Newcastle United 1 - 0 Norwich - 18/3/12 - post-match reaction from page 35

Beren

Decent half, should have had a second but looked comfortable mostly.

Hope we keep trying to play it second half.

Don't think we've been that comfortable. But I thoroughly agree with your second sentiment.

Need to step it up, we started well then faded badly. Have had a few glimpses of class ©mackems since and could easily have 3 but we need to maintain that play. We get scared and revert to hot potato when it doesn't go our way.

Interesting half - some good steps in the right direction. Got to say it though, Guthrie looks a mess in the middle.

What? I think he's been good.

Me too. Other than the bad touch leading to the free kick at the end he's done well.

Should be a few up really. Great goal from Cisse, and two fantastic saves from Ruddy to deny him and Ba. Just a bit worried that are looking shaky when pressed, I'd expect us to be able to pass and move better when under pressure from this lot. We need another goal for certain, just to be safe.

Lets not do a wolves 2nd half now please.

And don't underestimate Norwich, they're a very well managed side, I expect them to adapt.

Yeah, I was really keen for us to get an early lead as Lambert will be much better in-game than Pardew IMO.

That said, today, I think we have too much quality on the park for them. They don't have a Perch/Simpson CB-pairing get out of jail this time :lol:

Our formation has been something like this:

Krul

Simpson Williamson Colo

Perch              Jonas

Guthrie          Cabaye

HBA                Ba

Cisse

Jonas has been revelationary.

Interesting half - some good steps in the right direction. Got to say it though, Guthrie looks a mess in the middle.

What? I think he's been good.

Me too. Other than the bad touch leading to the free kick at the end he's done well.

:dontknow:

Gave the ball away a fair bit with passes which were too early/ambitious IMO. I'm all for forward passes etc, but there were better options on.

Some real brain dead use of possession from Guthrie, Williamson, Simpson and Ben Arfa, who is at his frustrating but less than best today.

What exactly has happened to Williamson.. he was slow but he used to have a footballing brain, did the mackems abduct him and brainwash him in his sleep or something. He is a fucking HUGE liability.  Cabaye reminds me of Scott Parker for us, goes about his job but doesnt appear to do much. Guthrie and Ben Arfa have been hit and miss.

Please for the love of goodness, think about where you are passing the ball in the second half guys, should be 3-0 now at least. Dissapointed Cisse hasn't done better but cracking finish our goal.

Guti hasn't been amazing but his passing has been on several occassions.

I have no idea what Guthrie is trying to do. Holding on to the ball too long and continuously trying overly ambitious balls when in possession.

Jonas cannot actually defend at all, but he is putting in a great amount of running and has been very good when coming forward late. The problems will arise (as they did for Argentina) when the other team actually has enough of the ball to attack him consistently, but it may work for a match like this.

Perch :lol:

Loving him today. Running his socks of and throwing himself into all types of challenges.

He's been bloody brilliant, it's so weird. :lol:

He's been good pretty much all season, tbf.

? We conceded 4 at Norwich with him being our worst player man. All season?

"Pretty much." Nice selective reading though.

Guest VaVaVoom

I think we have played well in spells but still switch off and look sloppy. Proper hit and miss.

Great goal from Cisse, his 1st chance was a tough one but he really should of scored with his 3rd chance.

Jonas having on of his better games, Perch doing well, Guthrie and Cabaye need to get on the ball more and get Ben Arfa into the game.

Need to step it up a gear in the second. Another goal will kill this lot off.

Really liking this system think it has some potential thats a damn load more movement than usual.

It lends itself to less hoof ball purely down the availability of personnel in the middle.

Indeed, would be really nice to see after a few games in a row and Tiote in midfield along with a proper midfield general aka a playmaker.

Also it allows to play the Front 3 and be defensively balanced. Hoping its a long term thing and not just a spur of the moment type thing from Pardew.

Satisfied with that. We've looked dangerous with every attack and we've contained them easily, up until the last five minutes where they exploited the frailties down our left. We look uncomfortable with the ball at the back because they're pressing us high up the pitch - no surprises there considering the lack of footballing ability Simpson and Williamson have. We're being forced to punt it on the odd occasion but there's no real shame there. We're trying to play football this afternoon, and we've benefited from that from an attacking point of view.

It's a little bit like the Mackems at the moment. Everyone behind the ball when they've got it, soak up pressure, break.

We're doing okay. Cisse and Ba look dangerous. Cabaye and Guthrie relatively comfortable, but could be a bit better with the passing. Perch proving to be a decent barrier in front of the defense.

Confident at the moment.

Our formation has been something like this:

Krul

Simpson Williamson Colo

Perch              Jonas

Guthrie          Cabaye

HBA                Ba

Cisse

Jonas has been revelationary.

Get the feeling that its not supposed to be asymmetrical like that. Just what does Simpson do that Santon doesn't do better?

Guest Klizsch

Jonas seems strangely liberated as the only player on the left. Bit hit and miss defensively, not more so than anyone else we've played there though