Paul Lambert appointed manager of Aston Villa

AlanSkÃrare

Surely the majority of jobs in football are 'stepping stones' to an extent? I'd imagine if Real Madrid came calling most managers in world football would head that way quick sharpish, Pardew included.

Tbf if he does such a good job with Villa to the point that Man Utd come calling after Fergie's retirement, firstly how could they begrudge him after he's done what would have to have been a phenomenal job. Secondly, he's obvoiusly gotten you back up to the top half of the table and doing something right that you'd think they could then replace him with another good manager that won't set them back 5-10 years.

This is under the assumption that Fergie retires before Solskjaer, anyway. :laugh:... :undecided:

Guest BooBoo

Surely the majority of jobs in football are 'stepping stones' to an extent? I'd imagine if Real Madrid came calling most managers in world football would head that way quick sharpish, Pardew included.

To an extent. It's different though with Solksjkaer who has made no disguise of his desire to end up at Man Utd. Pardew has never mentioned wanting to manage Madrid and its got zero chance of happening anyway. It would be like if Shearer got a job anywhere other than Newcastle. There would always be speculation that he would have eyes on the Newcastle job.

Would love this to fail for both parties involved.  Although on the otherhand, it would be interesting if he took over from Fergie and did poorly, could have a Dalglish situation where the fans want to stick by him for sentimental reasons even as he fucks them over.

Would love this to fail for both parties involved.  Although on the otherhand, it would be interesting if he took over from Fergie and did poorly, could have a Dalglish situation where the fans want to stick by him for sentimental reasons even as he fucks them over.

Couldn't see that. Dalglish is an icon to them, spanning decades of involvement. Solskjaer is more just a cult hero. Couldn't see that get in the way of the majority of fans' feelings if they're slipping away. But yeah, I can't wait to see who Man Utd shoot for when Ferguson goes, want to see if they balls it up.

Would love this to fail for both parties involved.  Although on the otherhand, it would be interesting if he took over from Fergie and did poorly, could have a Dalglish situation where the fans want to stick by him for sentimental reasons even as he f***s them over.

Couldn't see that. Dalglish is an icon to them, spanning decades of involvement. Solskjaer is more just a cult hero. Couldn't see that get in the way of the majority of fans' feelings if they're slipping away. But yeah, I can't wait to see who Man Utd shoot for when Ferguson goes, want to see if they balls it up.

Almost certainly be Mourinho imo.

It's quite clear that this is Solksjkaer attempting to earn an apprenticeship in the hope of ending up at Man Utd when Fergie calls it a day.

I'd be very very wary if I was a Villa fan about appointing him.

Not really like. He'll need to have done something amazing at Villa to get the Utd. job. I'm sure Brucey thought he might get that job one day.

It's quite clear that this is Solksjkaer attempting to earn an apprenticeship in the hope of ending up at Man Utd when Fergie calls it a day.

Not really like. He'll need to have done something amazing at Villa to get the Utd. job. I'm sure Brucey thought he might get that job one day.

Fergie absolutely loves Solskjær, though. :dontknow:

THAT. WOULD. BE. AMAZING :bruce:

Surely not to the point that he puts his dynasty and own reputation in jeopardy to get him the job? :lol:

Surely not to the point that he puts his dynasty and own reputation in jeopardy to get him the job? :lol:

If Solskjær does well at Villa, I wouldn't be surprised tbh. I recall an interview where Fergie said Solskjær was the one of his former players he believed would become a good manager.

If Solskjær does well at Villa, I wouldn't be surprised tbh. I recall an interview where Fergie said Solskjær was the one of his former players he believed would become a good manager.

This. Remember that interview, too.

I am very glad we are a stable club for a change this summer. villa look like they may have to wait until at least chelsea and liverpool name a manager before anyone will commit and that could be a long way off yet.

I'm guessing Sky are reporting this following his press conference this morning. He far from turned them down like, was more a come and get me plea.

This. Remember that interview, too.

He'll have to do very well though. Top 6 at a minimum which is a big task. Can't see Fergie convincing the Man Utd. hierarchy to let a midtable manager take over the job and I doubt he'd suggest it. He must see big potential in OSG but he's got to go a long way to fulfil it before he gets the big job.

I'm guessing Sky are reporting this following his press conference this morning. He far from turned them down like, was more a come and get me plea.

Doesn't sound like 'Come and get me' to me.

"I have not had any offers," Solskjaer told a press conference. "I'm not looking for another job.

"In football, and in life in general, things turn up that you have to make decisions about. I have a contract for two more years and I'll stand by that."