Alan Pardew

Dave

That little interview on Match of the Day really fucked me off.

"We didn't have Cisse, we didn't know til late, big blow for us"

1) he's been shit anyway all fucking season - and you'd STILL have played the fucker

2) If there was a reasonable chance of Cisse NOT playing then why not focus on the alternative instead of just hoping?

3) casually ignores the piss poor performance and second home defeat to a no-mark side

4) we'd have still lost with Cisse in the team

They cut loads out from his interview to be fair. Full interview is on the bbc site. Although he does go on to compare Cisse missing to being like liverpool missing suarez which with the way Cisse has been playing is a load of crap.

I think i'm just pissed off about the loss so think i'm guna lay off pardew for now. But today's performance after the goal especially has left a very sour taste. 

Just absolutely astonishing that he spoke about struggling with a midfield two in midweek then played it again, and against a side that pass it so well amongst the three.

It's both bizarre and idiotic to recognise a problem then repeat the same mistakes.

classic football dilemma, there's no doubt in my mind he won't turn this around in the way it needs to...he might get us more solid again and nick some away points, scrape some 1-0's at home and gain a bit of momentum but ultimately we'll end up back here again some time in the near future, i'm 100% convinced of it

so do we want him to recapture some short-term success using his only gameplan or things to get worse?  fuckin rubbish, we always end up here somehow...same as the mackems with bruce really, they were aware of the inevitable but clearly didn't want their team to lose the games that would make it happen, neither do i really

one thing that i can't understand is if he's so focused on keeping it tight why the fuck is he persevering with 4-4-2 when it's not creating chances and not stopping the either team scoring?  he'd be better going one up top and packing the midfield to frustrate the other team then try to get HBA and one other breaking to support the striker....as it is we're not even solid, teams just waltz through us at will when we lose the ball

someone nailed it before, management goal is to finish top half...we'd have to be in the bottom 3 in the new year for ashley to do anything about it and just looking we're 5 points off 18th now

anyone honestly see where the next points are coming from?  me either

It really seems Pardew has subscribed to the belief that defensive players need coaching while attacking players and their 'flair' will take care of themselves. It's bad enough when people think that for amateur sides but to be at the top echelons of the professional game and be implementing that... it's mind boggling. I found it hard to believe at first but the quotes seem to be mounting up... It's an easy beleif to come to - to some degree players like Messi do just take care of themselves but thats simply because theyre better than the rest, they still need to fit in with an attacking game plan for a team to reach its full potential - and to think that our attacking players don't need guidance  :idiot2:

We knew last season was a miracle to some extent, but in sight of this it was a big fucking miracle. For Pardew it must be confusing trying to work out what isn't working this season when he's dealing out the same medicine  :lol: What really worries me is even the defensive side of things which he's clearly really focusing on isn't yielding results. Unless he has a change of beliefs last season represents the complete peak of what we can achieve. I think if he stays, which he will, things will pick up to some extent - but that will just be the result of unguided equilibrium on the playing group. With good management we should be challenging at the other end of the table - I increasingly doubt Pardew understands what that takes let alone has the ability to provide it - 1 in 10 season miracles aside.

Pardew is not going to change now - he has always started well at his clubs and then tailed off and this is no different.

I am not inclined to blame Carver(although he may end up being the fall guy for what is happening now)because we didn't play this way when Carver was coach under SBR. The tactics are the manager's and clearly the players, or those who CAN play, are not happy with them now. Besides all that, there seems to be an undercurrent of bad feeling around the club and many players are not doing their best.

There is little point in trying to put forward suggestions as to how all this can be solved because the club as a whole, and the manager in particular, are not really concerned about what the fans think - only a fall off in attendances will force them to face the issues and that isn't going to happen just yet although another home defeat may start that process rolling. Pardew has got by up to now on the goodwill created by last season's finish and the fact that many fans believe Ashley is partly to blame by his parsimonious transfer policies, but the fans' patience will be running short now. We should be beating teams like Swansea at SJP and the fact that we look so bad against these sides is ominous - using Europe as an excuse doesn't wash either, we have had European campaigns since the club first qualified in 1968 and the only season where we did as badly in the league was 77/78 after Dinnis was appointed and we got relegated....we won the trophy in 1969 after being written off by all the so-called experts and still finished in a respectable league position too after Joe Harvey was obliged to use quite a few youngsters like Foggon and Dyson in both league and Europe.

Unless the club end up in the bottom 4 at the turn of the year, Pardew won't be in danger of the sack and as most people are aware, he suits the people running the club and they suit him....he will continue mouthing the usual platitudes and excuses and the 'board' will be happy to hide behind them unless things start to look really serious - they, like us, now know that better managers will not be falling over themselves to work at SJP under their regime and by better managers I mean better than Pardew.

I was quite prepared to give Pardew the benefit of any doubts I had when he joined the club but I've made my mind up about him now and its a thumbs down where long term success/improvement is cconcerned. We had a great season last year, but its over now and football is all about consistency...WBA are this season's NUFC up to now and if we continue to struggle and play badly, the rest of the PL will soon forget what we did last season.

Unless they CAN get a better manager there will be no change - and there would be no point in that anyway.

Its going to be a long, grinding season......

Martinez would be a dream, his Wigan team are really shaping up.

He'd be a great match for the players we have. Unfortunately, there's no chance of this happening.

The thing is you don't know how certain players would react.  Take Ben Arfa for example, he may dislike someone like Martinez if he came in.

That doesn't matter a toss - as long as Martinez, or anyone else, gets the team AS A WHOLE playing well, he can upset who he likes...club is bigger than 1 player...

IMO West Brom play far more attractive football this season, than we did last. Pards got results through individual brilliance, bar a couple of games. West Brom play with a clear team footballing philosophy. I know which way I'd rather see the team play.

Guest Dontooner

classic football dilemma, there's no doubt in my mind he won't turn this around in the way it needs to...he might get us more solid again and nick some away points, scrape some 1-0's at home and gain a bit of momentum but ultimately we'll end up back here again some time in the near future, i'm 100% convinced of it

so do we want him to recapture some short-term success using his only gameplan or things to get worse?  fuckin rubbish, we always end up here somehow...same as the mackems with bruce really, they were aware of the inevitable but clearly didn't want their team to lose the games that would make it happen, neither do i really

one thing that i can't understand is if he's so focused on keeping it tight why the f*** is he persevering with 4-4-2 when it's not creating chances and not stopping the either team scoring?  he'd be better going one up top and packing the midfield to frustrate the other team then try to get HBA and one other breaking to support the striker....as it is we're not even solid, teams just waltz through us at will when we lose the ball

someone nailed it before, management goal is to finish top half...we'd have to be in the bottom 3 in the new year for ashley to do anything about it and just looking we're 5 points off 18th now

anyone honestly see where the next points are coming from?  me either

Good post of returning to square one...depressing tbh

the abuse on here is so OTT :lol:

all the going on about how he plays a 4-4-2 all the time and how dreadfull it is. did everyone just ignore the whole 45 mins we spend playing with Sammy, Shane and Anita behind Ba? or the fact for the brief moment when we played 4-4-2 in the second half before we were one goal down we actually played some of the best and most fluid football this season?

massive problem for me is, like Pardew said, is at the back, we dont look like the solid unit we did last year and its hard to build a decent attack when you can't trust the people behind you if it goes wrong.

Williamson is so painfully out of his depth at this level it's not even funny. And this is what annoys me about Pardew, he's constantly banging on about what a strong squad/team we have when its plain to see all the glaring weaknesses we have ffs.

I'm not nearly as pessimistic about Pardew as many on here and I think we have to step back and take a look at the bigger picture. Look where we were and where we've got too. Last season was fantastic but we over achieved really and this season is a bit of a reality check.

My biggest worry with Pardew currently is he doesn't look like he knows how to change or freshen things up. We're totally flat and devoid of ideas.

The real litmus test for me is this Jan and next summer regarding player recruitment. If we don't bring anyone in in January and we have another summer like last summer then I'm afraid I'll quickly lose interest as it'll be obvious that the board have zero intention of pushing us forward and Pardews patter won't change my mind over any of that.

To start with my memory is pretty poor and i`m not going on a stat hunt. For me I can`t sit here and blame Pardew. This season has been completely different to last and I can`t link it to Pardew.

Goalkeepers - We have had Krul in and out. An individual error cost us 1 goal today and he hasn`t really been superman this year like last.

Defence - We havn`t had the same back 4 all season, Colo has been injured, banned in and out of the side. Willi has got worse if that is possible he should have followed in and cleared Kruls save today but just stood and watched and  Taylor still looks like he has a way to go to get to his usual self. Simpson has been in and out and getting worse.

Midfield - Tiote has been in and out with injuries and Bans.  Cabaye has looked tired all season. Jonas is getting slow and old. Gosling injured. Anita hasn`t lived up to expectations.

Attack - Ba has been good but missed a few today he usually would have put away. Cisse has been replaced by a poor clone of his former self. Ashley should have spent money on another forward or replace Jonas/Ba on the left.

He's fucking lost it, he seems to blame everything but his own shitty tactics and formation. He also won't dump Williamson n Simpson which needs to happen asap. The stupid long balls were played time and time again yesterday and kruls kicking is terrible. We looked like a relegation team the last 2 games

all the going on about how he plays a 4-4-2 all the time and how dreadfull it is. did everyone just ignore the whole 45 mins we spend playing with Sammy, Shane and Anita behind Ba? or the fact for the brief moment when we played 4-4-2 in the second half before we were one goal down we actually played some of the best and most fluid football this season?

massive problem for me is, like Pardew said, is at the back, we dont look like the solid unit we did last year and its hard to build a decent attack when you can't trust the people behind you if it goes wrong.

There's very little abuse, most people are just commenting on what they're seeing. There's a few reasons it's hard to build a decent attack, our defence is pretty low on the list.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Combination of

Poor transfer dealings

Out of form players

Piss poor tactics

Pardew to blame for at least 2 of them

To start with my memory is pretty poor and i`m not going on a stat hunt. For me I can`t sit here and blame Pardew. This season has been completely different to last and I can`t link it to Pardew.

Goalkeepers - We have had Krul in and out. An individual error cost us 1 goal today and he hasn`t really been superman this year like last.

Defence - We havn`t had the same back 4 all season, Colo has been injured, banned in and out of the side. Willi has got worse if that is possible he should have followed in and cleared Kruls save today but just stood and watched and  Taylor still looks like he has a way to go to get to his usual self. Simpson has been in and out and getting worse.

Midfield - Tiote has been in and out with injuries and Bans.  Cabaye has looked tired all season. Jonas is getting slow and old. Gosling injured. Anita hasn`t lived up to expectations.

Attack - Ba has been good but missed a few today he usually would have put away. Cisse has been replaced by a poor clone of his former self. Ashley should have spent money on another forward or replace Jonas/Ba on the left.

Probably it is Pardew's fault for not sending an ultimatum to Ashley for not giving him money to spend. Pardew out!

with cabaye possibly need surgey, needs some imaginative thinking from pards - ben arfa centrally? would go full strength against maritimo and hopefully gets some confidence built up.

Then who play on the right? Obertan?

Did he shite not play 4-4-2 in the first half, where the hell does HBA fit into the formation you've just said? Defensive mid? It was an attempt at a diamond but we still had 2 strikers. It was OK but once again glaringly obvious that we really missed a presence in midfield, they were very comfortable.