Vurnon Anita (now playing for RKC Waalwijk)

ponsaelius

You wnat a DM that breaks up opposition play. Wins tackles. Intercepts the ball. Is in position. Cuts out passing angles. Tracks midfield runners. You would expect your deepest CM to do a job on the oppositions AM. Anita doesn't do this.

If you're not going to be strong defensively, you've gto to be useful on the ball. Anita is not. It was actually Mbemba on Monday who would carry the ball forward, desperately looking for a forward pass. Anita was happy to come deep and pass it to one of the defenders all night. Take responsibility? Hell no.

He was absolute s**** last night, there's no point coming between the centre halves to receive the ball if all you're going to do is give it straight back to them. He's scared to dribble out with the ball because either he can't or fears getting bullied off it. Then when people do break past him, he doesn't even try and stick a foot in as he knows he will likely get bullied again. He plays scared.

The defenders are also capable of bringing the ball out further themselves, anita shouldn't be dropping so deep ffs! he should find space further forward and make the opposing team commit players further forward to get the ball from our defense, thus leaving gaps in midfield. Both colback and anita are playing too deep, so when they want to pass forward the other midfieldddders/attackers/fullbacks are too far from them to make a pass hence the sideways or backward ball.

Just watched the full first half of the game Monday. I have to say that although Anita is a better player than Colback, if only one of them is to be dropped I'd prefer it to be Anita if it meant abandoning that tactic of Anita playing as a third centre half when we have the ball. IMO its one of the major reasons we are creating nothing. Its just absolutely mental to watch something so ineffective still being used after 5 games of the season, its absolutely killing us and its not Anita's fault either, its down to the ridiculous decision from management to persevere with it

Just watched the full first half of the game Monday. I have to say that although Anita is a better player than Colback, if only one of them is to be dropped I'd prefer it to be Anita if it meant abandoning that tactic of Anita playing as a third centre half when we have the ball. IMO its one of the major reasons we are creating nothing. Its just absolutely mental to watch something so ineffective still being used after 5 games of the season, its absolutely killing us and its not Anita's fault either, its down to the ridiculous decision from management to persevere with it

He's a considerably better player than Colback like, can't believe some people doubt it [emoji38]

But I agree, starting to look like he's got to go for the greater good.

It that's the case then surely it would make no difference dropping him?

I look at Steven N'Zonzi's season last year at Stoke as a reference of how to play as a DM in the PL. Anita simply doesn't have a physical enough presense to do it. We need to buy someone, preferably in January, to play as a DM so that Thauvin and Gino can create chances. If not January, I think we can survive till next summer. Colback simply can't start anymore. I thought he could do it before and I was wrong. Also not good enough for the starting eleven. Start on the bench like Guthrie did.

It that's the case then surely it would make no difference dropping him?

I think they see it as a role specifically for Anita rather than one that will always be in the team. For example, when Anita was replaced nobody else then took up that role of dropping between the two centre halves

I look at Steven N'Zonzi's season last year at Stoke as a reference of how to play as a DM in the PL. Anita simply doesn't have a physical enough presense to do it. We need to buy someone, preferably in January, to play as a DM so that Thauvin and Gino can create chances. If not January, I think we can survive till next summer. Colback simply can't start anymore. I thought he could do it before and I was wrong. Also not good enough for the starting eleven. Start on the bench like Guthrie did.

http://www.baritaliasoho.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/WP_001962.jpg

One of the things that make me laugh most at Anita: when he is full pace running around the pitch, his little legs look like they are going a million miles an hour whilst his body moves in slow motion, kind of like if roadrunner was being held by an elastic band... :ronaldo:

(closest emoti I could find)

I wouldn't really consider N'Zonzi a holding midfielder. He got up and down the pitch. Switched play. Looked to carry the ball forward. Pass forward.

Absolutely dominated Colback and Anita at SJP. Made them look like boys. Close them down with ease. Ran past them with ease. Looked like a teenager playing with primary school kids. Was brilliant when Stoke thumped Liverpool on the last day of the season too. 

Think Stoke are missing him.

I look at Steven N'Zonzi's season last year at Stoke as a reference of how to play as a DM in the PL.

I took that to mean a holding midfielder. In any case he wasn't there to act as defensive midfield support. From the few times he stood out to me, he played a box to box game. Dominating midfield. You'll never get that from our inhabitants.

But I guess you've only commented to have a go like.

Nzonzi is probably 60/40 defense/attack minded, the thing is he is decent at both and is big enough to hack it with any midfield. he isn't the most skillfull but he is dominant.

Would have him in a heartbeat over the current two midgets.

I'm responding to a person who unironically uses the term gegenpressing and insists on it's slight differences to high pressing, man. Of course they're not equal  :lol:

Defensive midfielder has always been a pretty loose term, where as a holding midfielder is someone who usually sits in front of the back 4.

He's a considerably better player than Colback like, can't believe some people doubt it [emoji38]

But I agree, starting to look like he's got to go for the greater good.

Colback scores more goals. Colback creates more goals. Colback is the better tackler. Anita is a better passer of the ball.

In summary they're both not up to playing in this league and if they both remain in the team we'll remain in the relegation zone. If McClaren wants to persist with this formation I'd try Tiote and Wijnaldum in there tomorrow with Thauvin, De Jong and Aarons ahead of them with Perez up top. See how that goes.

Nobody said N'Zonzi was a holding midfielder though. You added that in yourself, seemingly so you could display you expert knowledge of Steven N'Zonzi.

DM= holding midfielder I would've thought

Triggs, these people just enjoy quoting me. I'm glad you realise it just makes them look idiotic.

:lol:

TCD is straight up awesome.