Alan Pardew

Dave

I'm amazed at how lenient the media have been on him this season. In years gone by its only taken a couple of losses and all of a sudden the worlds caving in on Barrack Road. And none of those managers were responsible for our worst derby loss in over 30 years. I'm quite amazed, actually. I'm assuming its the absence of any fan pressure being made apparent at SJP, but to think that we're in grave danger of relegation (I reckon we'll finish 17th) is just unforgivable and Pardew can count himself unbelievably fortunate so far.

He seems to give them (the press et al) a lot of time and stuff to throw in stories, the same sort of way Redknapp does. I'm not surprised they're letting him off quite a bit. He's a good talker is Pardew, with the list of excuses to match.

He's painting a picture where it's everything but him that's to blame - people at the training ground, the condition of the pitch, injuries. We've all heard this tripe for long enough now to call bullshit on it. I do think there are a good portion of people giving him the benefit of the doubt due to last seasons achievement though - in the eyes of many, calling for last seasons manager of the year etc sounds ridiculous on the face of it.

The change in emotion from today to this time last year is incredible though.. I genuinely didn't feel that great when we scored and instantly turned to thinking how long it would take West Brom to equalise. It's just becoming so predictable and uninspiring and the final straw for me was the way this utter gobshite seemed to hold them in higher regard, as if a draw with this lot was something to aspire to. We came up with these fuckers from the championship when they were 2nd best to us ffs and even through their managerial change have looked a much better and more organised team despite big parts of their team being utter shite.

I was on a fine line with Pardew for a while now but this was it for me.

Guest firetotheworks

It seems that with each performance there's someone new that sees it as the final straw for them.

Guest hatem garrincha

He got the players to play very good and lovely football but he does nowt with them.

A very limited manager seriously.

It seems the players like him though.

With the exception of QPR, who sacked Hughes, and Villa, still suffering after MON, we are the worst performing team vs. our position in the wages league.

Surely Ashley can see he's not getting value for money. The league is full of managers doing better with poorer players. All of them will be working within financial restraints and will be told to keep off the subject, so the spin aspect of Pardew is hardly exceptional either. Pardew's spin has already worn extremely thin.

As fans, we all know Pardew isn't making sense, but he's not making sense for the owners either. It's not as if better tactics would cost them any money.

The players probably like him but there's a massive lack of respect evident when they step onto the pitch. They're playing like they know he's finished and will do that pathetic thing of upping their game when the new manager comes in.

Nobody can think the players are playing for him because they're just not and haven't been for quite a while on the whole.

It is a mystery that the press and crowd are not going after this charlatan of a manager, not only for the results but more importantly for the rank dire football we play every week. We all have a vested interest in watching our games, but for a neutral its on par with Stoke for ugliness. Interestingly (not really and not surprisingly) the press are not on Redknapp's case either, despite him inheriting an expensive bunch of tosspots and adding Reme, Samba and Townshend etc to the squad. His record is worse than Hughes and Warnock.

If Pardew is giving the press an easy time with plenty of meaningless quotes, they will be quite happy NOT to get on his case as long as the fans don't - after all, the fans are the ones who buy the papers and if they think the press are out of line with their coverage of club and manager, they won't buy the papers...

Its a chicken and egg thing - fans read only good things about Pardew so don't aggravate for his removal; press see that no chants/anti feelings being expressed about Pardew at SJP so go along with what they see as tacit approval for the manager. It is only when fans begin to want the manager out that the press will jump on the band-wagon. Reporters are lazy swines and want to get their stuff into the editorial dept and head off for the pub - although Dalglish had a better record than Pardew when he was here and the players liked him(because he kept any criticism from them), the media were on his back as soon as we faltered because he was obstructive with them and didn't trust them.

The players we have now will only like Pardew if he defends them all the time and gives them an easy ride in training ; whether they actually RESPECT him I would doubt...most of them are internationals and will compare notes about managers at international get-togethers as well as comparing him to those they have had before.....

I think this season and Souness' only full season were in such different circumstances that it's difficult to compare the two and choose which was 'worse'.

Souness was an absolutely tragic experience because:

A. It was clear from day one it was never going to work. That made things just so, agonizingly, frustrating from the word go.

B. Not only were we terrible, we were terrible off the back of an absolutely brilliant few years - with an extremely popular manager - where we even looked capable of winning the title. Again, just beyond frustrating, and that bowled over into serious anger and unrest.

C. Although Souness was at the crux of the matter, there were other things where frustration/anger/hatred emanated from. The squad, for example, was barely likeable - which is the polar opposite of this squad. I can't think of any players in our squad that I actually dislike (maybe Tiote).

This season has just been deflating - from the very beginning of the summer transfer window. Just a total missed opportunity. After the promise of last season, so many likeable players (a likeable manager, too) - and it's just sapped away all season. The situations are different - both were/are God-awful seasons (you can chuck Roeder's in there as well, which was utter pish). The only constant is the bad manager.

People seem to have took the "deluded Geordie" tag to heart and are trying everything in their power to be as passive as possible, despite our manager clearly not fit for purpose.

:thup: :thup: :thup:

Absolutely spot on. We've got a generation of fans who crave "stability" more than they crave winning games.

After relegation and suffering Ashley's approach to running a football club fans are now scared of what comes next. Under Freddie we would be screaming for blood, banners sit down protests the lot to get Pardew out but I feel most are terrified of who Ashley would bring in. With Freddie we knew it would be some kind of top well respected manager but Ashley it could be out of the frying pan into the fire. Even if he did go after some sort of well respected to manager I think we all know there is very little chance of them wanting to come here and work for him and Lambias.

I know its not good and both Pardew and the players seem to have lost their way but I do not believe we "over performed" last season I do believe though we have better players. Stay up give him 10 games next season if it does not look any better than I will be making a banner myself but until then we have no choice but to get behind him as he is going nowhere for now.

Enjoy the mediocrity then - if he stays for long, Ashley is going to have to start giving seats away cheaply like the Mackems did in order to get people in. We once had a 20,000 waiting list for STs...not now.....

Incidentally, how are you so certain that Di Canio is going to be the disaster you seem to think ??

His record at Swindon is decent and he certainly doesn't have the record of being sacked that Pardew has.

Southampton have had 2 managers since they fired Pardew in 2010 and each one has proved to be better than Pardew because they have progressed as a club since

Souness was in charge of recruitment and brought the likes of Boumsong and Amdy Faye. He also froze out Bellamy and Robert.

I dunno if the league is better or worse now ("poor league" is often stated with regard to ManU's big lead) but Pardew has us down in the same position with much better players. Even if you give him 10 points off for injuries, we're still way below where the squad should be.

HBA, Cisse, Cabaye, Krul, Sissoko, .... that's some poisoned chalice for our next manager. They mightn't be queuing up, but plenty will be keen. If anything, its a no-lose situation because whoever comes in can just blame the running of the club and the expectations of the fans if things go wrong and the media will lap it up.

Guest thenorthumbrian

We've got decent players but a manager who is utterly incapable  of getting the  best out of. Pardew should  piss off back down south and manage Barnet or a club at that level. He doesn't belong here.

I would think most people within the game would think Pardew has done a reasonable job here. Sacking thats the easy part getting somebody who is better will be a lot harder than people think.  If you cannot get someone who is a lot better than Pardew what is the point of sacking him.

People seem to have took the "deluded Geordie" tag to heart and are trying everything in their power to be as passive as possible, despite our manager clearly not fit for purpose.

:thup: :thup: :thup:

Absolutely spot on. We've got a generation of fans who crave "stability" more than they crave winning games.

After relegation and suffering Ashley's approach to running a football club fans are now scared of what comes next. Under Freddie we would be screaming for blood, banners sit down protests the lot to get Pardew out but I feel most are terrified of who Ashley would bring in. With Freddie we knew it would be some kind of top well respected manager but Ashley it could be out of the frying pan into the fire. Even if he did go after some sort of well respected to manager I think we all know there is very little chance of them wanting to come here and work for him and Lambias.

I know its not good and both Pardew and the players seem to have lost their way but I do not believe we "over performed" last season I do believe though we have better players. Stay up give him 10 games next season if it does not look any better than I will be making a banner myself but until then we have no choice but to get behind him as he is going nowhere for now.

Enjoy the mediocrity then - if he stays for long, Ashley is going to have to start giving seats away cheaply like the Mackems did in order to get people in. We once had a 20,000 waiting list for STs...not now.....

Incidentally, how are you so certain that Di Canio is going to be the disaster you seem to think ??

His record at Swindon is decent and he certainly doesn't have the record of being sacked that Pardew has.

Southampton have had 2 managers since they fired Pardew in 2010 and each one has proved to be better than Pardew because they have progressed as a club since

Aye, you have to laugh at those writing off Di Canio. He might turn out to be a bad fit long term, but he's already succeeded at Sunderland. They were on their way down with three very tough fixtures facing them and they got 6 points, smashed the derby jinx at the home of their rivals...that's us btw....and watched Di Canio shove Pardew's face in the dirt. He's already a fucking LEGEND on wearside.

I would think most people within the game would think Pardew has done a reasonable job here. Sacking thats the easy part getting somebody who is better will be a lot harder than people think.  If you cannot get someone who is a lot better than Pardew what is the point of sacking him.

We can get someone a lot better than Pardew, he's absolutely rotten.

I cannot believe he is not getting some serious shit from the fans, I really can't.

For all the money he spent in Jan or should I say the amount of players we signed, we have made no progress what so ever. Same shit week in week out.

It's worth noting that he has been in charge of us for 2 home games against Liverpool and we have won them both. Also I was going to say this before the match yesterday but didn't get round to it. The last time we got beaten by WBA away our manager (CH) got sacked afterwards, we then played our next game against Liverpool at home and won with our new manager (AP) in charge.

I'm just clinging on to hope that somehow this is the game Pardew always seems to win, every manager has one.

I cannot believe he is not getting some serious shit from the fans, I really can't.

For all the money he spent in Jan or should I say the amount of players we signed, we have made no progress what so ever. Same shit week in week out.

Ironically I think we need a win before we can shout for his head. A win and we are pretty much safe and it wouldn't effect the players too much, anything other than that then the chants could have a negative effect. I also think that we shouldn't sack him until we are safe or the season has ended as that also has a good chance of negatively effecting the players if he does have a good relationship with them as is reported.