Brighton 1 - 0 Newcastle - 28/01/12 - Post-match reaction from page 31

Beren

Sporting was the year for me. Was adamant we would win it that year.

The double whammy of losing in Lisbon and Cardiff kind of killed my passion for the cups. Its a defeatist attitude but to win cups you generally have to beat at least one very good team and when have we ever done that in cups? Under Souness we got past a 10 man Chelsea side and then ladt year we had that mad game at Stamford Bridge but usually  it's predictable fare of eventually drawing a top side and bowing out. I really just don't take the cups serious anymore after being ground down by let downs. I just hope we can take advantage now of a slightly relaxed schedule and push on in the league. If we can finish top 7 it will have been a fantastic season.

I've seen much, much worse performances than last night. We had a lot of the ball but struggled to penetrate Brighton at all. They got one lucky goal after exposing our weak-link and there was no coming back after that.

Personally, I would have dropped Shola and played someone more mobile like Best there, moved Jonas out wide and played Vuckic off the main man. The guy is class and I really don't think Brighton could of handled him.

Sporting was the year for me. Was adamant we would win it that year.

Good shout. The way we crashed out added to the disaster, too. Being 1-0 only to end up losing 4-1, could only happen to us really.

Just had a butchers and didn't realise Sporting v AZ was the SF after we'd got knocked out.

Think the Chelsea semi final was the most hurtful one for me as the other finals and associated Euro runs I've not expected us to be victorious.

v OM we'd have had a brilliant Valencia team in the final

v Sporting we had Souness ready to fuck up at any moment

v AZ we had Roeder and some strongish teams were left in

and the cup finals we never stood a chance in.

Guest icemanblue

Bad result, where we really missed three, possibly four, of our most important players. Can't get too angry about it. We controlled the game and would have been clear winners with a decent striker on the pitch.

We're still 6th. Three of those four players should be back for Wednesday. We move on.

Was sitting a few rows from Ashley with the Albion fans  :(, fuck me he's lost a shit ton of weight. Also the game was shite, never looked like scoring in 90 minutes, can't wait for Ba to be back.

Gutted we are out of the cup. The game was so dull yesterday I fell asleep at half time and woke up to find us 1 nil down with 10 minutes left.

From the first half we looked in control but terrible in the final third of the pitch. Best was unlucky not to score, and Shola did a few things in the air. Overall though I feel that Shola still is a massive weakness in our side, he is just far too slow. It's no good linking up play if you can then move up the pitch to be an option to finish it off. Best keeps running in to the channels which is fine, but with Shola still trotting towards the box instead of being in it then it reduces our options and tempo.

I remember the two years we got to the final of the FA Cup. Hurt losing in the finals, but really wish we could at least reach a final and have another day where we could win it. All I can hope for now is that Demba and Cisse come back and help fire us to a 5th or 6th spot finish, despite how tough that is.

Think the Chelsea semi final was the most hurtful one for me as the other finals and associated Euro runs I've not expected us to be victorious.

More often than not when that Lisbon tie is mentioned in the media they say it was the semi.

ie. We were knocked of the UEFA cup semi finals two years in a row.

Sporting Lisbon was the most soul crushing of the cup defeats. We really should have won it that year and the capitulation was something that can only happen to a club that's cursed. The only other game that surpasses that is the day at Villa Park when we were relegated with our players not giving a flying fuck.

Sporting Lisbon was the most soul crushing of the cup defeats. We really should have won it that year and the capitulation was something that can only happen to a club that's cursed. The only other game that surpasses that is the day at Villa Park when we were relegated with our players not giving a flying fuck.

Moscow in the final would've been a lot tougher than people make out nowadays. Nobody was that confident at the time, they'd spent massively. And it wasn't a complete capitulation against Lisbon - half a dozen injuries midmatch and a fucking idiot referee saw us off.

Sporting Lisbon was the most soul crushing of the cup defeats. We really should have won it that year and the capitulation was something that can only happen to a club that's cursed. The only other game that surpasses that is the day at Villa Park when we were relegated with our players not giving a flying f***.

Moscow in the final would've been a lot tougher than people make out nowadays. Nobody was that confident at the time, they'd spent massively. And it wasn't a complete capitulation against Lisbon - half a dozen injuries midmatch and a f***ing idiot referee saw us off.

That's what I mean. The injuries which led to our capitulation were something that could only happen to a club that's cursed and destined to never win any thing. That's why it was so soul destroying.

Sporting Lisbon was the most soul crushing of the cup defeats. We really should have won it that year and the capitulation was something that can only happen to a club that's cursed. The only other game that surpasses that is the day at Villa Park when we were relegated with our players not giving a flying f***.

Moscow in the final would've been a lot tougher than people make out nowadays. Nobody was that confident at the time, they'd spent massively. And it wasn't a complete capitulation against Lisbon - half a dozen injuries midmatch and a f***ing idiot referee saw us off.

That's what I mean. The injuries which led to our capitulation were something that could only happen to a club that's cursed and destined to never win any thing. That's why it was so soul destroying.

Ah right, got you, thought you meant we'd surrendered like last night. Yeah, Nut's just put it well, it got Newcastled.

Moscow were an excellent side that year, there's very little chance we would have beaten them under Souness. Alkmaar was horrible to take- losing away to Charlton days later just summed it up- but for me Lisbon and Marsaille were the worst.

Marseilles was just a vintage bottle job. Our players wilted in the face of the intimidating atmosphere. Oh and not for the last time, Drogba tore us a new one.

Guest ykmkmdd

We would have got Liverpool at Anfield anyway, just one less game to tire our players now :snod:

Aye, far rather lose at Brighton than be knocked out by the inevitable Carroll/Bellamy goals with KKKenny doing his horrible little goblin dance on the touchline.

We always get s*** draws; even when we're already out.

League Cup this season

Cardiff v Blackburn

Cardiff v Crystal Palace

A Liverpool final!

Thats as easy as it is ever going to be, could have won the cup without playing anyone in the top 6 :cheesy: