Vurnon Anita (now playing for RKC Waalwijk)

ponsaelius

His primary position would be left back, and will instate as holding midfielder when Tiote is injured. I really can't see us going for Debuchy again. A new CB e.g. Douglas and another striker would be more likely IMO. Remember we still have Simpson and Raylor as back up this season.

good signing anyway.

His primary position would be left back, and will instate as holding midfielder when Tiote is injured. I really can't see us going for Debuchy again. A new CB e.g. Douglas and another striker would be more likely IMO. Remember we still have Simpson and Raylor as back up this season.

good signing anyway.

He's not coming as a left back, man.

That 4-2-1-3 with Cabaye in the hole behind Ba/Cisse/Ben Arfa looks pretty sexy to me. 

exactly what i'm hoping for ... and i reckon that's what Pardew will have told him

wonder where it leaves jonas tho :( I know there'll be plenty of rotation this season but i just find it hard to believe pardew won't include him in the first team 90% of the time

Has anyone started with the paranoia yet?  Tiote or Cabaye must be off etc?

I have to say, it has crossed my mind, but only a very minor worry.  Just think we have signed a DM already, albeit a young un.  Amalfitano can play in the middle, Marv has seemed to play centrally for us a few times.  Abeid is looking decent, Jonas can play there.  Then we have Gosling, Tiote and Cabaye on top of that.

Still, I'm taking the positive way of thinking and saying that signing Big Vurn, is a clear hint that Pards wants to play 4-3-3/4-2-3-1.

good signing anyway.

He's not coming as a left back, man.

By all accounts he isn't much use at leftback either, he's played there for a while, but we've played Simmo at CB, doesn't make him one.

Any signing that keeps us moving away from a flat 4-4-2 is a great thing IMO.

Between Tiote, Cabaye, Anita, Jonas and hopefully Amalfitano we should be able to field a pretty competitive three man midfield, allowing Ben Arfa to play a bit further up.

We've got some exciting things we can do with the current squad, if we can get a RB in and add maybe one more attacking player after that then we'll be right in with a shout of replicating last season's league form.

Prefer a another forward to a CB then?

Yes.

Shola will immediately revert to being shit if we ask him to start games regularly. He's carved out a nice role for himself as a last twenty minutes sub and derby match superstar, but let's not pretend he's anything more.

Ba and Cisse coud potentially be gone to the ACON, and Ba looked knackered for long periods of last season and we've even more games to play this year with qualifying for Europe.

If Pardew does want two strikers on the field, which seems to be the case, then we really need another one.

Obviously a CB is needed too. I believe you can get away with lesser players at CB easier than you can at striker though.

Only problem with all of this 4-3-3 ecstasy is that Pardew pretty much has confirmed he won't be using Demba at LW this season.

Good job we've got Jonas and Marveaux then eh?

Ba doesn't want to play left so he'll probably be playing backup to Cisse or alongside him when we're chasing a game

Guest reefatoon

Has anyone started with the paranoia yet?  Tiote or Cabaye must be off etc?

I have to say, it has crossed my mind, but only a very minor worry.  Just think we have signed a DM already, albeit a young un.  Amalfitano can play in the middle, Marv has seemed to play centrally for us a few times.  Abeid is looking decent, Jonas can play there.  Then we have Gosling, Tiote and Cabaye on top of that.

Still, I'm taking the positive way of thinking and saying that signing Big Vurn, is a clear hint that Pards wants to play 4-3-3/4-2-3-1.

It's not Big Vurn, it's Wee Vurn, he is only about Anita and a half tall

Any signing that keeps us moving away from a flat 4-4-2 is a great thing IMO.

Between Tiote, Cabaye, Anita, Jonas and hopefully Amalfitano we should be able to field a pretty competitive three man midfield, allowing Ben Arfa to play a bit further up.

We've got some exciting things we can do with the current squad, if we can get a RB in and add maybe one more attacking player after that then we'll be right in with a shout of replicating last season's league form.

Prefer a another forward to a CB then?

Yes.

Shola will immediately revert to being s*** if we ask him to start games regularly. He's carved out a nice role for himself as a last twenty minutes sub and derby match superstar, but let's not pretend he's anything more.

Ba and Cisse coud potentially be gone to the ACON, and Ba looked knackered for long periods of last season and we've even more games to play this year with qualifying for Europe.

If Pardew does want two strikers on the field, which seems to be the case, then we really need another one.

Obviously a CB is needed too. I believe you can get away with lesser players at CB easier than you can at striker though.

Agree with that, i mainly asked because it seems quite a divided subject. Quite frankly if we get Anita, Debuchy and a forward or CB then i'll be chuffed to bits to say the very least.

I don't really think two strikers so to say is the main point here. It's the lust for goals and positioning inside the box were looking for. If we've just had one natural striker in the team on matchday we would be putting a few too many eggs in one basket. We need goalscorers on the field and the Senegalese are our safest bet for goals atm. Behind those two there wasn't really that much to talk about. Allthough with Cabaye higher up the pitch we might see more of that lethal right stick of his. HBA might also chip in a few and the terrible lack of goals from our CB's last year... We are in for more goals throughout the squad as a whole so leaving any of the two strikers out for a game, no in my mind.