Official: Daniel Sturridge is injured

TRC

Can't believe people are actually turning their noses up at Sturridge in our position. :lol:

No one's turning their nose up. What use is he however if he were to make about 3 appearances for us and spend the rest of the time injured?

If those 3 appearances are wins for us then every use.

Don't get me wrong, a fit Sturridge would instantly be our best player so I'm all for it (bling and swag and stupid dance aside).

Even a half fit and barely motivated Daniel Sturridge would be our best striker by some distance - hope this comes off.

Would be fkn buzzing if we got him... right up until the point his legs fall off halfway through his debut.

:lol: Mentally I'm prepared for a Stephen Ireland-esque loan spell. Abs selfie in the nightclub. 2 games, 45 minutes. Injury. Goes home.

Anything above and beyond that is a bonus.

November's not THAT long ago.

December. Played 18 minutes v Spartak Moscow in the CL according to that.

:thup: Just thinking in terms of starts/proper game time and the 27th November match against Chelsea.

I like to think of him as 'fully rested'.

Can't believe people are actually turning their noses up at Sturridge in our position. :lol:

No one's turning their nose up. What use is he however if he were to make about 3 appearances for us and spend the rest of the time injured?

If those 3 appearances are wins for us then every use.

Don't get me wrong, a fit Sturridge would instantly be our best player so I'm all for it (bling and swag and stupid dance aside).

Even if he only plays half the games we have left the difference it will make to other teams trying to defend against us and the fact he can actually shoot could be a huge difference to us staying up or going down.

He could knack himself in the first game but we have to gamble now, West Brom or West ham would have gambled and no doubt he would score 10 goals for them. It's more exciting than a striker from dutchy land that may score less than Joselu.

I'll be happy if he comes and scores enough to keep us up, but this is the club doing the absolute bare minimum, yet again.

True, but him, Kenedy and a keeper may be the repairs we need to limp over the line, which is ultimately all that will happen. Making more changes may have caused issues within the team.

PREMIER LEAGUE

Daniel Sturridge close to loan switch from Liverpool to Newcastle United

new

George Caulkin, Paul Joyce

January 29 2018, 12:00pm,

The Times

Football

Sturridge has fallen down the pecking order at Liverpool after a succession of injuries

Newcastle United are hoping to complete a deal to sign Daniel Sturridge on loan for the remainder of the season as Rafa Benítez counts on the striker’s scoring pedigree to keep the club in the Premier League.

The final details on a temporary switch from Liverpool are in the process of being thrashed out with Sturridge increasingly minded to stay in England as he looks to reignite his stalled career. Newcastle will have to pay a loan fee of about £1.5 million and cover the player’s wages of about £120,000-a-week for the remainder of the season.

Sturridge had the chance to move to Inter Milan after the Italians struck an agreement with Liverpool, but the 28-year-old’s delay in taking up that option indicated a preference to go elsewhere. He had hoped Seville would firm up their interest in him by delivering an acceptable offer, yet the Spaniards have fallen short.

Newcastle’s hopes of an impending agreement would see them outmanoeuvre the likes of West Bromwich Albion and West Ham United, who are also keen on the player, and he would be a welcome addition of firepower to a side that have scored just 22 goals in 24 league games this season. Joselu and Dwight Gayle, Benítez’s first-choice forwards, have scored seven goals between them in the Premier League.

Benítez has turned to Sturridge after Newcastle failed to meet Feyenoord’s £20 million valuation for Nicolai Jorgensen, the Denmark international. It is understood that Newcastle submitted bids of £13 million and £15 million for the 27-year-old forward, but moved on when the Dutch club refused to lower their price.

The key will be how quickly Sturridge can rediscover his swagger and whether he then stays fit for the remaining 14 games of the campaign. His priority will be steering Newcastle, who are a point above the bottom three, to safety with re-establishing himself in the England squad only likely to follow if he scores goals. Benítez is hopeful that the carrot of a World Cup place will provide the kickstart which Sturridge needs, benefiting Newcastle in the process.

Sturridge’s last appearance came on December 6 when he featured for 18 minutes of Liverpool’s 7-0 Champions League victory over Spartak Moscow. He has made just five starts, scoring three goals, as the likes of Roberto Firmino, Mohamed Salah, Sadio Mané and Philippe Coutinho prior to his departure took precedence.

Jürgen Klopp, the Liverpool manager, left Sturridge out of his matchday squad for Saturday’s FA Cup defeat by West Brom aware that the player’s future lay elsewhere after he asked to leave in search of a regular starting role.

Newcastle would be unable to make any more loan signings before Wednesday’s deadline after filling their Premier League quota, having already signed Kenedy, the winger, from Chelsea. They are still in the market for a goalkeeper and have been monitoring Martin Dubravka of Sparta Prague and Slovakia.

Benítez was given the go-ahead by Mike Ashley, Newcastle’s owner, to bring in three new players during a conference call earlier this month and Sturridge’s arrival would bring some optimism to an increasingly frustrated fan base that relegation can be avoided.

One of the rare times we make a sensible move. Possibly the biggest since getting Rafa himself.

Depending on the shape Sturridge is in, it mightn't work out, but all the pieces are there. Great manager, player with proven ability in this league, player who should be massively motivated with his last chance to play at the WC and to rejuvenate his career. Thumbs up from me.

It'll be a joy just to see a striker put his foot through it. It's not something we've seen for a while.

Guest firetotheworks

Not to be all Please Sir, Can I Have Some More? after so many years of Ashley's generosity, but I'd probably want another striker as well as Sturridge, like. [emoji38] Just purely based on injuries.

Injuries or not, if he can turn out for even half of our games left, that would probably save us. Massive gamble, but which striker wouldn't be at this stage? At least we know if he plays, he will score goals.

He's a talented player for sure, but not as good as he thinks he is, which I think can create problems for his team mates. He also has the reputation of being very self-protective when it comes to assessing his own fitness.

All of which explains why he may be coming to us instead of banging in the goals for Man City, Chelsea or Liverpool.

I just hope he comes with the attitude of wanting to prove himself, rather than thinking what a great honour it is for us to watch him in action.