Brighton 1 - 0 Newcastle - 28/01/12 - Post-match reaction from page 31

Beren

It wasn't the system per say. We suffered from a chronic lack of tempo and cutting edge, everything in the final third was so lackluster. I also think despite a woeful shift it's harsh to single Shola out in such an awful attacking display from all concerned.

:thup:

Weird game really as it could/should have been an easy win with the chances we had/pen decision and they did bot all aside from score but fair play to them they hung in and ground out a win.

On train From brighton had a look at last 2 pages. Anyone excusing out performance are wrong..that was a fucking disgrace. Good luck to then who were shit, but we deserve to go out

Can anybody tell me why we didn't bring Obertan and Lovenkrands on when we were a goal down and why we took off Santon when Simpson wouldn't tackle in case he got a 2nd card?

Obertan and Lovenkrands are rubbish and would have offered nothing against a side that was sticking ten men behind the ball.

Can't explain why Simpson stayed on the pitch ahead of Santon, though. Presumably cos it meant a like-for-like with Ferguson, which is bullshit cos Santon is obviously a right-sided player anyway.

Obertan and Lovenkrands would have offered more than Gosling and Ryan Taylor and no less than Shola and Best.

Shrug. Maybe/probably/who knows. The effect that those two would have had, who have (at times rightfully) been called worse than shit, is debatable. But the game wasn't won or lost by the substitutions anyway. We had opportunities to be home and dry by half time and it was the finishing (in)abilities of those who started, that effectively lost us the game.

An abject performance. Guthrie my MoM. Why taken off? Pardew 0/10 for shape, selections and substitutions. Any talk of Loven and Oby being the right thing is so wide of the mark. I repeat my words of last week that a team with Shola, Best and Willo in is just not good enough. And Simpo. Better squad needed. Really unhappy.

We were sh*t in every department. In no way am I going to put this down to a referee decision. The ref had nothing to do with the fact that we were rubbish.

Shola as captain, leading the line and leading the team is really taking the p*ss tbh. More so after the pathetic unprofessional displays we had to endure from him recently. Being the captian of NUFC clearly was not enough to bring about a significant improvement in his game to the level expected of him.

The formation was a shambles.

Best - Does Pardew think he is David Silva playing him on the left? Best should have been upfront instead of Shola (the undroppable one).

Jonas - Was lost in the centre and quite frankly had a stinker because of it.

Ben Arfa - Had one of his worst displays in a NUFC shirt. Careless in possession and in selecting the right option.

Santon  - Another who was no better.

Simpson - I cannot find the words to fully describe his performance both in defending and "attacking". His crossing reminded me of why I do not watch our local football in South Africa.

Williamson - Has the knack for being anonymous

Perch - Did well enough to redeem himself in the eyes of some supporters but lets not get carried away by seeing him regularly.

Cabaye - Had moments of brilliance and then somewhat lost the plot and his ability to defend properly. Got his angles horribly wrong when we conceded. He should have been shepherding the striker towards the touchline not allowing him the space to run into the area!

Guthrie - A bit anonymous as well

Krul - Didnt have much to do except get the ball outta the net. Kicking is still sh*t. WTF do they do with this guy in training?

Pardew gets the lowest marks in my book. We had the wrong mentality, the wrong setup, and the wrong personell. I am struggling to understand how he could have got this one wrong.

All in all, I am royally p*ssed off with the performance and the result. Personally it is gonna take me a while to get over this debacle.

F*CK OFF !! :tickedoff:

i'm absolutely furious with this result.  i really thought we had it in us to give this brighton side a right tonking, but i guess that'd only be on paper.  our side played like holograms we couldn't/wouldn't pass, move, defend or anything else resembling fundamental football.  that was a gutless display by a side that clearly appeaared to feel entitled to win at a walk.  ameobi couldn't out-maneuver or out-pace an arthritic giraffe stranded in a tarpit.  best flattered to deceive with his '1 too many touches' dribbling.  ben arfa was really just obertan with a better skull shape & haircut.  cabaye was shameful with his dirty kicks, nevermind that it was payback... i am always disgusted with that kind of tantrum.  the officiating was atrocious & led to some further mischief that showed the ref's cowardice & pandering to the home side, not to mention simple incompetence.  :rant:  simpson should never have been carded for his first which contributed to his getting mad brighton's bitch for the goal.  pardew, pictured here:  :hunter: made poor subs too late & clearly had his halftime talk notes smeared on bogroll.  fair play to brighton for their hustle & desire.  yeah, they were chippy & got away with a blatant handball, but it should NEVER have come to that!  AAAARRRRRGHHHH!!!!!!  :angryfire: :banghead: :angry: :gm's patter:

@YCabayeofficiel yohan cabaye

Disappointed with tonights result!!lets recover and be ready for wednesday against blackburn...we need to bounce back and get 3 points!!

15 minutes ago

@dannysimpson12 Danny Simpson

Disapointin tonight but we controlled the game throughout the 90mins n a flukey goal 2 concede.. Hurts cos we wanted a good run n fans travelled far n were as supportive as ever

12 minutes ago

We r still 6th in the league n have 2 massive games this week startin on wed v blackburn! Time 2 get a win under r belt n keep on going

12 minutes ago

They sound gutted. :lol:

Disappointed with tonights result!!lets recover and be ready for wednesday against blackburn...we need to bounce back and get 3 points!!

15 minutes ago

Disapointin tonight but we controlled the game throughout the 90mins n a flukey goal 2 concede.. Hurts cos we wanted a good run n fans travelled far n were as supportive as ever

12 minutes ago

Fucking make a tackle next time Danny you useless cunt, or just stand there with your hands in the air leaving a huge gap for them to run into... fuck off.

15 minutes ago

12 minutes ago

Fucking make a tackle next time Danny you useless cunt, or just stand there with your hands in the air leaving a huge gap for them to run into... fuck off.

He didn't make a tackle because he'd jsut been booked for making a perfectly good tackle and was too concerned about getting a 2nd yellow card.

Thick as a bull's dick, Danny Simpson...shut up and get some bottle

He really seems it, tbh. Seems to show no desire to improve as a player. Seems very content and settled in the side (in a negative way, that is :lol:). No pressure on his place, doesn't have to really bust a guy to pull a salary etc

Shrug. Maybe/probably/who knows. The effect that those two would have had, who have (at times rightfully) been called worse than s***, is debatable. But the game wasn't won or lost by the substitutions anyway. We had opportunities to be home and dry by half time and it was the finishing (in)abilities of those who started, that effectively lost us the game.

We were far too lethargic up front and Lovenkrands and Obertan would have at least injected some urgency into our game which was much needed, we were so slow in everything that we did.  We looked as if our players had one piss up too many in Tenerife.

15 minutes ago

12 minutes ago

He didn't make a tackle because he'd jsut been booked for making a perfectly good tackle and was too concerned about getting a 2nd yellow card.

And his excuse for puffing out his cheeks, throwing his arms in the air and standing still while the opposition player ran down his flank in the aftermath?

He really seems it, tbh. Seems to show no desire to improve as a player. Seems very content and settled in the side (in a negative way, that is :lol:). No pressure on his place, doesn't have to really bust a guy to pull a salary etc

The fact he has a video game of himself and is trifling over a new contract speaks volumes to me. Don't think he quite gets it. He's a mediocre player.

Guest VaVaVoom

15 minutes ago

12 minutes ago

And his excuse for puffing out his cheeks, throwing his arms in the air and standing still while the opposition player ran down his flank in the aftermath?

It was a pretty easy tackle too. Running onto the ball all he needed to do was put his foot in ffs. He was to blame for the goal imo.

I'd expect a 6 year old would have made the tackle that Simpson didn't, I also think a 6 year old wouldn't have turned his back on a ball at shin height like Williamson did.

The fact he has a video game of himself and is trifling over a new contract speaks volumes to me. Don't think he quite gets it. He's a mediocre player.

That and slating infinitely better players like Dzeko and the Brazilian twins on Twitter.

15 minutes ago

12 minutes ago

It was a pretty easy tackle too. Running onto the ball all he needed to do was put his foot in ffs. He was to blame for the goal imo.

It was appalling tbh. The camera angle showed Buckley charging down the flank, and in the background (between Buckley's legs) you could still see Simpson with his hands raised pleading "I didn't touch him" to no one in particular.

Guest VaVaVoom

I'd expect a 6 year old would have made the tackle that Simpson didn't, I also think a 6 year old wouldn't have turned his back on a ball at shin height like Williamson did.

Correct.

Why Williamson didnt go to the player to get inbetween him and the goal is beyond me.