Alan Pardew

Dave

I agree with Dave to an extent, partially because all of Pardew's bluster about loving the FA Cup for three years in a row has lead to a pathetic limp performance away to a lower league side and an early exit and I think it's just a front to deflect criticism onto the players when we do go out.

The point about Moyes is a great one

It's an awful point and I'm sick of reading it. There's ONE example of that working.

I don't have the time right now to go trawling for examples but are you suggesting that David Moyes is the only example of a club being rewarded for sticking with a manager through difficult times? Because it looks like that's what you're suggesting.

It's the only example I keep reading all season. I'll balance it out with George Burley.

How did he forfeit the cup? He fielded arguably the strongest side he could and sent them out to play the style of football we've played most of the season.

Brighton, like every other team we've played away from home this season, were just better.

Do you think for a minute Colo and Cisse were actually injured?

I don't know, and neither do you. I don't quite think resting 2 players is throwing away the cup though even if they were.

I can understand the thought process of not wanting to play a full strength side (again we pretty much put out what we could) but I still don't think he sent them out with the intention of getting beat and extending our shit run of form.

Obviously I don't believe he sent them out to lose, that would be ridiculous. But considering the lack of impetus and urgency even from such a youthful side surely happy to get a chance, I would be stunned if the overriding instruction wasn't just to avoid injury. Pardew ignoring the fans at the full time whistle was the confirmation for me, he couldn't bear to face them IMO.

Well he did admit to his game plan being "wait until 70 minutes and then Marv will come on and win the game" so there's probably something in that.

It's an awful point and I'm sick of reading it. There's ONE example of that working.

I don't have the time right now to go trawling for examples but are you suggesting that David Moyes is the only example of a club being rewarded for sticking with a manager through difficult times? Because it looks like that's what you're suggesting.

There's as many examples (probably more) of clubs being damaged by sticking with the wrong man for too long.  The key factor isn't the amount of time given to the manager, it's the manager's ability.

Are you really suggesting that chopping and changing managers leads to more success? There are truckloads of examples across all sports that prove the exact opposite.

It's not done this way, but changing managers should be a last resort when you're absolutely sure he's what's holding the team back AND there's a replacement you believe can take the team forward.

I'm speaking in general terms here as I'm on the fence about Pardew at the moment. Better the devil you know for the time being.

How did he forfeit the cup? He fielded arguably the strongest side he could and sent them out to play the style of football we've played most of the season.

Brighton, like every other team we've played away from home this season, were just better.

I don't know, and neither do you. I don't quite think resting 2 players is throwing away the cup though even if they were.

I can understand the thought process of not wanting to play a full strength side (again we pretty much put out what we could) but I still don't think he sent them out with the intention of getting beat and extending our shit run of form.

Obviously I don't believe he sent them out to lose, that would be ridiculous. But considering the lack of impetus and urgency even from such a youthful side surely happy to get a chance, I would be stunned if the overriding instruction wasn't just to avoid injury. Pardew ignoring the fans at the full time whistle was the confirmation for me, he couldn't bear to face them IMO.

Well he did admit to his game plan being "wait until 70 minutes and then Marv will come on and win the game" so there's probably something in that.

Sadly I'm struggling to hold it against him too much, we're in deep shit in the league and need every advantage we can get. We've already seen with the Europa League how things go to shit with only a few days between matches. It probably shouldn't be the case, but apparently it is. If we were due to play Man Utd, Man City and Chelsea then perhaps he wouldn't have rested Colo/Cisse/Marv. In reality our upcoming games are far too important.

Are you really suggesting that chopping and changing managers leads to more success? There are truckloads of examples across all sports that prove the exact opposite.

It's not done this way, but changing managers should be a last resort when you're absolutely sure he's what's holding the team back AND there's a replacement you believe can take the team forward.

I'm speaking in general terms here as I'm on the fence about Pardew at the moment. Better the devil you know for the time being.

Obviously not. I'm saying there's one example of sticking with a manager that gets trotted out to defend Pardew. Moyes surviving a 7th to 17th finish doesn't mean every other manager should "just in case".

I don't see how only having 2 or 3 days to prepare for a game after the Europa League suddenly means 'ah fuck it let's just batter the ball at Ba and Cisse in a flat 4-4-2', if we'd been consistently working on one fluid formation all season (i.e. from the start of pre-season) then this lack of prep time wouldn't matter. Pardew probably just spends all of it telling our players to shit themselves because we're up against Cameron Jerome, Shaun Derry, Craig Mackail-Smith etc this week and they are fucking BRILLIANT players.

Sadly I'm struggling to hold it against him too much, we're in deep shit in the league and need every advantage we can get. We've already seen with the Europa League how things go to shit with only a few days between matches. It probably shouldn't be the case, but apparently it is. If we were due to play Man Utd, Man City and Chelsea then perhaps he wouldn't have rested Colo/Cisse/Marv. In reality our games are far too important.

I don't disagree either tbh, I just took the initial "forfeit the cup" a bit too literally. I do hope we can build up a safe-ish gap between us and the drop zone in time for us to really give the Europa a crack though, it's all we have to look forward to.

Pardew isn't fully to blame either, as much as I don't think he's the right man for the job our squad depth is pitiful and once again it's showing.

Sadly I'm struggling to hold it against him too much, we're in deep shit in the league and need every advantage we can get. We've already seen with the Europa League how things go to shit with only a few days between matches. It probably shouldn't be the case, but apparently it is. If we were due to play Man Utd, Man City and Chelsea then perhaps he wouldn't have rested Colo/Cisse/Marv. In reality our games are far too important.

I don't disagree either tbh, I just took the initial "forfeit the cup" a bit too literally. I do hope we can build up a safe-ish gap between us and the drop zone in time for us to really give the Europa a crack though, it's all we have to look forward to.

Pardew isn't fully to blame either, as much as I don't think he's the right man for the job our squad depth is pitiful and once again it's showing.

:sadnod:

I think we should bring in a manager with clear potential and a good footballing philosophy and stick with him.

Sounds like Martinez to me!

Amusing how people are having a pop at Pardew's record in cup competitions then and calling for Martinez to come in instead.

I think we should bring in a manager with clear potential and a good footballing philosophy and stick with him.

This is always the best thing to do, but its like the club (and so many others) have a gambling problem. The 'best man for the job, or the best we can get' is always appointed, but when things go wrong the grass always becomes greener, and there's absolutely no doubt in my mind that if we appointed someone else they'd be under the exact same scrutiny Pardew is now, even if they have a better philosophy. If he didn't have the relationship he has with the hierarchy he'd be out already, I wasn't a fan when he was appointed, won me over last season (yes like pretty much everyone) but those initial fears seem to have been realised.

It's either an endemic problem, or just the nature of management. It's easy to look at the Ferguson's and Wenger's as the ideal, but in reality I think they are more the exception - and not an exception that can be easily predicted upon appointing a manager.

I'd give Pardew another 6 matches to turn it around, if we're still spiraling out of control Ashley really should make a move. Saying that, if the ship goes down, I think the captain will be coming along for the ride.

This is always the best thing to do, but its like the club (and so many others) have a gambling problem. The 'best man for the job, or the best we can get' is always appointed, but when things go wrong the grass always becomes greener, and there's absolutely no doubt in my mind that if we appointed someone else they'd be under the exact same scrutiny Pardew is now, even if they have a better philosophy. If he didn't have the relationship he has with the hierarchy he'd be out already, I wasn't a fan when he was appointed, won me over last season (yes like pretty much everyone) but those initial fears seem to have been realised.

It's either an endemic problem, or just the nature of management. It's easy to look at the Ferguson's and Wenger's as the ideal, but in reality I think they are more the exception - and not an exception that can be easily predicted upon appointing a manager.

I'd give Pardew another 6 matches to turn it around, if we're still spiraling out of control Ashley really should make a move. Saying that, if the ship goes down, I think the captain will be coming along for the ride.

:snod:

Amusing how people are having a pop at Pardew's record in cup competitions then and calling for Martinez to come in instead.

I've never mentioned cup competitions and wouldn't know I just think there is better quality managers out there who can get us playing better football and with a little more gameplan. You've got to agree some of the team formations and team selections/substitutions have been ridiculous.

Why do inferior players/teams outplay us? Or is it that our players are just not good enough?

I don't know, man. If we lose the next six matches (which is entirely possible) we are utterly fucked. For me, now is the perfect time to bring someone in. Pardew's done.

Games four and five we're almost certainly going to lose though, so that becomes a reasonable hinderance for the sixth and therefore makes 'next six' a bit harsh.

If you're considering making a change, the more important thing is how long is left. Shearer got eight games and most said it wasn't enough time to arrest the fall.

Pardew's really missed a trick by always forfeiting  the cups. Win a cup, any cup and he'lll buy himself years with the fans and probably the board too.

Does anyone seriously believe that Pardew forfeited the cup? What would be the point?

I do. Fewer fixtures, it's quite straightforward.

Has that ever really made a difference? I'm pretty sure the season we last got relegated we crashed out of the FA Cup early as well.

When we got relegated I can't remember the club blaming it almost wholly on injuries and a lack of preparation time between matches.

A 3rd round replay would have taken place between crucial games against Norwich and Reading, with a 4th round match taking place between Reading and Villa.

He wants the time to get players fit, and to focus on stopping those free-scoring sides from playing. ;)

Our squad isn't that small that we need to forfeit cup competitions though, otherwise every other team should be doing the same. This time round, obviously we were short, but for remainder ties there would have been injured players coming back, and any new additions to add to that. I just think it's a lazy excuse that we need to forfeit the cup to concentrate on survival.

I don't think we went there trying to forfeit the game. There is a possibility we didn't risk Colo and Papiss which might have made a difference, but beyond that we just played like shit.

That is the fault of the manager and the players, some of whom went there with things to prove, and beyond Ranger, simply looked like they were less than arsed about their chance.

I appreciated Rangers tweet after the game, seems he is waking up to the fact he is very close to fucking up his future.