Wigan Athletic 4 - 0 Newcastle United - 28/04/12 - post-match reaction from pg48

Dave

Much as I love him, that was a major rick from Coloccini for their second goal. I would hate to see the reaction if one of our lesser lights had done that. If we'd managed to stabilise after the first then the game may have played out differently. As it was, it was two goals in two minutes and we were all over the place.

Newcastle manager Alan Pardew: "We just didn't match their intensity. Forget shape, systems and so on, intensity is everything in football. For the first two goals we were really lose and disorganised. It was not until half-time that we got back to our level and showed discipline.

"We were honest in the second half, showed pride and at Chelsea on Wednesday we will show the intensity we're used to showing and give them a far stronger game. If you were here today you'd have to say we got beat by the better team."

Why attempt to match them up switching to 3-4-3 with it being a formation we have never used or presumably worked on, against a side who play the system all of the time.

It had appeared to stabilize us to be fair even though we conceded another 2. We were getting torn apart anyway. Wigan were fantastic in their approach tbh

Have to say, matching their formation (in the process throwing Simpson into the centre and Santon all the way across to the right) was an absolutely baffling decision.

I could kind of see the idea, but it's not something you do 20 minutes into a match - especially when it was still 'only' 2-0.

we look more comfortable sitting back, retaining our defensive shape and then hitting teams on the break or with very quick, direct attacking moves, so our entire game plan is disrupted when we go behind.

saying that wigan just seemed to have more options than us in their final third - we're used to our midfielders tracking back well but even with all our lot camped outside our box they always had a free man, whether it be mccarthy, di santo or maloney, and we couldn't live with it. jonas in particular looked like a headless chicken and cabaye was dropping deep where is he ineffectual on the ball.

on top of that, with the likes of santon and simpson coming inside to help out, it just opened up room out wide for their wing backs. so even our defensive shape, which has been so good this season, was ripped open. i thought Colo played quite well though, there were plenty of occasions where he was doing a lot of last-ditch defending and you wondered where exactly Williamson was hiding. as for the moses header - for a big lad he's got very little presence, athleticism or even aerial ability.

if there's one element we have been missing this season it is the ability to keep possesion and dictate the tempo of a match to take the sting out of it. we've managed it in the last 15 or so mins of games that are already pretty much over, but we still struggle to build out from the back. would've been useful in this match to have had a more intelligent player than Jonas in midfield.

Btw Santon made some fantastic surging runs in the first half.

Thought he was rattled at first but grew into the game and was quality after. Definitely big player for future, good on the ball, getting better with his discipline and defending also. Shows Simpson right up

Have to say, matching their formation (in the process throwing Simpson into the centre and Santon all the way across to the right) was an absolutely baffling decision.

I could kind of see the idea, but it's not something you do 20 minutes into a match - especially when it was still 'only' 2-0.

We were on the back foot so I could see why Pardew decided to change it there and then. Wigan had so much more width than we did so I guess Pardew wanted to shut down the threat from the wings.

Thought Cabaye at least tried to get us playing today. Wish Ben Arfas engine had started in the first half also, he was quality for that 10-15 minute spell, just nothing went for us today up front. We need to play compact against Chelsea and look for the breaks. I do hope Pardew does not change the 4-2-3-1 formation though, it allows us to be fluid, just needs to tinker with the shape

No idea what happened with Williamson for the Moses header. It was like the ball was flighted too low for him. Should have pissed all over Moses, who barely even jumped never mind direct in a powerful header.

Organisation goes out the window if we let one in. Thats not just when we let one in first aswell, conceding full stop seems to bring this on.

Needs to be addressed if we gunna stay where we are.

highlight of the game for me was this scruffy little radgie coming in the pub, shouting 'SAFC' once or twice, calling some lad a pussy, offering him outside, being dragged out, kicking off again, launching a chair at the manager, mouthing off more, getting a good kicking by some lad outside having a tab, running off, then coming back and being dealt another hiding.

Funny as fuck.

Btw, f***ing big respect to Martinez playing that formation and having that team playing decent football - must stay up now, prefer them to Blackburn and Bolton

Always liked him as a manager, always thought he would do a good job here.

highlight of the game for me was this scruffy little radgie coming in the pub, shouting 'SAFC' once or twice, calling some lad a pussy, offering him outside, being dragged out, kicking off again, launching a chair at the manager, mouthing off more, getting a good kicking by some lad outside having a tab, running off, then coming back and being dealt another hiding.

Funny as fuck.

sounds like what mosses did to Colo tbh.

No idea what happened with Williamson for the Moses header. It was like the ball was flighted too low for him. Should have pissed all over Moses, who barely even jumped never mind direct in a powerful header.

came in at an awkward position for him, and don't think he has the presence or agility to deal with stuff like that. in that situation if you can't win the header at least make life uncomfortable for the smaller player.

tbh even in more conventional heading situations he looks fairly unconvincing.

We were on the back foot so I could see why Pardew decided to change it there and then. Wigan had so much more width than we did so I guess Pardew wanted to shut down the threat from the wings.

Which is fair enough, but I can think of a better way of doing it than switching the LB to RB mid-game and pulling a midfielder into LB.

They looked lost. There was a moment in the box between Santon and Simpson where they didn't know who was supposed to defending what :lol:

Guest Roy the Irish Magpie

Wish a real team would give him a job so Wigan can fuck off back to obscurity.

Not gonna happen. DW has him on his knees sucking his mickey dry or "loyal" as some people put it.

Horrible game from us. No will to win basically. And no movement at all. Does not compute against a team fighting relegation. Wigan played great, but we made them look much better than they are. I'll put this game down as a rare slip from the otherwise composed tactician Pardew is. That, and the players bar Santon and Ben Arfa, looked bored and disinterested. Also, Williamson needs to go, or at the very best remain at the club as a 4th choice CB. 

Btw, f***ing big respect to Martinez playing that formation and having that team playing decent football - must stay up now, prefer them to Blackburn and Bolton

Always liked him as a manager, always thought he would do a good job here.

He has never really came across as a cunt or anything, think he will be good enough for a bigger club eventually. Seems to have the right approach to football like.  Good tactically, has them playing some good stuff as well. Reckon he may end up at Villa or somewhere like that in next few years (Maybe next if Mcleash gets the sack)