Spurs 'away'. :lol:

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Tottenham-eye-deal-with-FA-to-swap-Harry-Redknapp-for-rent-free-use-of-Wembley-while-White-Hart-Lane-is-redeveloped-article874116.html

But yeah, I'm just being a smart arse.

So if Spurs win tonight and the league table stays as it is now, here's how shit happens:

From the quarter finals, we're still rooting for Spurs, Liverpool & Chelsea to get through their 3 home ties - should happen.

Everton or Sunderland will also be in the semi finals, by this point only these two teams can fuck us up provided we finish top 7.

Assuming it all goes to plan then...

From the semi finals, if Chelsea (5th) make the final, the extra place will go to the league if:

Liverpool make the final (Already qualified via league cup)

Spurs make the final (Already qualified for Champions League)

Everton or Sunderland make the final but lose to Chelsea (Europa League spot only goes to runner up if winner is in the top 4)

If Liverpool (7th) make the final, the extra place will go to the league if:

Chelsea make the final (Already qualified via 5th place)

Tottenham make the final (Already qualified for Champions League)

Everon or Sunderland make the final but Liverpool win (Europa League spot only goes to runner up if winner is in the top 4)

If Tottenham (3rd) make the final, the extra place will go to the league if:

Chelsea make the final (qualified via league)

Liverpool make the final (qualified via League cup)

In this scenario, if Everton or Sunderland make the final the extra spot won't go to the league.

Obviously if Everton or Sunderland win the cup they will qualify outright and it won't go to the league.

Also as league positions change that can alter things but for the most part the rules above are based on league position and not teams.

So in summary, we are looking for (assuming we aren't going to make the top 4):

Spurs or Chelsea to finish in the top 4, but not both. This will give us more security in the case of Everton or Sunderland getting through. So after Monday, howay Arsenal.

Two from Chelsea, Liverpool & Tottenham to be in the cup final, this would keep it nice and simple.

If the mackems or Everton do make the final, we'd be looking for teams outside the top 4 to make the final (and to fucking win!)

Chronicle today seems to imply that things have changed since last season, i.e. if the FA cup winners finish 5th or are Liverpool, the runners up will still qualify for Europa league:

UEFA have confirmed to the Chronicle that an extra place in the league would be generated ONLY if two teams from the upper echelons of the Premier League reach the FA Cup final at Wembley in May.

An ideal scenario for Newcastle would be a Tottenham v Chelsea or Liverpool final – providing the Cup hopefuls stay at the business end of the table.

Agonisingly, Newcastle could finish sixth and miss out on the Europa League altogether. And in what could be a nightmare scenario for Magpies fans, Sunderland of all teams could still qualify for the Europa League even if they finished below Newcastle.

For instance, if Tottenham beat Sunderland in the FA Cup final it would be the Black Cats who would take the Europa League slot.

This situation could also see Bolton, Leicester or Stoke – for what would be the second season running – take a place in Europe via the backdoor.

A UEFA spokesman said today: “The runner-up in the final would qualify, and the place wouldn’t go to the Premier League. That can only happen if two teams who have already qualified for either the Champions League or Europa League meet in the final.”

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2012/03/15/newcastle-s-route-to-european-football-explained-72703-30541875/2/

Chronicle today seems to imply that things have changed since last season, i.e. if the FA cup winners finish 5th or are Liverpool, the runners up will still qualify for Europa league:

UEFA have confirmed to the Chronicle that an extra place in the league would be generated ONLY if two teams from the upper echelons of the Premier League reach the FA Cup final at Wembley in May.

An ideal scenario for Newcastle would be a Tottenham v Chelsea or Liverpool final – providing the Cup hopefuls stay at the business end of the table.

Agonisingly, Newcastle could finish sixth and miss out on the Europa League altogether. And in what could be a nightmare scenario for Magpies fans, Sunderland of all teams could still qualify for the Europa League even if they finished below Newcastle.

For instance, if Tottenham beat Sunderland in the FA Cup final it would be the Black Cats who would take the Europa League slot.

This situation could also see Bolton, Leicester or Stoke – for what would be the second season running – take a place in Europe via the backdoor.

A UEFA spokesman said today: “The runner-up in the final would qualify, and the place wouldn’t go to the Premier League. That can only happen if two teams who have already qualified for either the Champions League or Europa League meet in the final.”

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2012/03/15/newcastle-s-route-to-european-football-explained-72703-30541875/2/

:undecided: that's always been the case...

Nah, previously it only went to the runners-up if they lost to a top 4 team as winning the cup took precedence over finishing in a Europa League spot in the league, so the cup spot went to the winners and the league spot dropped down a place. However, that article seems to suggest otherwise. We covered all this on the last few page man. :lol:

Nah, previously it only went to the runners-up if they lost to a top 4 team as winning the cup took precedence over finishing in a Europa League spot in the league, so the cup spot went to the winners and the league spot dropped down a place. However, that article seems to suggest otherwise. We covered all this on the last few page man. :lol:

Unsurprisingly, I haven't read all 8 pages of this mind-numbing shite. I have gone back now. I didn't even know this extra level of confusion existed. It's fucking madness. I'm sure this could be so much simpler, just make it so that only cup winners qualify, and if they're already qualified for something (ANYTHING), then it goes to the next place in the league. Then you don't have to have all these permutations. I'm gonna draw a flow chart. None of you cunts can stop me.

Can see sunderland pulling it out of the bag now they've got a chance to do it at home. Said it yesterday that if they can hold on for a draw at Goodison then they're my favourites to go through.

Barring us nicking 5th, our chance of Europe will come down to Liverpool v Everton/Sunderland then?

Not giving Bolton any chance at all then? I know it's unlikely but they could beat Spurs and Chelsea to get to the final, especially if they find some extra motivation to win it for Muamba.