Chelsea vs Newcastle United - 02/05/12 @ 7.45pm - pre-match thread

Dave

tbf tho the last 2 games at Stamford Bridge have been draws i would bite my own hand off for another draw as already mentioned  :lol:

Unbeaten in last 3 if you include cup games.

Oh yh i forgot about the 4-3 in the cup  :D ( btw id take a 4-3 win too :D )

Is that short for "yeah"?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/may/01/alan-pardew-newcastle-united-chelsea

Alan Pardew will be back on familiar territory when his Newcastle United players arrive at Stamford Bridge on Wednesday night. A few years ago he developed something of a fixation with José Mourinho, the then Chelsea manager, and spent part of his free time shadowing the "Special One".

"I know Chelsea well," said Pardew. "Before I got this job and moved north, Chelsea was perhaps the team I visited most. I did a big study of Mourinho, how he played and how he got that unbeaten record at home."

Along the way Mourinho, now coaching Real Madrid, invited him behind the scenes. "I took in Chelsea's training ground a couple of times," said the Newcastle manager, whose family home in Surrey is handily placed for that facility while also being a relatively easy commute from Stamford Bridge.

"I just wanted to get my head round their incredible record at home under Mourinho. They must have gone two-and-a-half seasons without losing at home and José had done that at Porto before that. It wasn't just about great players, there was obviously something else going on. I came away with a couple of things."

Many of Roberto Di Matteo's squad are familiar faces. "I know Chelsea's players very well," Pardew said. "They're re-motivated now. The fact that it was reported they needed to be replaced because they lacked legs has now worked on the other side of the coin. They're proving everybody wrong, that's what great players do."

Di Matteo's Champions League finalists are sixth, one point behind the fifth‑placed Newcastle and Tottenham Hotspur, who visit Bolton Wanderers night standing fourth, courtesy of superior goal difference.

"It's going to be a big night for Champions League qualification, there's no getting away from that," said Pardew. "After Chelsea we've still got two more games left where things can change again but Wednesday will be significant."

His Newcastle team ended a run of six successive wins with a 4-0 defeat at Wigan Athletic on Saturday and, on returning to training, the players were greeted by the chilling sight of a mobile cryotherapy unit parked at their weekday headquarters.

It was filled with individual ice baths in which Pardew's first‑teamers plunged to hasten their physical recovery from the Wigan game, while perhaps also imbuing them with an extra mental edge.

"I don't think there'll be any problem with the psychology of our team now," he said. "It has to be a bad time to play Chelsea but we're looking for a big reaction."

Pardew accepts Newcastle may yet end up in the Europa League and is duly anxious to finish at least fifth rather than sixth, which would shorten the summer break by requiring involvement in early qualifying rounds. "If we can't strive for fourth, it's important we strive for fifth."

That part is very interesting. Considering out of 20 Home games in all comps this season, we've only lost 2.

Chelsea where we lost both CB's to injury & Wbrom where Simpson played CB due to that also. Pretty exceptional circumstances, whatever secrets hes learnt they're working very nicely for us.

Guest BenArfaKedavra

With the way this season has gone it just has to be a toon win and then chelsea win the champions league. Just the way the story goes.

Guest Spark

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/may/01/alan-pardew-newcastle-united-chelsea

Alan Pardew will be back on familiar territory when his Newcastle United players arrive at Stamford Bridge on Wednesday night. A few years ago he developed something of a fixation with José Mourinho, the then Chelsea manager, and spent part of his free time shadowing the "Special One".

"I know Chelsea well," said Pardew. "Before I got this job and moved north, Chelsea was perhaps the team I visited most. I did a big study of Mourinho, how he played and how he got that unbeaten record at home."

Along the way Mourinho, now coaching Real Madrid, invited him behind the scenes. "I took in Chelsea's training ground a couple of times," said the Newcastle manager, whose family home in Surrey is handily placed for that facility while also being a relatively easy commute from Stamford Bridge.

"I just wanted to get my head round their incredible record at home under Mourinho. They must have gone two-and-a-half seasons without losing at home and José had done that at Porto before that. It wasn't just about great players, there was obviously something else going on. I came away with a couple of things."

Many of Roberto Di Matteo's squad are familiar faces. "I know Chelsea's players very well," Pardew said. "They're re-motivated now. The fact that it was reported they needed to be replaced because they lacked legs has now worked on the other side of the coin. They're proving everybody wrong, that's what great players do."

Di Matteo's Champions League finalists are sixth, one point behind the fifth‑placed Newcastle and Tottenham Hotspur, who visit Bolton Wanderers night standing fourth, courtesy of superior goal difference.

"It's going to be a big night for Champions League qualification, there's no getting away from that," said Pardew. "After Chelsea we've still got two more games left where things can change again but Wednesday will be significant."

His Newcastle team ended a run of six successive wins with a 4-0 defeat at Wigan Athletic on Saturday and, on returning to training, the players were greeted by the chilling sight of a mobile cryotherapy unit parked at their weekday headquarters.

It was filled with individual ice baths in which Pardew's first‑teamers plunged to hasten their physical recovery from the Wigan game, while perhaps also imbuing them with an extra mental edge.

"I don't think there'll be any problem with the psychology of our team now," he said. "It has to be a bad time to play Chelsea but we're looking for a big reaction."

Pardew accepts Newcastle may yet end up in the Europa League and is duly anxious to finish at least fifth rather than sixth, which would shorten the summer break by requiring involvement in early qualifying rounds. "If we can't strive for fourth, it's important we strive for fifth."

That part is very interesting. Considering out of 20 Home games in all comps this season, we've only lost 2.

Chelsea where we lost both CB's to injury & Wbrom where Simpson played CB due to that also. Pretty exceptional circumstances, whatever secrets hes learnt they're working very nicely for us.

When you say it like that, it's bloody impressive.

With the way this season has gone it just has to be a toon win and then chelsea win the champions league. Just the way the story goes.

The season has been almost 100% great, I don't see why that means it should have a tragic ending.

This is the Premier League, the undisputed Best League In The World . Did you see Wigan win at the Emirates? Or Sunderland win at Chelsea last season? If nothing else, we should know by now that any side - with good organisation, tactics and teamwork - can beat any other side. Not only do we have good organisation, tactics and teamwork but we have bucketloads of talent too! If you believe, you can achieve. We have Hatem, Yohan, Papiss, Fabricio, Cheick and Demba. Let's go there, pick up the win, trash the dressing rooms and crash the Champions League party. We can do it! C'MON!!!

....having said that, I'll go with 2-0 to Chelsea.

Guest hatem garrincha

Some voices in the press (Scott Wilson's one of them) talking about 4-4-2 formation tonight, with a strong midfield and Ba or HBA on the bench.

Your opinions ?

.com reckon Marveux, Guthrie and Obermars are all available for selection. We'll hopefully see an impressive bench tonight then for the first time in a while.

When you say it like that, it's bloody impressive.

We also only lost 2 home games (from 11) last season after Pardew took over. Against Man City and Everton.