Brighton 1 - 0 Newcastle - 28/01/12 - Post-match reaction from page 31

Beren

No support from midfield because Shola can't make the ball stick.

No space for the midfielders/wingers to make use of because Shola can't move.

No pressure from the front because Shola can't be bothered.

No threat on their goal because Shola only scores or threatens to once every 50 games.

No chance of competing because Shola played 90 mins. Simples.

Scapegoat central.  Shola's s**** but he was far from our worst player today.

Won basically every header and created a few good chances.

He was terrible, and it affects the whole attacking setup. Sick of it.

No threat on their goal because Shola only scores or threatens to once every 50 games.

Shola, created one chance when headed the ball to Best, that's about it.

Also made a good turn and run and laid one off to Best which he should have buried.

I am not an Obertan fan at all but I would have brought him on before Ryan Taylor today.

On a side note I watched the game in a pub with some sort of foreign sky. At half time Tim Sherwood described Santon as the worst left-back he has ever seen. Shows how clueless some of these pundits really are.

We were a little unlucky but we looked clueless in the attacking third today, absolutely no cutting edge what so ever.

We've replaced arguably the most in form striker in the country with Shola. It's little wonder we're looking so powder puff up top.

We were a little unlucky but we looked clueless in the attacking third today, absolutely no cutting edge what so ever.

We've replaced arguably the most in form striker in the country with Shola. It's little wonder we're looking so powder puff up top.

Exactly. We'll be fine once our two African strikers return.

Guest VaVaVoom

AP totally got it wrong today.

System was all wrong today. One (Shola) upfront, a striker out of position (out wide) and rotating Ben Arfa and Jonas just didnt work.

We had no shape, there was very little movement off the ball and how could we expect the likes of Ben Arfa and Jonas to impact against a tight 5 man midfield in that system?

Guest VaVaVoom

I am not an Obertan fan at all but I would have brought him on before Ryan Taylor today.

On a side note I watched the game in a pub with some sort of foreign sky. At half time Tim Sherwood described Santon as the worst left-back he has ever seen. Shows how clueless some of these pundits really are.

Aye.

Obertan and Lovenkrands for Jonas and Shola BEFORE they scored should of been the moves AP made.

How was the system wrong? We created 4 clear cut chances and had a stonewall penalty turned down. The had one chance and it resulted in a deflected goal. That one chance came from Simpson bottling out of a challenge.

Pardew can't be held responsible because Best misses three chances, the ref doesn't do his job properly and Simpson bottles it.

The system resulted us in restricting them to nothing and us dominated possession.

Exactly. We'll be fine once our two African strikers return.

I don't know if this is sarcasm but i honestly think so. The system has got a lot of potential. Jonas in that floating role is something i never thought he'd be any good at but he's proven me wrong there. Him ahead of Cabaye and Tiote with an interchanging front three of Ba, Cisse and HBA is something that i really think will work very well.

It didn't work today (or at Fulham) because of the personnel.

Highlighted massively for me the need to have footballing defenders with Colo gone. Simpson and Williamson can't cope with any form of responsibility with a ball at their feet and the former's tenacity in situations was laughable. We can manage to carry 1 of these types in the squad but for me the game was lost at the back primarily for these reasons. The fact Shola was played lone striker added to this with a lack of movement up top. Then the subs were just an admittance of defeat bar young fergie. Pardew and the lack of footballing options at the back lost it for me.

How was the system wrong? We created 4 clear cut chances and had a stonewall penalty turned down. The had one chance and it resulted in a deflected goal. That one chance came from Simpson bottling out of a challenge.

Pardew can't be held responsible because Best misses three chances, the ref doesn't do his job properly and Simpson bottles it.

The system resulted us in restricting them to nothing and us dominated possession.

Just to mention that if Simpson hadn't bottled it, it most probably should have been a sending off, because of his booking. Knowing Simpson's fine technique and excellent defending ability, it was 100% cert.

On the other hand, without a goal behind and with 10 men [yeah, Simpson does not contribute anythin really so no loss], we could have been in the Cup still...

Hi Alan.

Well, that is very disappointing though perhaps inevitable. Yes we were in control and should have had a pen as well as being unlucky with another deflecttion, but we lacked urgency and to be honest I thought Pardew should have been braver and gone 442. That's twice poor tactical choices from him have cost us in the last two games. Ultimately. not good enough.

I thought Ameobi put in a good shift, but criminally lacked support from those around him.

Just to mention that if Simpson hadn't bottled it, it most probably should have been a sending off, becasue of his booking.

I'd have aken the red tbh with 3 minutes to go

Good luck to Brighton. We should have won comfortably, they were there for the taking and we sat off. There is always the risk that the oppo will nick a goal. What an opportunity we may have given up.

Hope they get Chelsea away - and good luck to them.

Shola, created one chance when headed the ball to Best, that's about it.

Also made a good turn and run and laid one off to Best which he should have buried.

One of his worst ever performances in the shirt, against a shit Brighton side. An absolute disgrace.

Can anybody tell me why we didn't bring Obertan and Lovenkrands on when we were a goal down and why we took off Santon when Simpson wouldn't tackle in case he got a 2nd card?

Obertan and Lovenkrands are rubbish and would have offered nothing against a side that was sticking ten men behind the ball.

Can't explain why Simpson stayed on the pitch ahead of Santon, though. Presumably cos it meant a like-for-like with Ferguson, which is bullshit cos Santon is obviously a right-sided player anyway.

Obertan and Lovenkrands would have offered more than Gosling and Ryan Taylor and no less than Shola and Best.

Guest neesy111

Can anybody tell me why we didn't bring Obertan and Lovenkrands on when we were a goal down and why we took off Santon when Simpson wouldn't tackle in case he got a 2nd card?

Obertan and Lovenkrands are rubbish and would have offered nothing against a side that was sticking ten men behind the ball.

Can't explain why Simpson stayed on the pitch ahead of Santon, though. Presumably cos it meant a like-for-like with Ferguson, which is bullshit cos Santon is obviously a right-sided player anyway.

Obertan and Lovenkrands would have offered more than Gosling and Ryan Taylor and no less than Shola and Best.

This.

It wasn't the system per say. We suffered from a chronic lack of tempo and cutting edge, everything in the final third was so lackluster. I also think despite a woeful shift it's harsh to single Shola out in such an awful attacking display from all concerned.