New TV Deal - £3bn Over 3 Years.

Turnbull2000

Is this deal the reason why clubs such as Reading/ Southampton etc are gambling with big purchases as they don't want to miss out next season (Also maybe a reason why we are offering for De Jong etc) ? Just a thought

Could see a lot of that come jan maybe no so much this window

As a VM custoemr I'm kind of p*ssed they didn't have a good go for some of the rights. I mean if BT can make a bid then surely VM can. It would have given them something to negotiate with Sky over, they can have our VM sports and VM can have Sky Atlantic.

Virgin don't own their TV channels, Sky do. Bought them for £160m 2 years back. Not sure if they would therefore get into bother bidding for the rights through Virgin as technically Sky would once again own all the football.

As a VM custoemr I'm kind of p*ssed they didn't have a good go for some of the rights. I mean if BT can make a bid then surely VM can. It would have given them something to negotiate with Sky over, they can have our VM sports and VM can have Sky Atlantic.

Virgin don't own their TV channels, Sky do. Bought them for £160m 2 years back. Not sure if they would therefore get into bother bidding for the rights through Virgin as technically Sky would once again own all the football.

Yeah but nothing is stopping Virgin from creating more of their own channels. It would have been great for Virgin to have went in for them, that way they have a better bargaining tool with Sky for some of Sky's channels, mainly Sky Atlantic.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier-league/9345501/BBC-were-outbid-for-live-Premier-League-games.html

The Telegraph understands that of terrestrial broadcasters, only Channel 4 did not bid as the rights for three years from 2013 were sold for a record £3.018 billion.

ITV, Channel Five, and the BBC all bid for at least one of the seven packages the Premier League offered but were ultimately outbid by Sky, who won five, and newcomers BT, who won the other two.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier-league/9345501/BBC-were-outbid-for-live-Premier-League-games.html

The Telegraph understands that of terrestrial broadcasters, only Channel 4 did not bid as the rights for three years from 2013 were sold for a record £3.018 billion.

ITV, Channel Five, and the BBC all bid for at least one of the seven packages the Premier League offered but were ultimately outbid by Sky, who won five, and newcomers BT, who won the other two.

I think one package (probably the smallest) should be like the highlights package and set aside for terrestrial broadcasters. It would help break up the Sky monopoly.

Have the smallest package set aside for terrestrial TV and then also make it so at least 2 of the remaining packages are safe from whoever wins the most bids (Sky).

I'd rather just give them to whoever bids the most money (and thus gives us more money), if that means Sky get a monopoly on it, so be it. :dontknow: I'd rather Sky had every single game than the current Sky + a PPV channel (or premium channel, whatever).

I'd rather just give them to whoever bids the most money (and thus gives us more money), if that means Sky get a monopoly on it, so be it. :dontknow: I'd rather Sky had every single game than the current Sky + a PPV channel (or premium channel, whatever).

Really?

If Sky were allowed to have every Premiership match do you honestly think your Sky sports subscription would be under £25 per month? I don't, the only thing stopping Sky from having it at crazy prices is the fact that they don't have all the games and you have to pay for the other provider as well. If you allowed Sky to bid for every package and do it by paying stupid money then that stupid money would be coming out of your's and everyone else's pocket.

I think one package (probably the smallest) should be like the highlights package and set aside for terrestrial broadcasters. It would help break up the Sky monopoly.

Have the smallest package set aside for terrestrial TV and then also make it so at least 2 of the remaining packages are safe from whoever wins the most bids (Sky).

No more than what Sky + BT is going to cost I'd imagine. May as well cut out the middle man for those two extra packages. Even keeping it on ESPN would've been preferable as they've already got other stuff (FA Cup and the UEFA).

Newcastle United – Riches Pour In From Around The World

BY MARK JENSEN ON THURSDAY 28TH JUNE 2012

Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on email Share on print More Sharing Services

Massive amounts of money from every corner of the globe will be flooding into Newcastle United, with Mike Ashley not having to lift a finger.

As most of you will be aware, the domestic rights to show the Premier League on TV for 2013-2016 have just been agreed, with SKY and BT agreeing to pay over £3Billion for the three year deal.

However, on top of that the deals to show English Premier League football around the world are due to be announced in the coming months.

In the current deal (2010-13) the Premier League clubs have made £1.437billion over the three years.

Amongst the various deals which made up that near one and a half billion were £190m for rights in Singapore, £225m from the Middle East and £146m in Hong Kong. While £111m came in from Scandinavia, the remainder coming from numerous smaller agreements, a total of 81 separate deals.

It is virtually certain that there will be decent overall growth from the £1.437bn overseas total for 2013-16, and the Premier League expects to know that total by the end of October 2012; it continues to negotiate contracts around the world.

As an illustration of the amounts involved club by club, even if there is no rise in the amount the overseas deals bring in (highly unlikely!) then Manchester City’s income (via the TV deals) for winning the league would increase from £60.6m to around £90m if they won the league again in 2013-14 when the new deals kick in.

Heading nineteen places down the league, Wolves ‘earned’ £39m by finishing bottom this season and again, if overseas money didn’t increase, that would become £53.3m for the bottom club in 2013-14.

If overseas income jumps 50%, then the Premier League winners in 2013-14 would pick up £99.3m, or if it jumps by the same 70% that domestic income has jumped, then it goes to £103m.

If it doubles, the Premier League winners of 2013-14 can expect around £109m from finishing top while the bottom club might expect some £72m, or £12m more than the highest club in 2011-12.

In the first overseas deals already signed for 2013-16, Scandinavia will pay the League around double what they earned last time, helped also by the fact they have dealt direct with the broadcasters rather than using a middle man as previously.

The bottom line is that for clubs like Newcastle United and of course Mike Ashley, the riches will continue to flood in from every part of the world, the big question then is what the clubs and in our particular case, Mike Ashley, does with the money.

There is clearly the potential for the owner to take the instant benefit as cash, or take the long-term view of making Newcastle United an even more attractive future buy. (Read more on the excellent www.sportingintelligence.com )

http://www.themag.co.uk/tyne-talk/newcastle-united-riches-pour-in-from-around-the-world/

Oh, a massive cash injection into the club, you say? Well Mike, now we don't have to generate extra revenue via renaming the stadium! You can take all that silly billy Sports Direct writing down now and call it St. James' Park again :)

I saw Dave posting in a thread called "New TV Deal..." and wondered why he wasn't posting the hotukdeals link in the Potential Materialism thread.

I thought it was going to be a really great deal if he was posting it in the Football section :okay:

If Gary leaves, can see Gabby stepping up.

(Otherwise there's Manish/Colin Murray...).

it better be Gabby because the thought of Colin Murray hosting MOTD proper is not a pleasant one.

MOTD needs a major shakeup anyway, need to move on the old boys now because its analysis quality has dropped dramatically

If Gary leaves, can see Gabby stepping up.

(Otherwise there's Manish/Colin Murray...).

That would truly be 'Snatch of the Day'

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-kOH8L9wX92M/T-OIwGdoEjI/AAAAAAAAMIU/lk-RSERuvGc/s1600/21-if-you-know-what-i-mean.png

Sky put up the price for their sports package??

Who would have thought eh  :lol:

How much has it gone up Gimp?

Looking at the bbc site, the sky sports package is going up from 35 to 38 quid a month.

Defo not paying nearly 40 quid a month.