Vurnon Anita (now playing for RKC Waalwijk)

ponsaelius

• 2 weeks later...

The shame for him is that, had he played more at right back in the prem, which looks like his natural position, he could have got international recognition there.

Still could, his competition is Janmaat :lol:

Janmaat hasn't been starting for them recently has he ?

The shame for him is that, had he played more at right back in the prem, which looks like his natural position, he could have got international recognition there.

Still could, his competition is Janmaat [emoji38]

Started their last game v Sweden

Still could, his competition is Janmaat [emoji38]

Started their last game v Sweden

Yeah I know and I thought it must've due to injuries. Sure he hadn't started for ages before that.

The more I see that penalty shout against him the more I think it really wasn't but they are given most of the time.

It was very risky stuff. The way he reacted you could tell by his face he was like "oh shit". For me whenever players resct like that it's tell tale sign they know they've fucked up. If they didn't think they fucked up they'd just act normal. It was a close one to call and relieved it went our way but I wouldnt have been too pissed if it was given because while there wasn't a lot of contact on review he does stick his knee out a bit and make contact as a result so there is just enough there for Derby to argue their case.

He went on to have another solid game anyway long may his good form continue.

Doesn't get anywhere near the credit he deserves. If a manager as good as Rafa is so keen to get him in his team that he'll play him in central midfield, right wing, right back etc. You just have to accept that he's a very good footballer.  As supporters we know stuff about football and our club but we don't see what the real experts see. There was loads of doubt about the lineup tonight and yet we looked great and won 0-2. Sometimes you just have to accept that Rafa knows best.

I was a big fan of him back when I thought Pardew was criminally underusing him, but he has showed often that in centre midfield he can be overpowered and bypassed and he goes invisible. He is a very accomplished tidy player at times, and he has very much impressed me last few games at right back, however he seems to be permanently on some swing of oooh he's doing well at right back lets try him in the middle till he's tried in the middle and fails.

In a possession based 3 man midfield he may work but here's the problem, he's naturally defensive but not strong enough to be the midfield enforcer, so he either sits alongside a proper defensive mid and then we have a very negative midfield who won't bring the ball forward, or he is expected to win the ball not just circulate it and he ends up being overrun. Alongside a strong ballwinning box to box type player or two he may thrive in the middle but I don't really think his midfield type really fits either with the squad or the league. Atm however he has cemented his right back position well and perhaps handy as emergency midfielder.

I think purely theoretically he could play like Guardiola's full backs and tuck into the midfield to give more numbers there but seems unlikely this ploy will catch on too much, and that is kinda reliant on being able to go to 3 man defense fluidly. He may suit more sophisticated systems as he is a smart player (which is why Benitez has praised him) and perhaps could do the false-cb thing in a 3 man back line but again such tactical experimentation is totally unnecessary and just risky at this level.

Nearly all of Derby's better attacks came down his flank, and they were clearly targeting him. He's doing okay, but we need a better alternative.

Possibly because their better attacker was on that side as well? It's not always a slide rule. He's our starting right-back when full strength, and rightly so.