Douglas

BONTEMPI

I think we were already worse than Spurs, Chelsea, Arsenal and even Liverpool (at least in theory) last year. We had a great season, that's all. This year we've certainly improved in quality (Marveaux and Saylor above all), but I don't know what's our real value and if last year we overachieved more than we think.

I hope I'm wrong (on the other hand it's not optimism what I'm famous for  :lol: ), but I wouldn't be talking about 4th spot, that's definitely out of reach for us now.

Krul, Saylor, Colo, Santon, Tiote, Anita, Cabaye, Jonas, Ben Arfa, Marveaux, Cisse,  Ba

Are all top quality/definitely have the potenital to be if you ask me. We have a lot of good back up players and a fair few good youngster too.

If we did (unlikely I know) add Debuchy, Douglas and a forward (Carroll will do) our squad is well up there.

Say our squad and back up is -

Harper/Elliott

Krul

Simpson      Williamson    Saylor    Perch

Debuchy      Douglas        Colo      Santon

Amalfitano      Anita      Gosling        Jonas

Ben Arfa          Tiote    Cabaye    Marveaux

Shola        Ba

Carroll      Cisse

With Ferguson, Abeid, Sammy, Vuckic, Good, Tavernier, Bigi and Campbell (yeah, I know :lol: ) as the youngsters ready to step in.

I think we were already worse than Spurs, Chelsea, Arsenal and even Liverpool (at least in theory) last year. We had a great season, that's all. This year we've certainly improved in quality (Marveaux and Saylor above all), but I don't know what's our real value and if last year we overachieved more than we think.

I hope I'm wrong (on the other hand it's not optimism what I'm famous for  :lol: ), but I wouldn't be talking about 4th spot, that's definitely out of reach for us now.

4th is a legitimate target. We qualifyied for Euro last year with what looked like a rickety squad and playing Williamson for a long period. If there was ever a time to get back on the positive train it would be now imho.

Can't believe what I'm reading (from albeit a small minority). While fourth should be a legitimate target given our squad and performance last term, a handful of other sides will also be thinking along similar lines and it will take a monumental effort to finish in the CL spots after 38 games. Furthermore the willingness to berate the transfer strategy that has been the cornerstone of our relative success (without full knowledge of the facts) due to missing out on a talented but untested centre back is ludicrous.

If the speculation is proved correct and he joins Fulham, fair play. They've got the pull factor of being based in London and a successful Dutch manager who is putting together a tidy little team. A small squad and a perpetually dreadful away records means they probably aren't properly equipped to challange for the Champions Leage spots but they could easily be looking to pick off any of last seasons top seven stragglers, which could easily turn out be ourselves. In that respect it would be little disappointing to lose out but it's hardly decisive, you can't win them all.

Can't believe what I'm reading (from albeit a small minority). While fourth should be a legitimate target given our squad and performance last term, a handful of other sides will also be thinking along similar lines and it will take a monumental effort to finish in the CL spots after 38 games. Furthermore the willingness to berate the transfer strategy that has been the cornerstone of our relative success (without full knowledge of the facts) due to missing out on a talented but untested centre back is ludicrous.

If the speculation is proved correct and he joins Fulham, fair play. They've got the pull factor of being based in London and a successful Dutch manager who is putting together a tidy little team. A small squad and a perpetually dreadful away records means they probably aren't properly equipped to challange for the Champions Leage spots but they could easily be looking to pick off any of last seasons top seven stragglers, which could easily turn out be ourselves. In that respect it would be little disappointing to lose out but it's hardly decisive, you can't win them all.

CD's always have a nightmare first season in the PL anyway. ;)

Don't buy the draw of London thing tbh, maybe having lived near London all my life I have just got used to it but it's not special in any way. Much prefer cities like Newcastle and even the missus's blue pop, wheys keys, cheesy chips loving family love Newcastle. I have no affinity to Newcastle apart from following the football team for a good number of years but it's a special place to go (probably more special to those who don't see it every day) and as soon as you hit that bridge you really feel something right up to when you are coming back across it.

Basically London is overrated.

Edit: actually Gateshead and the Angel of the North is probably where the tingles start.

Don't buy the draw of London thing tbh, maybe having lived near London all my life I have just got used to it but it's not special in any way. Much prefer cities like Newcastle and even the missus's blue pop, wheys keys, cheesy chips loving family love Newcastle. I have no affinity to Newcastle apart from following the football team for a good number of years but it's a special place to go (probably more special to those who don't see it every day) and as soon as you hit that bridge you really feel something right up to when you are coming back across it.

Edit: actually Gateshead and the Angel of the North is probably where the tingles start.

London is a total nightmare these days.

Guest bimpy474

Top 8 should be our aim, any higher would constitute a very good season.

:best:

:serious:

I mean 8th as average/minimum. Then push on just like last year, placed better around Feb, thats when you go for it just like we did winning 7 or so on the trot to finish 5th.

Guest ItalianMagpie

Well I didn't say we're crap  :lol:

Still, there were quite a few games last year we deserved to draw or even to lose and we somehow ended up winning (as the likes of last Saturday's game: lucky first half, somehow we didn't concede and we ended up winning), and a bit too many games where we were just hammered. We got a lot of points here and there but we rarely played really well (with some exceptions of course). We're not the kind of team that often play great football and when they don't win it's because of bad luck; we often have games where either team can grab the win, and last season most of the times it was us. Will we do that again? Or we're gonna pay the bill?

Moreover, I think that our first 11 are top quality, and could maybe have a shot at the 4th spot, with a bit of luck and improving the quality of the game. But unfortunately we need more than 11 players, and our bench has good elements, but it's not good enough for that target atm.

Went to Southend last weekend and realised I don't like Londoners. Been a little offended when reading numerous (Londoners are rude!!) comments other the years given I have been branded a 'cockney' but this weekend really hit home that 40 miles away from the most Northern part really makes a massive difference to the people that surround me :lol:

Londoners are far too brash, aggressive and just plain common (and I come from a really rough background) for my liking.

Well I didn't say we're crap  :lol:

Still, there were quite a few games last year we deserved to draw or even to lose and we somehow ended up winning (as the likes of last Saturday's game: lucky first half, somehow we didn't concede and we ended up winning), and a bit too many games where we were just hammered. We got a lot of points here and there but we rarely played really well (with some exceptions of course). We're not the kind of team that often play great football and when they don't win it's because of bad luck; we often have games where either team can grab the win, and last season most of the times it was us. Will we do that again? Or we're gonna pay the bill?

Moreover, I think that our first 11 are top quality, and could maybe have a shot at the 4th spot, with a bit of luck and improving the quality of the game. But unfortunately we need more than 11 players, and our bench has good elements, but it's not good enough for that target atm.

I bet most fans probably think they were lucky to win/draw a number of games through a season. Isn't the old cliche something like a true sign of a champion is winning ugly or some shit like that. We have a good number of players who can win a game from nothing hence (like last weekend) we managed to take all 3 points. Two moments of brilliance will often get you the points.

London's brilliant, can't see me possibly moving back to Newcastle until I've made the most of living down here and get a bit too old for it.  Don't think I'd want to bring up kids down here and will never afford a house but I think I'd get pretty bored pretty quickly if I moved up any time soon, plus there are the job prospects or lack of them.

As for footballers it depends on the personality.  Career comes first but all things being equal on that score it depends what they want from life.  Any player who picks a small club in London over a big club in the north probably needs to give their head a shake though.

Guest bimpy474

Went to Southend last weekend and realised I don't like Londoners. Been a little offended when reading numerous (Londoners are rude!!) comments other the years given I have been branded a 'cockney' but this weekend really hit home that 40 miles away from the most Northern part really makes a massive difference to the people that surround me :lol:

Londoners are far too brash, aggressive and just plain common (and I come from a really rough background) for my liking.

Southend eh ?

Tell me more, born and raised in Southend upon Turd. Hate the place but family ties and all that.

London's brilliant, can't see me possibly moving back to Newcastle until I've made the most of living down here and get a bit too old for it.  Don't think I'd want to bring up kids down here and will never afford a house but I think I'd get pretty bored pretty quickly if I moved up any time soon, plus there are the job prospects or lack of them.

As for footballers it depends on the personality.  Career comes first but all things being equal on that score it depends what they want from life.  Any player who picks a small club in London over a big club in the north probably needs to give their head a shake though.

:thup:

You will know more than me but if you can't have an amazing life in city like Newcastle earning £40k a week you are fucking lucking to earn as much as you do. It's a fantastic city and I really like the closeness of it all compared to London.

There are a few cities in Newcastle where you really wouldn't want to live but Newcastle definitely isn't one, just asked the Sunderland players :yao:

Southend eh ?

Tell me more, born and raised in Southend upon Turd. Hate the place but family ties and all that.

Was just horrific (no offence to the family), tbf other tourist were probably the blame a lot of the times but it really didn't seem friendly or a seaside type of place.

Ignoring the gay jokes etc..  but Brighton is infinitely more chilled out and friendly. Southend just seemed like aggressive/prove yourself on Sea. One example so many people walking around with no tops on and most of them really should have kept them on, I would even felt comfortable strutting about with my muffin top on show :lol:

Guest bimpy474

Southend eh ?

Was just horrific (no offence to the family), tbf other tourist were probably the blame a lot of the times but it really didn't seem friendly or a seaside type of place.

Ignoring the gay jokes etc..  but Brighton is infinitely more chilled out and friendly. Southend just seemed like aggressive/prove yourself on Sea. One example so many people walking around with no tops on and most of them really should have kept them on, I would even felt comfortable strutting about with my muffin top on show :lol:

You got it spot on mate. Its i'm a hardman central, not that many of them are. Stella pints or Bud bottle drinking pillocks.

As horrible as this sounds, when my Mum pops her clogs i'm off, taken to jumping out on her shouting boo, no luck so far ;D

Spent half my adult life in London, and only recently stopped keeping a place there. I don't live there anymore for a bunch of reasons, and I don't really like it these days, but it's an incredible place, really. And if you've got loads of money, most of its everyday problems immediately recede into the distance and you can have a fine time. Plenty to spend your money on. Plenty of facilities to cater for rich, young bastards. Also, it's incredibly cosmopolitan. All human life is there. If you're a foreigner coming to play in England for the first time, it's the place where you'll mostly likely find some of your compatriots, and some of the comforts of home. And travelling from there back to wherever you came from, just for a weekend or whatever, is most often easier than it would be from some other place. I can see why a footballer might prefer it over Newcastle.

Southend eh ?

You got it spot on mate. Its i'm a hardman central, not that many of them are. Stella pints or Bud bottle drinking pillocks.

As horrible as this sounds, when my Mum pops her clogs i'm off, taken to jumping out on her shouting boo, no luck so far ;D

Just reminded me, so many people walking down the road with pint glasses in their hand at 3pm like this is a normal thing (again, no tops on).

Guest bimpy474

Southend eh ?

Just reminded me, so many people walking down the road with pint glasses in their hand at 3pm like this is a normal thing (again, no tops on).

I'm glad to say i'm not and have never been one of them. Mind you like all places there are few nice pubs and restaurants, but most of those are on the outskirts/small towns and well away from the Southend town centre. As for the seafront pahahahahahahaha ;D

4th is a legitimate target. We qualifyied for Euro last year with what looked like a rickety squad and playing Williamson for a long period. If there was ever a time to get back on the positive train it would be now imho.

Well said, Parky. Three of the teams mentioned have made questionable managerial appointments and the other has just been raided for the equivalent of Cisse and Cabaye. I wouldn't worry about Liverpool unless they get Dempsey AND another finisher.

Ultimately the table doesn't lie. We finished above Chelsea because we were good enough to do so. That's if beating them away wasn't proof enough. :azn:

Well there's some people here that've lived in London and didn't like it, think it's a shithole etc and they're probably right. But Douglas doesn't know that yet, he'll see London like most outsiders do and the Olympics only enhanced that. It would be foolish to suggest that London isn't a factor for overseas players. It doesn't matter what the reality is, his perception of the place might be what gets him at Fulham.

PS/ gan in for him, Mike/Dezza!