Brighton 1 - 0 Newcastle - 28/01/12 - Post-match reaction from page 31

Beren

Very poor, we really didn't seem to want to go for it. Agree with the sentiments that we should have seen it coming when Pardew said he was happy with a draw. Absolutely no drive from the midfield to support a terrible attack.

never got started did we? really odd considering we had the training camp in tenerife - some boost that turned out to be.

Hate to say it but Cabaye and Guthrie reminded me of Nolan today, only without off the ball runs which we could've used.

Ben Arfa was basically useless, though at least he tried one or two (failed) things. Jonas was even worse, seems to have lost everything that made his game good a few months back. Best was totally anonymous - can blame no one but himself when he is summarily dropped.

Shola was Shola. Let's never start him in a match again. Same could be said for Simpson.

Typical rubbish in the cup, i'm annoyed now but i'll be over it by tomorrow. It's the hope that does it to you - the reality is we'll never get anywhere near either of the domestic cups in my lifetime. The club just has an aversion to it nowadays.

Shite performance with several key players missing, but the game was lost up front - or more, not won. Sounds daft but if we'd scored, we'd not have lost. Brighton didn't threaten all game but for the counter-attack that got their goal. A defensive rick was always going to give them the game considering our ineptitude in the final third.

It's a carbon-copy to the Fulham game in many ways. You can't get overly worried cos it's blatantly obvious where the problems are, and it's obvious where the solutions are (Africa).

Two very winnable league games on the way.

Couldn't agree more, mate.  It's frustrating, but we've won a few jammy games this season, we're bound to lose some.

Guest MrSundlofer

Impressed with Brighton  :clap: ...they want to play football similar to Arsenal and Swansea. Exciting management in Poyet and Taricco as well.

Simpson offers absolutely nothing!  :lol:

Well played Perch today.

Guest TurboTrev

All sh1t - they should be ashamed of themselves.  Especially sh1t were Pardew - tactics, Jonas - what's happened to him since he signed his new contract, Ben Arfa, Ameobi and Cabaye - still don't get why people rave about him average player with no pace.

These ratings are probably influenced by what I would expect from them.

Krul - 5 - Had nothing to do

Simpson - 2 - Just hack the fucker down.

Williamson - 4 - Did well, but own goal was dissapointing.

Perch - 6 - Our best player

Santon - 5 - Beaten on the inside and outside. Don't see a future for him at left back

Ben Arfa - 3 - Turgid, static, sloppy football.

Cabaye - 1 - Hypocritical baby. Needs to get his finger out of his arse. He is so much better than this but has suffered a severe drop in performance since November.

Guthrie - 5 - Average

Jonas - 6 - Runs, offers something, but is better on the left.

Best - 3 - Not a left winger. Needed to be a lot closer to shola.

Shola - 5 - despite a poor performance and being the easy scapegoat, at least he worried the Brighton defence a little and could have done with players getting closer to him.

The lack of quality and depth in squad exposed again.  Weak as

We fielded 8 of the best players we had before the transfer window, a lack of depth is a poor excuse against a championship side.

I've already said I believe we will not win a trophy in my lifetime.  Just destined for it.

:lol: Yes we will.

Not if you're over 5 years old.

Can't see our lot doing anything for at least as long as we've done nowt (since 55 or 69 whichever you choose)

Couple years of stability and no insanity from the top and we'll win one.

Brighton gave us a f***ing masterclass in how to close down a game though. Other than that they did f*** all, lucky goal.

Don't want to see Simpson or Shola in a Newcastle shirt again. Those wondering why Pardew was benching Ben Arfa and why we have been linked to wingers need to look no further than today. He wasnt shocking but he was probably even worse than Obertan.

We're actually pretty good at that, Fulham aside.

Yeah, Tiote is a big miss and whilst he has the talent I still dont think Cabaye has settled. Regardless of whether its two from Guthrie/Cabaye/Tiote we ALWAYS seem to play with two DM that sit deep which offers nothing through the middle. We have a good battling midfield but we arent creating as much as we should be.

Guest VaVaVoom

We were supposed to be fired up after the Fulham debacle...We werent.

Lacklustre in the 1st half, not much better in the second. Absolutely gutless. Painfull. Embarrassing.

Cant think of one player who had a good game. Well...Perch actually done canny.

Krul...6 Nothing to do except pick the ball out the net. Kicking was aimless again.

Simpson...4 Horrible, disguisting and pathetic perfomance. Positionally wank, soft in the tackle that lead to goal and quality of ball into the box was awful.

Santon...5 Positionally very poor, canny going forward but had no idea's when in final 3rd.

Williamson...5 No football brain. Awful. No composure.

Perch...7 Done well. Read game and swept up. Still nowhere near PL quality though.

Gutierrez...5 Just didnt look interested at all.

Guthrie...6 Spread play well and worked hard but offered nothing going forward.

Cabaye...5 Been poor last 5 or 6 games Man U aside. Wasteful and created nowt apart from Best's chance.

Ben Arfa...5 Ran with the ball but no idea in final third. Lack of movement didnt help but thought he looked poor today.

Shola...5 Hold up play was good but absolutely no movement. He COULD of got into a few great positions if he actually made an effort.

Best...5 Ran and worked hard in the 1st half, missed two great chances and was shite in the second half.

Absolutely awful performance. AP got the tactics all wrong and baffeling substitutions.

We are out, didnt deserve to be in, move on to Blackburn now but its a little worrying our recent form and lack of heart.

Tepid attitude. No real desire, no urgency - even when we were a goal down with 14 minutes on the clock - no rush to take our corner.

Poor tactics, poor management, poor attitude. As I said at half-time, would gladly have taken a draw given how we were set up.

Simpson was ridiculously shit on the Brighton goal. Anyone can get the ball poked from them in a 50-50, and you don't want to get a second yellow, but you don't just hold up your hands and stand still. You run after the fucker. Sick to the teeth of him.

Krul 6

Simpson 4

Williamson 6

Perch 6

Santon 5

Ben Arfa 5.5

Guthrie 5

Cabaye 5

Gutierrez 6

Best 4

Shola 4.5

Brighton didn't deserve to go through, but neither did we.

Simpson - 2 - Just hack the f***er down.

Santon - 5 - Beaten on the inside and outside. Don't see a future for him at left back

Cabaye - 1 - Hypocritical baby. Needs to get his finger out of his arse. He is so much better than this but has suffered a severe drop in performance since November.

Guthrie - 5 - Average

Shola - 5 - despite a poor performance and being the easy scapegoat, at least he worried the Brighton defence a little and could have done with players getting closer to him.

Jonas a 6? He was one of the worst on the pitch.

Guest neesy111

Guthrie - 5 - Average

Worst comment ever on this forum

Guthrie - 5 - Average

Worst comment ever on this forum

it's honestly a turd floating in the punchbowl of n-o and i don't even know how to respond to it.