Newcastle United 1 - 0 Norwich - 18/3/12 - post-match reaction from page 35

Beren

He was supposed to be playing out wide and simply refused to. It was a very undisciplined performance by him.

He played very narrow but he and Gutierrez were at the hub of most of our attacks. They linked up well as a pair down that side.

1st Half.  We didn't do a single attack down the left hand side until the 75th minute 2nd half.

We were crap for a lot of the Second Half I'll agree. That's where I think Pardew's subs were smart, the introduction of Santon and Shola settled the side down.

The subs were right, tho I didn't agree with the HBA going off for Santon.  I would had took off Guthrie.

Harsh on HBA yes as I thought he did give us a fair bit of impetus in the First Half. Guthrie was decent in fits and starts, but for a guy of decent build he gets knocked off the ball too easily.

I just can't get away with how bad he is off the ball, it's where Cabaye excels in as his workrate off the ball is fantastic, Guthrie's for some reason is poor.

Yep. Off the ball he's horrendous.

He was supposed to be playing out wide and simply refused to. It was a very undisciplined performance by him.

He played very narrow but he and Gutierrez were at the hub of most of our attacks. They linked up well as a pair down that side.

1st Half.  We didn't do a single attack down the left hand side until the 75th minute 2nd half.

We were crap for a lot of the Second Half I'll agree. That's where I think Pardew's subs were smart, the introduction of Santon and Shola settled the side down.

The subs were right, tho I didn't agree with the HBA going off for Santon.  I would had took off Guthrie.

Harsh on HBA yes as I thought he did give us a fair bit of impetus in the First Half. Guthrie was decent in fits and starts, but for a guy of decent build he gets knocked off the ball too easily.

I just can't get away with how bad he is off the ball, it's where Cabaye excels in as his workrate off the ball is fantastic, Guthrie's for some reason is poor.

Yep. Off the ball he's horrendous.

no problem with his workrate, just dont think hes that good at finding space for himself

also seems to get drawn in too much, defensively he is constantly leaving gaps for opposition players to get inbetween our midfield and defence, i think its a simple case of not being able to read the game well enough to be as effective in that role as our first choice midfield pairing.

Not the inspirational victory we wanted but a very good win regardless. A lot of criticism of the performance but distilled into context we won,kept a clean sheet, scored a goal worthy of winning any game,created several good chances and restricted a useful Norwich side to a couple of half chances which once again our superb young keeper dealt with adequately.

Thought some of the crowd treatment of Williamson was disgraceful. He is rock bottom on confidence and it clearly shows, but he's our CH for the remaining very important games and getting on his back will do nothing for our cause. He needs our support. At present we have a back four with only one person playing with any authority.

Ironically a player who was getting the same treatment not so long ago,James Perch, put in a really hard working performance and was probably MOTM. It was certainly a performance Tiote would have been proud of and has only exceeded on one occasion this season.

Another player who gets both barrels from a section of the crowd every time he makes a mistake came on for the fourth consecutive match and contributed excellently making the ball stick to help out a stretched defence.

How do you know? Mick Lowes tell you? looked like we were playing 4-3-3 to me.

Thought Cabaye had a good game, harried them endlessly and played some really nice passes.

He was bollocks man and has been for months.

I thought he was our best player, he was everywhere and his work rate was amazing. Just because his name wasn't mentioned by the commentators that much doesn't mean he was shit.

I have never been a fan of Williamson but, for the last few games my "meh" has been replaced with a "will you just fuck off!".

Can't bear to watch him, he is so uncomfortable on the ball and positionally clueless that it is making me angry to even just write this.  How is he making a living at football?

Hope Pardew took note that the possession for the goal was obtained from Ben Arfa robbing a Norwich player in our half.

The benefits of tracking back.. ;)

Which he used to do anyway, before Pardew used it as an excuse to keep him out of the team in favour of Obertan. Don't claim that as a victory man.

Hope Pardew took note that the possession for the goal was obtained from Ben Arfa robbing a Norwich player in our half.

The benefits of tracking back.. ;)

Which he used to do anyway, before Pardew used it as an excuse to keep him out of the team in favour of Obertan. Don't claim that as a victory man.

Lighten up a little.  I've been in favour of HBA playing pretty much all season.

Norwich and Swansea look like teams that have been put together to play in a certain way. We look like a bunch of individual parts not yet linking up into a whole. The quality of our individual parts led to our goal and the win, but we're still a work in progress. Pardew is experimenting with different players and different systems, trying to get it right, but in the meantime we're looking incoherent.

I'm still optimistic that it'll come together in time, particularly if we can strengthen in a few positions.

Guest BooBoo

Atmosphere was flat as a fart. To be honest, there's been very few good ones this year at SJP. Spurs, Man Utd and the mackems were good but the rest very quiet.

Atmosphere was flat as a fart. To be honest, there's been very few good ones this year at SJP. Spurs, Man Utd and the mackems were good but the rest very quiet.

Thought the Gallowgate corner sounded canny and credit to them for trying to lift the team.