Europa League 2012/13 - Benfica 1 - 2 Chelsea

MKSC
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest Paxton

Bold statement but I don't think we'll lose another game this season, depends on whether the title goes down to the last game of the season, as we have United.

Bold statement but I don't think we'll lose another game this season, depends on whether the title goes down to the last game of the season, as we have United.

You're in the wrong thread.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Newcastle-can-exploit-Chelsea-fixture-pile-up-to-pip-them-to-European-place-says-Alan-Pardew-article887538.html

Pardew: We can beat Chelsea without beating Chelsea

Published 22:30 07/04/12 By Brian McNally

Alan Pardew believes his Newcastle side can exploit Chelsea’s fixture pile-up and snatch fifth place from the Champions League and FA Cup semi-finalists.

The Toon boss feels his Magpies could even lose when they visit Stamford Bridge on May 2 and still pip the west Londoners in the fight for European qualification.

The reason for Pardew’s optimism is that Chelsea have at least eight fixtures between now and the season’s end on May 13.

And that could increase to TEN if they beat Spurs in their FA Cup semi-final clash next Sunday and reach the Champions League Final.

Newcastle, by contrast, have just six games left, with the next two - Bolton on Monday and Stoke on April 16 - are at home.

Pardew, whose side won at Swansea on Good Friday, said: “The whole period for Chelsea, more so than us, is ­crucial.

"We can do it without that Chelsea game. I mean, we could lose that game at Stamford Bridge and still finish above them.

“They have two semi-finals games against ­Barcelona in the Champions League and Spurs in the FA Cup, and then maybe an FA Cup Final on May 5, when they are ­scheduled to play a league game at Liverpool.

“They’re being pulled in a lot of directions so I don’t think for us, particularly, where we finish will come down to that game ­between us.

“What happens to us will be down to our own results and, actually, will be about Chelsea’s other results.

“We’re in the lap of the gods a bit because Chelsea have a big determination on things.

“You also have the Liverpool-Everton FA Cup semi that is going to impact on it [European qualification]. It would, of course, suit our ­European hopes if Liverpool won that tie.

“Everton could get through to the final and I still think the rule needs to be looked at ­because, if we finish higher than them in the Premier League, that has to be better than the runners-up in the FA Cup qualifying for the Europa League.

"If Everton win the FA Cup, I'd say, 'Fair enough.'"

But Pardew insisted he would have mixed feelings if Newcastle’s fine season did not result in a Europa Cup slot.

He said: “There will be one side of me quite pleased if we don’t qualify for Europe, because it will mean we can attack next season without having the extra pressure of Europa League.

“Having said that, the other side of me would welcome it because it would take the club forward, bond some of the players to the club, and it would be an achievement of sorts. We could also perhaps add to the squad with the extra finance we’d get.”

And the wrong forum.

just desperate to be involved in euro chat.

And the wrong forum.

just desperate to be involved in euro chat.

It's alright, come May Sunderland can look forward to watching European competition on their TV's.

The Eurovision song contest is on.

100% need to win the next 3 to have a chance. And it will be a great chance. Almost worth letting arsenal have a point tomorrow to put city further behind

Guest VaVaVoom

100% need to win the next 3 to have a chance. And it will be a great chance. Almost worth letting arsenal have a point tomorrow to put city further behind

Nah. I'd rather Citeh turn Arsenal over.

That then puts HUGE pressure on them with us only 2 points behind them, we win against Bolton thmora and we go above them! Imagine if Norwich do us a big favour at Spurs too? :lol:

That then puts HUGE pressure on them with us only 2 points behind them, we win against Bolton thmora and we go above them! Imagine if Norwich do us a big favour at Spurs too? :lol:

:lol: My cock's going to explode with jizz if I keep thinking about the various outcomes this season could bring.

Guest VaVaVoom

:lol: My cock's going to explode with jizz if I keep thinking about the various outcomes this season could bring.

Unreal. Really enjoying being a toon fan at the moment. 6 games left and there is a reasonable chance of finishing 3rd. Two years after relegation and considering all the shit thats went on with us in the last 5 years, it really it amazing!

Guest Vinkent

Read an interesting post on BBC Football website - if Vermaelen hadn't scored that 95th minute winner against us we'd be sat alone in 3rd. Gutter to think one goal has made the margins so tight!

Guest firetotheworks

I often think like that about the Wolves match, but it happens. We shouldn't have beaten Blackburn away, but we did.

Read an interesting post on BBC Football website - if Vermaelen hadn't scored that 95th minute winner against us we'd be sat alone in 3rd. Gutter to think one goal has made the margins so tight!

If we'd won all our matches we'd be well first, innit blud brrrap brrrap.

IT'S ONNNNNN.

Like Donkey Kong.

We've given ourselves a huge chance, let's hope Spurs collapse continues and Chelsea get distracted.

If we build it, he will come.

PhysioRoom.com Ltd ‏ @physioroom

Updates : Kaboul suffered a suspected knee injury #Parker #Gallas were declared unfit prior to the game #Saha (groin) withdrawn at HT #Spurs

7:55 PM - 9 Apr 12

Could be important.

I'm already worrying about what behemoth we'll get in the CL qualifier, given the fact we won't be seeded. Officially carried away.

We'll lose it for sure, but at least we'll have the Europa league.

And stop a rival from getting an extra ~£20m... eg money to spend take our players away.

Despite our form I just can't see anything but a defeat when we play chelsea in a few games. Though would like to think things would even up after the luiz fiasco earlier in the season.