Alan Pardew

Dave

His subs were too late really but the fault for today falls at the feet of the players who didn't make their chances count. Swansea dominated the first half, then Newcastle came out in the second and took control so not much else can be asked of Pardew in that regard.

No major complaints today, although I do think Anita and Marveaux should have gotten some time on the pitch (more than 3 mins in Marv's case).

:thup:

For once I don't think we can put the blame on Pards. We were unLukey.

Our defending and discipline when we don't have the ball needs to still be tightened up but I thought that overall, he was fine today, the players are more at fault this time. Perhaps he could have made a change a bit earlier but we'd been playing so well.

I'll say it now before the bashing brigade comes in. Not his fault today. We could have just as easily finished off a 2-0 win and an excellent 2nd half performance away from home. A mix of poor finishing and comical defending cost us the game, but it shouldn't take away from the positives. There was really only a 15 minute spell in the first half where they were on top.

We were on top 2nd half and needed something different in our game which we didn't try to do until the 89th minute.  I think Pardew got the players fired up in the 2nd half and we gained from that but we also suffered because his lack of willingness to try something different while we were still going to get a point.

I like Jonas as a person but he's bringing nothing to the team and Marveaux is much more likely to tip the game in our favour than Jonas.

Guest icemanblue

Funny that he publicly derided Wayne Routledge as not good enough when two years later he's still better than everyone we have in that position other than Ben Arfa.

Do you not like Pardew Wullie?

:lol:

Funny that he publicly derided Wayne Routledge as not good enough when two years later he's still better than everyone we have in that position other than Ben Arfa.

Routledge has improved immeasurably since he joined Swansea. By the time he left us he was playing shite every week. It's a moot point, anyway.

I don't think Pardew got anything wrong today. I thought we could have done with a switch ten minutes from time, to rebuild the pressure after it had subsided, but we were playing well as a team at the time. You could say, on the basis of the match, that a defensive rick was always a possibility - but I don't blame him for having faith in his defenders to deal with simple balls.

There was a moment where Jonas was just looking terrible leggy - was probably the time to bring on Obertan or Marv and he didn't. I thought that would have been us trying to go for it.

I thought we bounced back in the 2nd half and looked really dangerous and worked our socks off. Unlucky to not get at least a point - undone by a sloppy error in the back.

Hopefully we get something in Russia and can carry it on for a home win vs. Stoke.

Routledge has improved immeasurably since he joined Swansea. By the time he left us he was playing s**** every week. It's a moot point, anyway.

I don't think Pardew got anything wrong today. I thought we could have done with a switch ten minutes from time, to rebuild the pressure after it had subsided, but we were playing well as a team at the time. You could say, on the basis of the match, that a defensive rick was always a possibility - but I don't blame him for having faith in his defenders to deal with simple balls.

I'm not sure how you can say that he got nothing wrong then say he could have made the switch 10 minutes earlier.  Is that not a contradiction by you?  I think he should have made the changes on 70 minutes but he was never going to while it was 0-0.

Routledge has improved immeasurably since he joined Swansea. By the time he left us he was playing s**** every week. It's a moot point, anyway.

I'm not sure how you can say that he got nothing wrong then say he could have made the switch 10 minutes earlier.  Is that not a contradiction by you?  I think he should have made the changes on 70 minutes but he was never going to while it was 0-0.

Fair point, but what I'm saying is that I understand why he kept it as it was. Disco made a point in another thread - a switch then would probably have been reactionary. It might have left us susceptible on the counter against a team with brilliant movement. We missed chances, but we had eleven players out there capable of getting the silver medal in closing the game out for a draw.

Routledge has improved immeasurably since he joined Swansea. By the time he left us he was playing shite every week. It's a moot point, anyway.

Has he bollocks, man. He's just being played in a 4-3-3 instead of being asked to graft in a rigid 4-4-2.

Routledge has always been good enough for our squad and would walk into our team with Hatem out.

Fair point, but what I'm saying is that I understand why he kept it as it was. Disco made a point in another thread - a switch then would probably have been reactionary. It might have left us susceptible on the counter against a team with brilliant movement. We missed chances, but we had eleven players out there capable of getting the silver medal in closing the game out for a draw.

All substitutions are reactionary, that's why you have them so that you can react to a situation.  I think we were so far on top that taking off Jonas would have had no negative impact, especially considering how little he was involved.  In the end they made changes and that gave them fresh legs to push out with and we paid for that.

Has he bollocks, man. He's just being played in a 4-3-3 instead of being asked to graft in a rigid 4-4-2.

Routledge has always been good enough for our squad and would walk into our team with Hatem out.

Agreed.

His results still aren't good enough to justify keeping his job imo. Given the amount of investment in January, it was imperative that we made a surge into the top half to ensure we keep players like Cabaye and Ben Arfa. That hasn't happened.

That side today should not be losing to a very lacklustre Swansea City, I don't care how many chances they had.

We were 16th after the Reading game, gave him some fantastic players, now we're 15th. That's nowhere near enough improvement. Our away form remains disgustingly poor.

Absolutely.

Agreed.