Europa League 2012/13 - Benfica 1 - 2 Chelsea

MKSC
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Hotel sorted. Right next to the ground. Buzzing.

You're not coming back, are you?  :lol:

It'll be fine man :lol:

Looks VERY soviet Russia on streetview like.

It's one of the last places i could think of wanting to go to as a travelling football fan, but fair play to you. It'll be an experience :lol:

Would love to have a wander through some of these Soviet satellite states with a camera. Shame it's so expensive and s*** to get to.

I lived half a year in the Czech Republic in the late 90s. A lot of the Soviet architecture was still intact. It was indeed fascinating. Still remember going to a movie theatre in the center that still had a sculpted hammer and sickle above the screen.

Would love to have a wander through some of these Soviet satellite states with a camera. Shame it's so expensive and s*** to get to.

I lived half a year in the Czech Republic in the late 90s. A lot of the Soviet architecture was still intact. It was indeed fascinating. Still remember going to a movie theatre in the center that still had a sculpted hammer and sickle above the screen.

Parts of eastern Europe still retain a hint of that "post Communism" feel to this day. It is fascinating and if anyone wants to experience it they'll have to do it sooner rather than later. I think fans visiting Kharkiv will have a great time as long as they're savvy in their approach to the trip.

£272 for Tuesday night flight arriving back into Stansted Saturday night with a lovely hotel for 3 nights. Didn't want to book the arriving Wednesday just in case there are any problems as the match isn't long after its scheduled to land.

Ah aye, and my hotel has a outdoor swimming pool. Be ice skating on that after a few pints.

Kharkiv looks cool like, think I'll go and spend a few days there. But I went to North Korea and Turkmenistan, these sorts of places fascinate me. And when I travel to Ukraine normally, I'm likely to miss Kharkiv, so this is a good opportunity.

Lonely Planet:

If Dnipropetrovsk, Donetsk and Zaporizhzhya are the strong-arm muscle of Ukrainian industry, then the more northerly city of Kharkiv is its nerve centre and brain. It’s a leafy university town that makes the unusual boast of being the birthplace of the Soviet nuclear industry.

ADVERTISEMENT

Wars and Soviet development reduced its historical centre, boasting some pretty fin de siècle buildings, to a narrow triangle between vul Sumska and Pushkinska. The rest is Soviet monumentalism in all its glory – a delight for architecture buffs, but hardly exciting for the uninitiated.

In the 1920s, Kharkiv was the seat of the Ukrainian Soviet government, which orchestrated a short-lived renaissance of Ukrainian culture and language. But Stalin accused its members of nationalism and launched purges that eventually led to Holodomor (Ukrainian famine).

Nowadays, it is the city of Russian speaking intelligentsia – scientists and engineers who turned Kharkiv into the brain centre of the Soviet defence industry in the 1960s. Their children, however, were more into rock and alternative music, setting up one of the liveliest scenes in the ex-USSR.

It combines vast, agoraphobia-inducing plazas – particularly its unforgettably enormous pl Svobody – with charming early-20th-century buildings on more compact streets. With more than 100,000 enrolled at the university, including many foreign students, there’s a distinct multicultural feel to Kharkiv’s lively streets. The city empties during summer, so visit at other times to get a proper feel for the place.

Read more: http://www.lonelyplanet.com/ukraine/kharkiv#ixzz2Fk3qnAUN

Hmm, Anzhi actually isn't much farther from me than it is from you :lol:

There also seems to be a suprisingly cheap flight to Kharkiv available, although it's run by some sketchy Russian airliner so I should probably fear for my life.

There also seems to be a suprisingly cheap flight to Kharkiv available, although it's run by some sketchy Russian airliner so I should probably fear for my life.

If there was a problem you could just take the controls of the plane for a bit couldn't you.

If there was a problem you could just take the controls of the plane for a bit couldn't you.

It can be quite crowded up there as some of the smaller livestock is often carried in the cockpit.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest neesy111

The billionaire who owns Metalist is paying for 500 fans travel and accom for the trip here.

Really nice gesture that.

:thup: