Brighton 1 - 0 Newcastle - 28/01/12 - Post-match reaction from page 31

Beren

Guest Ebolarama

Just got back from the game. Woeful.

You're lucky you don't have to get back to Newcastle.  :lol:

I know, I feel bad for all the lads who made the trip down to watch that shite. At least I only had a short journey back.

Newcastle have not won away in the FA Cup in nine attempts since they knocked out League Two Cheltenham six years ago.

Ace.

game set match

ToonZA absolutely spot on. Interesting that Cabaye has better English than Simpson on Twatter. Much better at footie too! Getting moe annoyed as night goes on.

Just another thing Simpson is sh*t at...

Urgh, what a horrible evening this turned out to be football-wise.

Thought we were decent in the first half, definitely controlled the game imo. Though it was clear when half-time came that we lacked a certain urgency upfront. Shola was completely isolated and he also didn't anticipate things quick enough (passes into the box, etc.). Best had a decent first half (should have scored that chance he had) but trailed off in the second half. Ben Arfa also had a poor game considering his obvious talent.

For Brighton's goal, I'm going to put that down as a Simpson mistake. He let the Brighton player go past him so easily which meant we were exposed on the right - it gave Buckley so much space to run into and like so many times last season, the goal came from a deflection from one of our players. Argh.

(One thing you could say though is that Simpson was afraid of being sent off [he was on a yellow card] so that's why he bottled from making a challenge).

Cabaye was lucky not to be sent off (though I guess this isn't the last we heard about it) and it should have been a penalty to us (yes, I realise that Cabaye was the one who took the shot.........).

Overall, Brighton weren't that good and that was the most annoying thing imo. Our lack of bite upfront cost us today (and at Fulham last week really). Thank f*** that Ba (and Cissé of course) will be in a position to start for us soon. Their presence should improve us.

Far too conservative a performance.

I think Pardew s*** a brick last weekend and so decided to basically play for a 0-0.

Best should have scored however, particularly with a free header where he didn't even leave the ground.

What this game shows is that we have a decent first team when everyone is fit/available, but little in the way of a squad.

if brighton did the 'underdog performance' and won, then fair enough. but it was as if they said "we don't really care, just beat us" and we went "well we care even less" and they reluctantly scored one. brighton were terrible and we didn't get out of first gear. we didn't even get into first gear - the car hadn't been started! any effort or will to win and we'd have destroyed them.

Really pissed off we're out, not least because I'm really big on the cups.  We need to win a trophy one day after all.

However I responded to my dad's despondent text as follows and I meant it: Perhaps this is a blessing in disguise this year.  If we can push on for 5th or 6th this year without any distractions, particularly with the African lads back soon, then fantastic.  There's reasons to be cheerful.

I only saw the ITV highlights but they weren't as bad as I expected having read some of the ratings on here.

Things didn't go for us in the Blackburn league cup game either. Both are disappointing considering what the team has shown in the league and that a number of potential winners were already out at the time.

I´m so, so gutted, it´s just unbelievably what just happened. What a chance for us to win this year, or just be in the final. It´s just not ok this. I´m so gutted :(

Doesn't even come close to the post-Alkmaar feeling for me, though. Really thought we'd win the UEFA Cup that season....