Newcastle vs Sunderland - Sunday 4th March 12:00pm

Decky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2012/03/03/pardew-hoping-to-call-on-talisman-shola-ameobi-61634-30449999/

Ameobi is something of a talisman given his record in derbies – he has scored six times in the fixture and has only been on the losing side once.

The striker was absent from training yesterday with what seems to be the initial signs of a cold, and Pardew is hoping the Lemsip will be doing the trick tonight in order for the player to make it into St James’ tomorrow morning.

And even if he does stagger in and is clearly not fit to play, Pardew hopes Ameobi will still be standing long enough to give the troops an inspiring send-off.

He said: “I’m definitely tempted to start with Shola, although I’ll have to wait and see how he is because he has a headache and feels like a cold is coming.

“Shola’s a bit delicate like that, so we’ll be sending some tablets round and stroking him a little bit! It will be important to us that he’s in that dressing room.

“Fans should not underestimate just how important Shola is to us in that dressing room. Whether he plays or not, he’s always the same. He’s extremely influential.

“He never swears, but he makes it very clear to everybody how important it is to wear that jersey. I don’t care how ill he is, I will have him in that dressing room on Sunday.

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2012/03/03/pardew-hoping-to-call-on-talisman-shola-ameobi-61634-30449999/

Ameobi is something of a talisman given his record in derbies – he has scored six times in the fixture and has only been on the losing side once.

The striker was absent from training yesterday with what seems to be the initial signs of a cold, and Pardew is hoping the Lemsip will be doing the trick tonight in order for the player to make it into St James’ tomorrow morning.

And even if he does stagger in and is clearly not fit to play, Pardew hopes Ameobi will still be standing long enough to give the troops an inspiring send-off.

He said: “I’m definitely tempted to start with Shola, although I’ll have to wait and see how he is because he has a headache and feels like a cold is coming.

“Shola’s a bit delicate like that, so we’ll be sending some tablets round and stroking him a little bit! It will be important to us that he’s in that dressing room.

“Fans should not underestimate just how important Shola is to us in that dressing room. Whether he plays or not, he’s always the same. He’s extremely influential.

“He never swears, but he makes it very clear to everybody how important it is to wear that jersey. I don’t care how ill he is, I will have him in that dressing room on Sunday.

The only time I don't mind Shola playing is against the mackems, he's always motivated and he was unplayable in the 5-1 win.

Regardless of his record against the mackems, what kind of sane football manager is genuinely 'tempted' to start a bloke with one goal all season and, more importantly, one who has turned in a string of the worst performances by a premier league centre forward in history, ahead of anyone, let alone the likes of Ba, Cisse and even Ben Arfa. I hope this is just a case of Pardew making the right noises.

i wonder if the general feeling on wearside (they don't seem to optimistic) will have an affect on their team.

This is their problem time and time again though, they don't turn up to support their team, they turn up to hate ours.

Guest Haris Vuckic

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Sport/Pix/pictures/2012/3/2/1330703302384/Newcastle-United-v-Sunder-001.jpg

That looks a perfect game for Pardews long ball tbh. Bypass that midfield.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

If we try to play football the two Dembas really could fucking annihilate their centre halves.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

If you search 'Mackem' or 'Mackems' on Google search nearly all the pictures are pisstakes against Mackems.  :lol:

For once, an incredibly PR savvy and clever decision by Ashley/Dekka/whoever to announce the new contracts the day before the derby. Gives the players, staff and fans a huge lift.