Alan Pardew

Dave

Easier on the eye, and far more effective than the hit and hope stuff being dished out in previous games....why has he had to come under so much presssure from fans and results before taking action to utilise the players' skills better ?

I never thought tonight's result would decide Pardew's fate unless we took a real tonking because the board are in a corner ... for now. Even so, we have a tough programme between now and mid-Jan, so I reckon the jury is still out on his fate. Get bombed out of the Cup again by Brighton and hovering near bottom 3 by mid-Jan and I reckon the pressure will be back on big-time.

In the meantime, we can be grateful for small mercies and enjoy a few days breathing space...

I came away from the match happy for the first time in the league this season.  I'm a bit p*ssed off that it's taken 15 games to put on a performance but we can't go back in time and change anything so might as well enjoy it.

Yep, let's look forward instead of back.  I've been very critical of Pardew this season and am still not convinced he's the man to take us forward but the fact he finally abandoned that abortion of a system we were playing is a good sign.

I just hope he's starting to learn the lessons he should have learnt 10 games ago and we can push on from here.  We won't be able to judge anything from the Bordeaux game as it's going to be the under 11s playing at this rate but our next PL game should give an idea whether he's really turned a corner or not.

Easier on the eye, and far more effective than the hit and hope stuff being dished out in previous games....why has he had to come under so much presssure from fans and results before taking action to utilise the players' skills better ?

I never thought tonight's result would decide Pardew's fate unless we took a real tonking because the board are in a corner ... for now. Even so, we have a tough programme between now and mid-Jan, so I reckon the jury is still out on his fate. Get bombed out of the Cup again by Brighton and hovering near bottom 3 by mid-Jan and I reckon the pressure will be back on big-time.

In the meantime, we can be grateful for small mercies and enjoy a few days breathing space...

Players looked much more 'on it' to me. Marv and Anita looked like they were playing for their lives.

The slightly softer system encourages shorter passing (just saying) and movement. Cisse looked like he has another gear (when encouraged not to just goal hang). All in all a delightful game notwithstanding the huge chunk of luck. Not out of the woods yet and I suspect Wigan would have given us a real game (looking at the first 10min).

I think we have a chance at Fulham if we go there and play.

The top sides are due a dip as well. Arsenal look beatable atm. Especially if we keep passing and get Hatem back.

Main concern is withstanding Williamson for the whole of december. Might see Perch in there if we're lucky.

last 2 games have shown he clearly hasn't lost the dressing room as was being suggested by some.

delighted we have stopped lumping it forward, hopefully it stays this way.

I'm bewildered why he has taken so long to change it mind, but thank god he has.

last 2 games have shown he clearly hasn't lost the dressing room as was being suggested by some.

delighted we have stopped lumping it forward, hopefully it stays this way.

I'm bewildered why he has taken so long to change it mind, but thank god he has.

I don't think there was any major sea change change in our philosophy last night, it is how Pardew and the team ideally want to play. We resort to lumping it when we are put under more pressure, and we will go back to doing it again in the coming games.

We all hate it, but I'll still have a certain degree of sympathy with it as long as we struggle to put out a fairly consistent side (whether that is due to injuries or the fatigue of a squad lacking depth in Europe).

We did alright tonight, but one thing that I've noticed with Pardew is that we're always happy with a 2/3 goal lead. Noticed it again tonight when we were 3-0 up, had the chance to counter from a corner, but nobody was pushing forward and the ball went back to Wigan.

The 1-3 at West Brom last season the same kind of thing happened, we played some amazing stuff first half, but we just seemed to be content with having a decent lead with chances coming here and there. My memory isn't the best but I think the last time we scored 4 goals in a game was Wolves at home in 2010-11? Don't get me wrong i'm over the moon with the win,but we could of raped Wigan tonight and we just went a bit flat after we were comfortable. Does my head in that we've not gave anybody a thrashing for ages.

Good post.  We almost exclusively look to sit back and defend a lead.  We just lack the players for it to work effectively and it's horrible to watch.  Wigan looked dangerous for a spell at the start of the second half.  We were all over the shop and invited too much pressure.  We end up looking nervy, the crowd get edgy and it's just a vicious circle.  The game against Maritimo was a perfect example and we were guilty of it to a point against Stoke.

I'm not saying we should be gung ho, but we certainly need to be more positive.  The 2 or 3 hammerings we had last season didn't help the goal dif, but neither did the negative, sit back on a slender lead mentality.  There have been lots of games where the opposition are there for the taking, we have a chance to boost the goals for column, pass the ball about nicely and get a bit of confidence up.  We just plonk everyone behind the ball!

Would be foolish to get too carried away, bit hard to judge the performance really.  But there were a lot of positives to take at least. 

We did alright tonight, but one thing that I've noticed with Pardew is that we're always happy with a 2/3 goal lead. Noticed it again tonight when we were 3-0 up, had the chance to counter from a corner, but nobody was pushing forward and the ball went back to Wigan.

The 1-3 at West Brom last season the same kind of thing happened, we played some amazing stuff first half, but we just seemed to be content with having a decent lead with chances coming here and there. My memory isn't the best but I think the last time we scored 4 goals in a game was Wolves at home in 2010-11? Don't get me wrong i'm over the moon with the win,but we could of raped Wigan tonight and we just went a bit flat after we were comfortable. Does my head in that we've not gave anybody a thrashing for ages.

Good post.  We almost exclusively look to sit back and defend a lead.  We just lack the players for it to work effectively and it's horrible to watch.  Wigan looked dangerous for a spell at the start of the second half.  We were all over the shop and invited too much pressure.  We end up looking nervy, the crowd get edgy and it's just a vicious circle.  The game against Maritimo was a perfect example and we were guilty of it to a point against Stoke.

I'm not saying we should be gung ho, but we certainly need to be more positive.  The 2 or 3 hammerings we had last season didn't help the goal dif, but neither did the negative, sit back on a slender lead mentality.  There have been lots of games where the opposition are there for the taking, we have a chance to boost the goals for column, pass the ball about nicely and get a bit of confidence up.  We just plonk everyone behind the ball!

Would be foolish to get too carried away, bit hard to judge the performance really.  But there were a lot of positives to take at least.

Did we actually sit back, or did Wigan not come out for the second half in desperate need for an early goal? We contained them fairly well and then got back into our stride.

Did we actually sit back, or did Wigan not come out for the second half in desperate need for an early goal? We contained them fairly well and then got back into our stride.

Bit of both clearly, but I think we sat back for quite a lot of the second half.  We were comfortable for the majority, but if Kone didn't play in blind alleys like Martins and Di Santo looked to pass instead of shank it from 30 yards, they might have posed more problems. 

We lack any composure at the back.  Even Colo seems to have caught the Williamson bug.  We looked a bit rushed for 5-10 minutes and kept giving the ball back to them to start another attack.  But once Bigi settled, we started playing well again in fairness. 

I'm not basing this just on last night, as for the most part, it was enjoyable to watch and we were much improved.  But it's been a feature of Pardew's time in charge.  Sorry to bring it up again, but the 4 days defensive work, 1 day attacking quote might be a factor!?

Last time we played Wigan we got beat by 5 right? And people wonder why he tried to close the game out when we were on top? :lol:

I just find it amazing that anyone can dispute that it actually happened. :lol: We try to close every game out ages before the last 20 minutes, you'd think it would have sunk in by now that this is what we do. But no, we were just trying to contain Wigan, it's just a coincidence.

I'm not even saying I have a problem with it this time, we needed to win and we won well. But it definitely happened ffs. :lol:

What last night highlighted for me was the effectiveness of a player with Marveaux's attributes spending more time in a central position, and the damage it can do. Ben Arfa is obviously superior, and should play the same role when he's in the side, especially against the "lesser" teams.

There's a time to be disciplined, and I believe HBA has proved he can be, and a time to allow a master artist to just paint a beautiful picture.

I hope Pardew can liberate the few creative players we have, having realized that it's only way we're going to get the best out of them.

Guest firetotheworks

For once I was all for just knocking it about and conserving energy. It was all over once that second went in and they never caused any problems at all.

A nice confidence boosting haul of goals might have been nice, but there was no need to go into another gear when we already had 2 and then 3 players go off injured, were 2 goals up and a man up.

The circumstances were right. It's when Pardew does it when we're drawing/behind with a full strength team against teams we should be ripping apart that I have a problem.

Bit of both clearly, but I think we sat back for quite a lot of the second half.  We were comfortable for the majority, but if Kone didn't play in blind alleys like Martins and Di Santo looked to pass instead of shank it from 30 yards, they might have posed more problems. 

We lack any composure at the back.  Even Colo seems to have caught the Williamson bug.  We looked a bit rushed for 5-10 minutes and kept giving the ball back to them to start another attack.  But once Bigi settled, we started playing well again in fairness. 

I'm not basing this just on last night, as for the most part, it was enjoyable to watch and we were much improved.  But it's been a feature of Pardew's time in charge.  Sorry to bring it up again, but the 4 days defensive work, 1 day attacking quote might be a factor!?

You're right, we have really struggled to get a grip defensively this season which I think has a fair bit to do with the lack of a settled side through injuries etc, Tiote's loss of form, and a lack of decent movement in front of them. We just can't take much pressure without panicking and lumping it forward which is driving us all nuts.

I would love to know though whether this 4 days defensive work one day attacking was as rigid as people hold it.

I think when Pardew first arrived, like most managers, he focused primarily on getting the defensive side right. I t may still be the case, but I doubt it.

Besides we struggle to get even two days of intensive training in these days what with our European jaunt. :laugh:

Last time we played Wigan we got beat by 5 right? And people wonder why he tried to close the game out when we were on top? :lol:

I just find it amazing that anyone can dispute that it actually happened. :lol: We try to close every game out ages before the last 20 minutes, you'd think it would have sunk in by now that this is what we do. But no, we were just trying to contain Wigan, it's just a coincidence.

I'm not even saying I have a problem with it this time, we needed to win and we won well. But it definitely happened ffs. :lol:

Can't believe anyone is even annoyed by it, we were desperate for a win and we played to make sure we got it. That's good management.

Can't believe anyone is even annoyed by it, we were desperate for a win and we played to make sure we got it. That's good management.

No problem with us closing out the game, that is actually good management. It's just a shame it took so long to pick a side which looked almost balanced. Marveaux and Anita were revelations when we set out to play the ball on the deck.

Where's Otter gone btw? I imagine his incredulous jaw must have been hitting the floor last night?

Not just that, but the team we had out in the second half meant it was always going to be a bit disjointed. Three kids on the pitch, needing the three points. I've no problem with how the 2nd half went.