NUFC Kits

Espio

Guest Grim Dux

even as nicknames they're crap. i love the organic british nicknames (interesting to find out some euro ones aswell), the saddlers, the biscuitmen, the bullie wee etc. the american style is like someone saying "you know what, i don't have a nickname, lets think, right listen everyone i need a nickname, the choices are, ace, star,and hero"

That's not being fair. Some of the newer franchises went that route, but the majority of the big 4 American sports (NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL) teams have historic names related to the city or area that they originated in.

even as nicknames they're crap. i love the organic british nicknames (interesting to find out some euro ones aswell), the saddlers, the biscuitmen, the bullie wee etc. the american style is like someone saying "you know what, i don't have a nickname, lets think, right listen everyone i need a nickname, the choices are, ace, star,and hero"

That's not being fair. Some of the newer franchises went that route, but the majority of the big 4 American sports (NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL) teams have historic names related to the city or area that they originated in.

yeah they do, my own steelers for example but of late, no, it's been crap (and here's a word i may have made up but you'll understand it anyway) genericism.

Brits are cunts man, got nowt to do in rainville, so they spend their time bashing "stupid" Americans and their lack of history. Would be a lot less common if there weren't so many stupid fucking Americans like.

I always get the sense that Brits think our sports were born yesterday.

as grim dux alluded to there are many names thast are a bit more organic (steelers, oilers, seahawks, 49ers,patriots) but are there many jaguars in jacksonville or titans in tennessee, or are those nicknames purely cos they have the same letter as the place ?

Brits are cunts man, got nowt to do in rainville, so they spend their time bashing "stupid" Americans and their lack of history. Would be a lot less common if there weren't so many stupid fucking Americans like.

Hardly even rains here you turncoat.

In MLS soccer, the Dallas Burn renamed to FC Dallas.    Much better name.

And Kansas City Wizards renamed to Sporting Kansas City....nice try but still not quite right.

Folk moan about the FC though, they would've preferred SC if it was going that way

as grim dux alluded to there are many names thast are a bit more organic (steelers, oilers, seahawks, 49ers,patriots) but are there many jaguars in jacksonville or titans in tennessee, or are those nicknames purely cos they have the same letter as the place ?

I get that and don't disagree. My comment was more of a built up response to a number of different posts over time.

I was really pissed when the Bullets changed their name to Wizards in a fit of PC.

Edit: Which is really fucked up, as wizard is also a position in the KKK. This in a mostly black city.

Guest Grim Dux

Not anymore, there used to be though. I agree, Titans is an awful name.

Like I said before, almost all of the teams that are pre-90's teams have historical names. It's just the newer expansion teams that come up with goofy ass names.

The Raptors are basically named after Jurassic Park.  ;D

Not anymore, there used to be though. I agree, Titans is an awful name.

Like I said before, almost all of the teams that are pre-90's teams have historical names. It's just the newer expansion teams that come up with goofy ass names.

The Raptors are basically named after Jurassic Park.  ;D

I'll have you know we have a splendid museum here which houses several dinosaur bone installations.  Been here for decades.  DECADES.

Hardly even rains here you turncoat.

Furk off man you soggy British Kernt

We can name our sports teams any generic, cringe-worthy, cliche' name we please you limey bastards, we earned it! :p

http://www.socialstudiesforkids.com/graphics/fifeanddrum.jpg

http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/images/hb/hb_97.34.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_QjRD1qokf6E/SqhHbq9qbuI/AAAAAAAAA4o/CLe3rLvI-B4/s640/AmericanRevolutionYorktown.jpg

Whats the craic with the Puma shirts always being leaked anyway? It was leaked ages before it was announced officially last year as well.

aren't all strips leaked ? (well at least the ones enough people are bothered about.)

I might be wrong, but I don't remember any of our Adidas shirts being leaked? Plus the Puma shirts are leaked ages before they are announced. Look how long ago that shirt was posted, and even last seasons when it was leaked.

Guest Grim Dux

I'll have you know we have a splendid museum here which houses several dinosaur bone installations.  Been here for decades.  DECADES.

Should have named them the Toronto Doctor Grants

I will admit, it was an appropriate name when you had Bosh. Perhaps more fitting than any other team's name in the league...

http://thesportsblahblog.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/boshraptor.jpg

http://rootzoo.com/article_photo_uploads/Tbork03_21383_13146.jpg

Definitely get this feeling from some even though the formation of the Football League and Major League Baseball (modern era) were ~15 years apart.

Giant 'meh' to the new shirt by the way.