Tottenham Hotspur Vs Newcastle United- 11/02/12 @ 5:30pm (ESPN) Pre-match thread

Fenham Mag

Why would I wait until he's played today? The lad's piss poor and nowhere near as good offensively or even defensively as Ben Arfa is.

When fit there's a case for starting Raylor ahead of HBA. He has great delivery and will work defensively.

The way Obertan was strolling around when Villa had the ball on our right last week... could be a nightmare with him and Simpson together.

Guest VanBarduck

I think Gutrie-Perch is quite good duo , it's kind hard to say because i'm french but i think Guthrie is better than Cabaye , seems more condident with the ball and he plays like a quaterback , Pirlo's style  :D

I think Gutrie-Perch is quite good duo , it's kind hard to say because i'm french but i think Guthrie is better than Cabaye , seems more condident with the ball and he plays like a quaterback , Pirlo's style  :D

You seem to be mental. No offence.

Why would I wait until he's played today? The lad's p*ss poor and nowhere near as good offensively or even defensively as Ben Arfa is.

Because:

a) Pardew has guided us to a magnificent league position and should thus earn the benefit of your doubt re: team selection

b) Many of our 'crapper' players have improved under Pardew's stewardship, see Perch and Guthrie

c) He was fine against Villa and did a pretty decent job when called upon

FWIW, I'm not picking an argument, I agree that Ben Arfa is a better player and I want to see him play more, if it's at Obertan's expense then I don't mind. But I don't like it when our players are just dismissed as 'woefully inept' when they aren't. If he plays badly, he'll be substituted and dropped accordingly. Moreover, Ben Arfa to this point has not done enough to justify automatic selection. To anticipate your counter-argument, neither has Obertan, and he has had a longer run of games. However, as neither has nailed the place down, I'm prepared to let Pardew make the decision until it looks blatantly obvious that the side and results suffer accordingly, neither of which has happened, regularly if at all.