Things you used to get wrong about football when you were little

Pilko

I reckon it was about half a season watching football Italia on 4 before I was fully aware we had a team. Lifesize Marco v.Basten poster on the wall :thup:

I used to think they shouted 'goooooal Lazio' at the start of that show and thought it was unfair to the other teams.

I really thought Titus Bramble was going to be amazing, he probably is the most exciting signing (for me) that we have ever made.

Got exceptionally excited over him for some reason and read the teletext page on his signing over and over again :lol:  :blush:

Oh, and my dad sometimes used to listen to the match on his hi-fi with a massive pair of headphones. I'd always ask to listen for a few minutes (which I now appreciate must have been really irritating for him) and I'd always think that if I shouted into the headphones something like 'Howay Newcastle we want to see a performance out of ya!' or whatever that the commentators could hear me. :lol:

:lol:

I really thought Titus Bramble was going to be amazing, he probably is the most exciting signing (for me) that we have ever made.

Got exceptionally excited over him for some reason and read the teletext page on his signing over and over again :lol:  :blush:

CAN. NOT. UNSEE  :kasper:

I lived in Australia for four years as a kid in the sixties. We used to play football, but were very confused about the rules, and some of them got drafted in from Rugby and Aussie Rules Football.

Throw-ins were taken with one's back to the pitch and the ball hoisted overhead. The 'goal' consisted of the entire length of the goal-line. Free kicks were punted from hand, and a goal didn't count if the keeper touched it on its way in.

when i was really little i thought it was a seventy final not a semi final....seventy teams on one pitch like world cup singles and I thought QPR played on rye hill as the front cover of my all stars football annual 1974 had a pick of a game between QPR and Hull where the houses in the background looked the spit of those between rye hill and scotchy road.

Guest BooBoo

First time my Grandad took me to SJP I asked him why I couldn't hear the commentary like on TV. I assumed it came through the tannoy. :lol:

:papiss:

Guest salmon

In junior school I went to the trials for the school team. About 30 seconds into the game, I was to take a throw pretty much in line with our 6 yard box. I thought you could run with the ball up the sideline to their goal and then throw it in. I got some weird looks.  :whatdidido: