How highly do you rate... Robert Pires?

Beren

What a player. Without a doubt one of the greatest. I ranked him and real ronaldo the greatest until messi tagged along.

Think he'll always be my favourite footballer. I like him as a player more than any NUFC player. Never supported any team Ronaldo was in apart from Brazil during the world cups but I followed him a fair amount. Got more enjoyment from watching him play than anyone else. Beardsley is probably second purely because of bias

for me, he was the ultimate striker. Still is.

Loved Zidane. My 2nd favourite player of all time. (Yeah, No 1 is Shearer)

He was a big game player too. Amazing touch, vision, awareness. His performance at Euro 2000 was a joy to watch. We've certainly haven't seen a better international tournament performance since. (Figo was also class at Euro 2000, tbf.)

His goal against Leverkusen was just gorgeous. :pedro:

But I was quite saddened seeing it all end like this -

http://fakoamerica.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/zidane_trophy.jpg

:no:

Guest firetotheworks

He was brilliant I would say 80% of the time. He was sn artist with the ball without being showy. He was efficient but extremely graceful. I wouldn't have him as high as Messi and the real Ronaldo at their best, but he'd walk into the team of best players I've seen in my lifetime.

FWIW

Buffon

Alves

Nesta

Baresi

Maldini

Zidane

Xavi

Ronaldinho (even if it wasn't for that long)

Messi

Ronaldo

Ronaldo

For me, the best player ever. Maradona would be but never really saw him play.

When someone says football is a beautiful game ZZ is one of the reasons. Such technique, such flair and all great players need a bit of personality. That`s one reason why Messi for me isnt the greatest ever.

He was brilliant I would say 80% of the time. He was sn artist with the ball without being showy. He was efficient but extremely graceful. I wouldn't have him as high as Messi and the real Ronaldo at their best, but he'd walk into the team of best players I've seen in my lifetime.

FWIW

Buffon

Alves

Nesta

Baresi

Maldini

Zidane

Xavi

Messi

Ronaldo

Ronaldo

i like your list , but i'd switch Alves with Cafu

FWIW

Buffon

Alves

Nesta

Baresi

Maldini

Zidane

Xavi

Messi

Ronaldo

Ronaldo

i like your list , but i'd switch Alves with Cafu

I'd switch Cafu with Zanetti.

Oliver Kahn would be my choice for a goalkeeper in a team like that btw. Buffon's a great goalkeeper, been consistent for years since not getting injurey anymore like in the early stages of his career, but Kahn was the absolute best goalkeeper ever imo.

Guest Dontooner

Definitely one of the better players of the previous generation of players. I liked how he affected the game on all areas of the pitch as other greats were usually effective  in the  final third. He has always had a sense of controlling the tempo of the game, which imo is the highest level where intelligence can positively affect a sport. He is like a manager on the field some times, though there are definitely more passionate,flared and naturally gifted players then him. However, i have yet to see someone that has use intelligence to impact the game on his level.

Great on his day and a real man for the big occasion. The only problem was that he wasn't consistent, especially at club level and tended to not bother to perform in the lesser games.

Truly beautiful to watch though which is why he probably gets rated as highly as he does.

Even though he played further forward somebody like Robert Baggio could control a game like Zidane could but he was also far more consistent and effective.

Oliver Kahn would be my choice for a goalkeeper in a team like that btw. Buffon's a great goalkeeper, been consistent for years since not getting injurey anymore like in the early stages of his career, but Kahn was the absolute best goalkeeper ever imo.

The Great Dane imo.

Might tinker with the format a little bit - as everyone seems to be very highly rated so far :laugh:

Whoever a poster wants to nominate to be next, has to nominate them because they feel they are either over or underrated by reference to another player who (by consensus) is generally regarded as better/worse.

For example, if I wanted to nominate Shola I'd say: I nominate Shola because he is underrated, and is actually much better than Shearer.

Might encourage better discussion than everyone agreeing the nominated person is great :pow:

Might tinker with the format a little bit - as everyone seems to be very highly rated so far :laugh:

Whoever a poster wants to nominate to be next, has to nominate them because they feel they are either over or underrated by reference to another player who (by consensus) is generally regarded as better/worse.

For example, if I wanted to nominate Shola I'd say: I nominate Shola because he is underrated, and is actually much better than Shearer.

Might encourage better discussion than everyone agreeing the nominated person is great :pow:

For some reason I thought Zidane was seen as a bit overrated by some, obviously not. :lol: