santon

obertan

guthrie

perch

jonas

ba

best

didn't put it in any formation as he's had me totally baffled of late

I don't think I'd look forward to watching that 11 on a freezing cold February day.

don't think i'd look forward to watching that 11 in ibiza,mid september with cheryl cole's face buried in my lap.

Has brummie dropped by with his thoughts yet?

That stats about only losing two away games is mental, like. It was Villa who infamously went ultra-defensive at Spurs in November, which is what teams do when they normally travel badly.

Krul

Simpson  Willo  Collo    Santon

Perch

Obertan    Guthrie      Jonas

Best        Ba

not bad idea.  Keane was in great form last game, and we need to worry he doesnt replicate that on sunday. Starting raylor in central  midfield =lose

HBA in 2nd half, cisse on the hour?

The obvious formation is 442 with raylor on right....perch/guthrie midfield.

Why do i have the awful feeling ireland will score in this game?

Guest ykmkmdd

Pardew's comments in here about Villa's quick counter-attacking:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/feb/03/newcaste-united-papiss-demba-cisse-aston-villa?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Ffootball%2Frss+%28Football%29

We have worked out that Villa are one of the Premier League's fastest teams on the break, so we will have to be on our guard. We don't want to expose ourselves in terms of committing too many players forward."

Suggests there's a good chance of using Perch as a holding player to give the forwards a bit more freedom. Wouldn't be the worst idea IMO, but really hope he goes for it and plays Ba, Cisse and HBA

Pardew's comments in here about Villa's quick counter-attacking:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/feb/03/newcaste-united-papiss-demba-cisse-aston-villa?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Ffootball%2Frss+%28Football%29

We have worked out that Villa are one of the Premier League's fastest teams on the break, so we will have to be on our guard. We don't want to expose ourselves in terms of committing too many players forward."

Suggests there's a good chance of using Perch as a holding player to give the forwards a bit more freedom. Wouldn't be the worst idea IMO, but really hope he goes for it and plays Ba, Cisse and HBA

That quote means no Ben Arfa who loses the ball when we are most vunerable to the counter attack.

They'll park the bus. We've got Demba's, we'll win.

On the contrary I think they'll have a go. 8 goals in their last three aways v Chelsea Arsenal and Wolves. We're certainly vulnerable to their pace. Zog Keane Bent etc are all quicker than the core of our defence.

Do you think they'll bring the game to us or sit off and try and hit us on the break?

Guest Brazilianbob

Dont know why everyone seems to be opting for Ba and Best up front?  Pardew clearly thinks Ba and Ameobi are the strike force of choice especially after their performance against man u.  Best is clearly now 4th choice as was evidenced by our willingness to let him talk to Celtic, so I reckon we will start with:

Krul

Simpson

Santon

Willo

Colo

Raylor/HBA

Guthrie

Perch

Jonas

Ba

Ameobi

Cisse to come on for Ameobi or Pards might surprise us and McLeish, by taking off Ba for Cisse.  Wouldn't surprise me as Ameobi seems to have a charmed life when it comes to NUFC.  If he had started his career at any other EPL club he would be playing non league football by now!

Yeah I think he'll start Best with Ba and Cisse will come on second half. Bit worried about being overrun in midfield but if its tight Ba and then Cisse 2nd half could just tip it in our favour. Their fast on the break but defence can be got at.

Hate this shower (states the obvious)