Vurnon Anita (now playing for RKC Waalwijk)

ponsaelius

He's so good at reading the game in the middle, popping out of no where to intercept passes when their CMs are going for that killer pass. Really an unsung hero. He does a lot of dirty work that doesn't get all the plaudits it should.

I also love the way the ball just kind of pops off his foot. His passing range is great too which a lot of good off the ball movement, he's never hiding and always looking to be an outlet.

He played well on Saturday after the first 15 where we were all over the place. He was certainly better than Colback but let's not pretend he's turned any kind of corner yet. Man U didn't put us under any kind of real pressure to get at our weaknesses. For that same reason Colo and Taylor had fairly comfortable games.

what kind of corner does he have to turn like?  he's a footballer who can play football, now that we're playing football he's starting to look a decent midfielder and will continue to do so as long as we play to his strengths and not his weaknesses as we'd done for the entirety of his time with us

We didn't play much football on Saturday tbf. We set up perfectly for Anita to max his strengths and Man Utd. played to his strengths too. But Anita did his thing. It's where there's strong midfield runners looking to get ahead of the strikers and really boss the midfield is where he usually struggles. But today we saw a glimpse of what we could do.

i honestly don't think we should be comparing what he's done or not done in the past to what we're seeing now when he plays in the right system

if he's playing behind wijnaldum/sissoko (or colback) and his job is as it was on saturday he'll be able to do the ball recycling thing we all know he can do, but he'll also be better protected and able to track runs, intercept and so on, just as he did on saturday and he's actually very good at

i know it perhaps seems like a massive excuses are always being made for anita but he's a diminutive defensive midfielder playing in the premier league, in the same way that armstrong is a diminutive striker and didn't suit having the ball launched up to him by williamson :lol:

armstrong hasn't "turned a corner" at coventry, he's just being played properly (and of course has dropped down levels)

if you expose anita he's going to look shite because he doesn't have the physical attributes, but played correctly he's twice the CM colback is and offers twice as much

Cracking post. Anita's been criticised by quite a few, most of them without any vision.

Unfortunately I feel that McClaren hooking him before Colback has shown that he will be the one to miss out should Wijnaldum move deeper.

Given how the team is playing and McClaren's general attitude so far that just wouldn't make any sense imo. The only possible reason I can think of is that he would expect Colback to be able to use his body a bit more, even then I'm far from convinced it would be a priority.

• 3 weeks later...

Didn't think he was all that great today? He intercepted one pass brilliantly in the second half leading to a counter attack but can't remember much else he did

Same here. I'm a big Vurn fan but thought he was quiet

He isn't suited to 4231 at all.

He is just such a nothing player. Not s***, not great, not good, not even average, or p*ss poor, he is just meh. I think in general he offers nowt special to justify his inclusion.

Perfect summing up of him really.

Really doesn't. He offers quite a lot, just not in a team that wants to but doesn't have the ability to play a short passing game.

He is just such a nothing player. Not s***, not great, not good, not even average, or p*ss poor, he is just meh. I think in general he offers nowt special to justify his inclusion.

Really doesn't. He offers quite a lot, just not in a team that wants to but doesn't have the ability to play a short passing game.

He offers nowt man. Doesn't score, can't tackle, not a great passer of the ball, not particularly quick, or creative or good in the air. Just nowt about him. Could say that about a few of them like.

He offers nowt man. Doesn't score, can't tackle, not a great passer of the ball, not particularly quick, or creative or good in the air. Just nowt about him. Could say that about a few of them like.

You trying to take College Dropout's worst poster award? Jesus.

You trying to take College Dropout's worst poster award? Jesus.

If you're disagreeing with any of that you've got it in the bag. Either that or you've never actually watched him and formed your opinion of him based on this forum.

Yup, would rather play Tiote than Anita at the minute

Still have no idea what he's supposed to contribute. I think he's an Emperor's New Clothes player for many on this forum.

Keep telling yourself that because nobody actually thinks that, because most consider him our best DM which isn't hard don't mean we think he's the best thing ever.

'Average' is about right for him tonight. He made a couple of good challenges and tried to play the ball out from the back, certainly in the first half. The movement ahead of him simply wasn't there, though.

He isn't a great player but he's better than Tiote and Colback.