Newcastle United 1 - 0 Norwich - 23/09/12 - post-match reaction from page 35

Beren

The PA system in the Gallowgate is a joke, one bloke in front of me was getting quite sulky about it yesterday.

it is shite like

It hasn't worked properly for 5 or 6 seasons.

The PA system in the Gallowgate is a joke, one bloke in front of me was getting quite sulky about it yesterday.

it is s**** like

It hasn't worked properly for 5 or 6 seasons.

I just moved there last year after being in the Leazes L7 for 10 years and the PA up there was really shit. But the Gallowgate is just :anguish:

This fixture last season:

http://www.newcastle-online.org/nufcforum/index.php?topic=91961.850

Check the reactions. Its always going to be nervy if you miss your chances. That day we could've scored 3 or 4, today was the same.

Our team:

Krul

Simpson Williamson Coloccini Gutierrez

Guthrie Perch Cabaye

Ben Arfa Ba Cisse

Progression: nil. :lol:

Anita and Santon are two pretty big "ins", tbh - especially when in means Simpson and Guthrie are the two making way... There is progress - perhaps not of the Robert & Bellamy calibre, but more than "nil".

Quite strange how the shit 1-0 win over Norwich last season and the shit 1-0 win over Norwich this season are probably two of the poorest games of top flight football I've seen involving us in years, probably since Roeder was manager.

Santon was already there! :laugh:

But not being played - wasn't he still recovering from falling off the plane or whatever the reason was for hardly playing the first half of the season?

That rumour was brilliant. The total mentalness of the whole story. :lol:

Probably already been said (I know Pardew has more or less said it) but our team need to stop being so sentimental. Only players in form should be taking penalties. Cissé will score when he scores. We had the same problem last season when the team kept trying to get Ba a goal when others were better placed.

Unprofessional imo, almost schoolboyish. If we're winning 4-0 then maybe that's different.

Not even then IMO. Team always comes first.

Concentrate on winning and the goals for Cisse will come. The more they try to force it, the longer it'll take.

A lack of consistent penalty taker is never a good idea in my book. Assert your authority, have 1, 2, 3 sorted out and stick to it. Otherwise only problems can arise (when penalties are missed and the such).

I think part of the problem may be the lack of authority held by the captain of a football team - a phenomenon that is unusual in team sports. You never see two rugby players arguing about who's going to take a kick, because the captain decides.

In football, there seems to be a power vacuum because the captain's role in tactics is small compared to the manager, but the manager is off the field and can't intervene in arguments between players.

I'd agree that the manager has to have a plan for penalties, but it's equally important that the captain has the authority to enforce it.

Guest firetotheworks

I can't imagine anyone disagreeing with Colo, if he'd be on mind. For some reason I can with Jonas though, not because he doesn't hold any authority, just because he's so bloody lovely.

Probably already been said (I know Pardew has more or less said it) but our team need to stop being so sentimental. Only players in form should be taking penalties. Cissé will score when he scores. We had the same problem last season when the team kept trying to get Ba a goal when others were better placed.

Unprofessional imo, almost schoolboyish. If we're winning 4-0 then maybe that's different.

Not even then IMO. Team always comes first.

Concentrate on winning and the goals for Cisse will come. The more they try to force it, the longer it'll take.

A lack of consistent penalty taker is never a good idea in my book. Assert your authority, have 1, 2, 3 sorted out and stick to it. Otherwise only problems can arise (when penalties are missed and the such).

I think part of the problem may be the lack of authority held by the captain of a football team - a phenomenon that is unusual in team sports. You never see two rugby players arguing about who's going to take a kick, because the captain decides.

In football, there seems to be a power vacuum because the captain's role in tactics is small compared to the manager, but the manager is off the field and can't intervene in arguments between players.

I'd agree that the manager has to have a plan for penalties, but it's equally important that the captain has the authority to enforce it.

Good point and I think it may be especially so for us. Nothing against Jonas but I don't think that would have happened if Kevin Nolan had been around.

Also while I don't like to see players surrounding officials en masse, I do think we're a bit of a soft touch when it comes to 50/50's, apealling etc and could do with one or two "captains" letting their feelings be known from time to time.

I can't imagine anyone disagreeing with Colo, if he'd be on mind. For some reason I can with Jonas though, not because he doesn't hold any authority, just because he's so bloody lovely.

It's because he is so lovely that he wanted Cisse to take it in the first place.