Newcastle vs Sunderland - Sunday 4th March 12:00pm

Decky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Pardew said he is intrigued by how we handle playing against a 5 man midfield, and that other than Wolves, we have done well against 5 man midfields all season.

I think we have struggled against them like.

Don't think there is any need at home to play another central midfielder. Ba comes quite deep anyway and if we are struggling he has a tendency to slot in and play just ahead of the midfield 2. Would love us to start with Cisse and Ba up top, but if Cisse isn't fit I'd rather Guthrie came in there and Ba played up top on his own with Hatem and Jonas either side than Shola get in the side. Yes Shola is a mackem slayer, but he has a tendency to look much more up for it when he only gets 20 minutes at the end, so i'd leave him on the bench and have him as an option if we need a goal towards the end. 

Guest icemanblue

In these games, it's always about not losing. They're two fixtures that you have to categorise entirely separately from the other 36. Ambitions, targets, form and even points are just not a consideration, for me. If we win, that's fantastic. But, it's always more important to avoid defeat.

With Mick on this. We are at home and have the better XI. Two up front and get at them. If we are going to start playing middle 5's at home against inferior teams why bother buying cisse ?

did sessegnon play in ethiopia or whatever it was ?

Yep.

Sunderland boss Martin O'Neill will assess striker Stephane Sessegnon ahead of Sunday's derby trip to Newcastle after he was delayed on his return from international action.

The 27-year-old was not on Wearside on Friday morning following a problem with his flights back from Benin's African Nations Cup 0-0 qualifier draw in Ethiopia on Wednesday.

Sweden midfielder Sebastian Larsson is expected to be available after complaining of feeling unwell before he scored twice in his country's 3-1 victory in Croatia, as is striker Nicklas Bendtner (ankle), but keeper Keiren Westwood (wrist) is out and Craig Gordon is likely to take his place on the bench and full-back Phil Bardsley (calf) remains a doubt.

Winning is inclusive of not losing. I am confused.  :scared:

I took it to mean what I'd settle for and went with "not losing".  Would love to beat them yet again but it's crucial we don't get beat, could see our season taking a real nosedive if we did.

I took it to mean what I'd settle for and went with "not losing".  Would love to beat them yet again but it's crucial we don't get beat, could see our season taking a real nosedive if we did.

:thup: What 'e said.

Ah, thanks. Should have seen that.

It's important we win on two counts: a) An objective analysis of the table shows we need to keep winning in order to continue the pressure on the sides around us, it would also put us in a more than likely unreachable 13 points ahead of one of the chasing pack attempting to catch seventh. b) On a completely subjective note they're an average team with a set of delusional, horrible, inbred fans who need putting in their place, we should be looking to beat this lot every time on our own patch.

Anyone living in London going to the Cock and Lion for this? I am.

The other three games I've watched there have been 'Newcastle-Sunderland 5-1' Lerl, 'Newcastle-Man Utd 3-0' Lerl, 'Tottenham-Newcastle' 5-0 :kinnear:

That's the first time I've ever used a smiley, I love that dog

Anyone living in London going to the Cock and Lion for this? I am.

The other three games I've watched there have been 'Newcastle-Sunderland 5-1' Lerl, 'Newcastle-Man Utd 3-0' Lerl, 'Tottenham-Newcastle' 5-0 :kinnear:

That's the first time I've ever used a smiley, I love that dog

That was our plan but one of the attendees is a mackem and for some reason we're not going there at his request.  Not really sure where to go now.

That was our plan but one of the attendees is a mackem and for some reason we're not going there at his request.  Not really sure where to go now.

Hmm, intriguing. My mate Sean had invited me to a group on facebook called 'mackems' which is about this game and one of the people in the conversation was a mackem and derailed the 'cock and lion'. Same thing for you?