Newcastle vs Aston Villa - 02/09/12 @ 4pm NOT ON TELEVISION

Beren

Villa are awful and if this game was further into the season and they play like they have in their first 2 games then I would say we would give them a good hiding, as it is though we aren't fully fit hence my earlier close win to us prediction.

If we do win this then it will be interesting to see what happens to Villa because from what I have seen if they play like they currently do then they would have relegation troubles in the Championship never mind the Premiership.

We must capitalise on this.

Given's decline started when Harewood butchered him at Upton Park. Never quite been the same since then imo.

Given was good for us last season, but you have to put up with the fact that while he'll pull off amazing world class saves, he has absolutely no idea how to marshall a defence.

Guzan will be our first choice keeper by the end of the season, and will possibly start tomorrow.

Fancy Cisse to get a couple tomorrow.

Yeah needs to get his season started. Was poor in all the games so far but he should be nice and rested now ready for 2moz.

I reckon he'll get going relatively soon, hopefully tomorrow. Ramadan hasn't helped, but he looked sharp in the 1st leg against Atromitos and has soon as he gets one he'll be back to scoring regularly.

Always thought Given was a cracking shot stopper, but an average keeper. Definitely a period maybe 02/03? Can't remember exactly but I recall a lot of fans actually would have preferred it if Harper was the number 1. Shame the way Harper's career has gone actually.

Around 2000-1, even the start of that 01-02 season I remember talk of Given being dropped for the Boro game (he'd had a howler at Chelsea and against Troyes at a time him & Harper were neck-and-neck). He saved a penalty at Boro (albeit one of the worst I've ever seen from Greening) and he never looked back. Was untouchable from that point on.

you wish you were in europa league nonsense on thursdays  :hmm:

Genuinely, no, I don't.

The novelty wore off pretty quickly when we were in it. Although we did make it easier the last two years by going out to Rapid Vienna in the first round :-/

It's a ridiculous format for a competition. The only thing I did use to like about it was the fact that I've always liked night games, and was working in central Birmingham at the time, so it was convenient.

It's good when you play Ajax or some mental Eastern European team you've heard of before, but ties against the likes of FC Harfardhahahaha of Iceland or MSK Zilina aren't really that much of a draw.

It really is the format. It just goes on and on and on.

who does villa have on lb position?

Well, we've got three LBs. Stephen Warnock, who is shite, and is training with the kids until someone takes him away. Enda Stephens, who is a kid. Joe Bennett who we signed last week.

We played Nathan Baker there last week, but he'll be in his natural position at CB tomorrow as Ciaran Clark is suspended. Baker is very impressive.

who does villa have on lb position?

Well, we've got three LBs. Stephen Warnock, who is shite, and is training with the kids until someone takes him away. Enda Stephens, who is a kid. Joe Bennett who we signed last week.

http://i.imgur.com/Cqo8i.jpg

Suppose it's easier to gain enjoyment from a competition if your club isn't getting battered by Austrian farm labourers.

Very good.

I didn't enjoy it much when we were doing well in it, mind.

We'd got to a decent point, had drawn CSKA Moscow, and MON decided finishing fourth was more important, and decided to play the youth team. It's a bit sad when finishing fourth gets seen as more important than European silverware, but the worst thing is, I thought he did the right thing at the time.

That problably says a bit about what's wrong with football these days.